IST: Cubs vs Brewers

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
93 pitches in 5 innings tells me he wasn't real sharp....I don't disagree with the pull just who he replaced him with.
It would be nice if he lasted longer but I'll take 5IP/1ER from Darvish instead of his early season struggles

TL1961

Liked Posts:
3-2 A's.

Cards add a run after A's walk Ozuna, wild pitch him to second, and allow a base hit to Krappy Kolten Wong after he was 0-2.

Bottom of 8th now.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
3-2 A's.

Cards add a run after A's walk Ozuna, wild pitch him to second, and allow a base hit to Krappy Kolten Wong after he was 0-2.

Bottom of 8th now.
It's over now. 1.5 game lead right?

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I don't see a lot of runs being scored vs the A's unless the wind is blowing out

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Maldonado is one of the top framers in MLB. His D has kept him employed in spite of no bat. The WS favorites, who had him last year, reacquired him for his D.

Taylor Davis is 29 and in the minors.

There is a world of difference.
Maldanado was in the minors until 25. Yet again, you are acting like a guy who is going to play once a week is a huge difference. Maldanado has been a starter twice in the league. He was traded for Mike Montgomery and Tony Kemp. If he was this huge difference maker, it wouldnt be for league average players. It is a back up catcher.

DB012031

Liked Posts:
It would be nice if he lasted longer but I'll take 5IP/1ER from Darvish instead of his early season struggles

Also have to keep in mind that he would have probably gone 6 innings had Kemp not booted that Double Play in the 3rd inning (atleast that's what inning I thought it happened it). Kemp makes that play 99/100 times and Yu throws about 20 less pitches in that inning..

DanTown

Liked Posts:
Maldonado has a 0.5 fWAR in 289 PA this year.

Contreras on the year is at 2.2 fWAR in 340 PA this year.

Caratini on the year is a 0.8 fWAR in 140 PA this year.

Why every conversation on catchers dissolves into how well they do one facet of the job (whether it be framing or batting) and not just using highly respected numbers that account for all sides of offense and defense in terms of identifying value is crazy. Contreras is a very bad defensive catcher, I would love to see him move to the OF but part of that is because the team would then be able to start Caratini more, a guy I think has the potential to be a 3-4 fWAR catcher in a league where those are quite rare. But if the Cubs didn't have Caratini, even with his deficiencies in terms of framing, I still think Contreras is a fairly quality starting C and you wouldn't replace him just to get a light hitting framer in the game because that guy is worth less than likely the position player Contreras replaces.

With regards to the trade and the hindsight, Kemp is a bigger need and necessary talent to the roster than Maldonado. Even in this worse case scenario where Contreras is out, would you rather have Kemp and Taylor Davis or Garcia and Maldonado?

Last edited: