IST: Cubs vs Cards

PickSix

Liked Posts:
They were talking on the Score tonight about how you just can't touch this precious "core" of Baez, Contreras, Rizzo and Bryant...and I'm thinking with half your regular lineup supposedly "untouchable" why the hell is 3rd place in the division the best they could do? Maybe...just maybe...this "core" is incredibly overrated. If they were that damn good we wouldn't be in 3rd friggin place. Are the 4 other guys in the regular lineup that damn bad that it brings this fantastic "core" down to this level of being just above a .500 team? Castellanos is part of those "other" guys as well and during his time as part of the lineup the team still didn't do squat...which actually makes this precious "core" look even worse. Schwarber is part of the "others" outside the "core" and he leads the team in home runs for gawds sake. Then you have Heyward who leveled out to his usual low average...and then guys like Almora, Bote, Russell, Zobrist , Caratini and Happ interchanged to create the daily lineup.

How come this special "core" four...and you add Castellanos and Schwarber to that lineup could only muster 3rd place in the division? Maybe it's becuz this special "core" just isn't as damn good as everyone wants to think they are. We have an emotional attachment to this "core" and it runs deep in the media and fan base....despite the numbers and the standings. It's time to get real about this team. You have the "core" 4 plus Castellanos and Schwarber. That's 6 guys in your regular lineup who are supposed to be really good. The only thing is...they just aren't. Or else they wouldn't be a 3rd place friggin team.

I certainly agree with this. The blessed core is way too over thought of.
Unfortunately this mess isn’t going to be resolved by fixing or tweaking a couple items.
There is the obvious bullpen train wreck that Theo must take full responsibility for. A very highly paid group. Please stop buying damaged or downside goods.
Our highly paid starting staff lacks a true #1 and Lester looking like a big locked in liability headed into next year.
And then there is the issue that this team is just baseball stupid. What happened to the highly touted Cubbie Way bs? I struggle with how much of this is Maddon and his assistant coach merry go round vs Theo’s talent evaluation and not culling the cancers.
But my biggest worry is Theo’s statistical belief in long ball or bust mentality. Watching these guys score 14 runs is indeed fun. But then they bust scoring 2 each the next couple of games. That gives you a league leading 6 runs per game, but a 1-2 record.
I’m not convinced that Theo has the ability to evaluate true winning baseball players vs fun to watch guys.

Voges

Liked Posts:
Pigfucker Cards fans in front of me (in Blues sweaters on an80 degree day) are obnoxious as hell.

No more arrogant fan base in sports. And that includes Kansas basketball fans and Packer fans.
Relax, generally speaking, fans are the same everywhere. No group is truly the most arrogant... Hell, remember when many Cubs fans (and media) were talking about a possible dynasty after the young Cubs won in 2016? Thats pretty "arrogant" too. Nobody hates the self imposed "Best fans in baseball" moniker more then me. The term "Cardinal Nation" drives me nuts... But Cards fans aren't any different...better or worse...than fans everywhere.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
so, got out of the car entering the ninth, got the tv on, chose cable box, changed the channel, and I see kimbrel, 3 pitches, nobody on, 1-0 count and could not figure out what could have happened.

Holy shit.

Some teams are destined to lose.

Wieck getting trusted to finish the 8th was so big, I sure hope Wieck and Wick are at least gonna make this team next year, only pen guy signed is Kimbrel, right?

Wonder if David Ross is even going to want to consider this job. Maybe Lester will be his pitching coach.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
They were talking on the Score tonight about how you just can't touch this precious "core" of Baez, Contreras, Rizzo and Bryant...and I'm thinking with half your regular lineup supposedly "untouchable" why the hell is 3rd place in the division the best they could do? Maybe...just maybe...this "core" is incredibly overrated. If they were that damn good we wouldn't be in 3rd friggin place. Are the 4 other guys in the regular lineup that damn bad that it brings this fantastic "core" down to this level of being just above a .500 team? Castellanos is part of those "other" guys as well and during his time as part of the lineup the team still didn't do squat...which actually makes this precious "core" look even worse. Schwarber is part of the "others" outside the "core" and he leads the team in home runs for gawds sake. Then you have Heyward who leveled out to his usual low average...and then guys like Almora, Bote, Russell, Zobrist , Caratini and Happ interchanged to create the daily lineup.

How come this special "core" four...and you add Castellanos and Schwarber to that lineup could only muster 3rd place in the division? Maybe it's becuz this special "core" just isn't as damn good as everyone wants to think they are. We have an emotional attachment to this "core" and it runs deep in the media and fan base....despite the numbers and the standings. It's time to get real about this team. You have the "core" 4 plus Castellanos and Schwarber. That's 6 guys in your regular lineup who are supposed to be really good. The only thing is...they just aren't. Or else they wouldn't be a 3rd place friggin team.

I think the core is fine. Hate saying this but it's true. All 4 have suffered injuries in the past 2 seasons. It happens.

I think where Theo screwed up was handing out these huge contracts and then not moving Schwarber, Almora or Russell while he potentially could have.

Baez, Bryant, Contreras and Rizzo are fine. They were all hits. But like every team, there are going to be misses on prospects... (Russell, Almora, Happ, etc).

Plan should be keep that core 4 next year, sign Castellanos, fix the bullpen and add a starter or 2. Uphill climb right now..

SilentLurker

Liked Posts:
i thought today was a night game. did they move it up because of rain or something? Or I am mistaken?

I see they are playing and the stadium is half empty.

SilentLurker

Liked Posts:
is kimbrel coming in the 9th to blow the game 3 days in a row? If you see him then for sure Joe's gone and saying F U to Theo.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
This is literally comical. Albert Almora Jr.! Defensive replacement folks!

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
This is similar to the 2004 team. They had a big lead in the WC that year and then had that 3-0 lead going to the bottom of the 9th at the Mets and got walked off. Then they had 7 straight at home to end the year against the Reds who were horrible and the Braves who had already clinched. They lost 5 straight to get eliminated before winning the final meaningless game.

Watch, the Cubs will be eliminated going into the final series vs the Cardinals at their place and they will play great. Fucking bitches.

SilentLurker

Liked Posts:
Cards were going to win anyway. Yu great outing. Don’t blame joe for keeping him in as you can’t trust anyone in the pen.

He made the right pitch but Almora fucked up bad.

Every game they could have won. But bullpen blew 3 and really today too in some way.

Bring in 2020.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Darvish deserved better than that. If Almora reads the line drive right, Darvish wins that game.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'll name the series for you.

The "It ended in tears" series.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Never see such a clutch team

Whatever it took to lose; we found a way

CRM 114

Premium Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
What a way to end the last game of 2019 at Wrigley Field. Let’s go! EverybodyOut.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Pecota called to apologize; they were way off.