IST: Cubs vs Pirates (2nd Half Push for the TITLE)

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Schwarbs was second or third in the league with hardest hit balls in June. I read somewhere and I forgot where. I want to say twitter that the shift affects him more than almost any player in the league. If there wasnt a shift, he would be hitting in the .290's. Problem with that is the shift isnt going away, so it seems to be an approach that he has to change. I do know he has been talked to about being more aggressive in favorable counts.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Do you have think that KC would do a Schwarber and Edwards for Wit deal? Move Garcia to LF after.

I'm pretty sure that KC is looking to sell off Wit and other players. I wouldn't be shocked if they deal Soler also with his good year and Schwarber would back fill as the DH. KC might even let him catch.

Not that this is a real scenerio but it does address needs.
Good lord.
Now we are trading with the idea that Garcia is an outfielder.

You are truly obsessed with acquiring one specific player.

We have a guy who has been out of mlb, has hit well for six games, and he has won a position he hasn’t even played.

What is this obsession?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I was referring to pretty much any time he has a chance to drive in runners. His splits are bad, unless there's a guy on first. This year isn't an anomaly either. He was just as bad in 17 & 18. After a certain point, it's just time to accept facts. He's like a lesser Adam Dunn, as he doesn't get on base quite as much. Look at these splits:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=schwaky01&year=Career&t=b

.186/.325/.372/.697 career with RISP. That's pretty bad. .181/.330/.389/.719 RISP 2 outs. He's a bottom of the order hitter. I don't know why the insistence on him batting leadoff and giving him so many ABs. He's a platoon player at best.
It seems you are determined to criticize him and you’re criticizing his use as a lead off batter by discussing his average with runners in scoring position.

Leadoff minimizes those opportunities and presumably leaves the PA with RISP for those who are performing better in those situations. So why move him to where he would be in that situation more?

It is obvious you are looking for whatever you can to knock him, because during the subject of offense you throw in “his defense is subpar”, which is simply not true.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Good lord.
Now we are trading with the idea that Garcia is an outfielder.

You are truly obsessed with acquiring one specific player.

We have a guy who has been out of mlb, has hit well for six games, and he has won a position he hasn’t even played.

What is this obsession?

We are dealing with a converted C that everyone thought was a DH only become a avg OF. So why not? 2B Garcia has made a few errors already and really was not fluid at Iowa either.

At first I was thinking of a larger scale deal but while looking up contracts this popped up.

• with trade, 2020 option is voided and buyout converted to $4M assignment bonus (Gordon to earn right to block any trade 6/17 as 10-and-5 player)
So Alex Gordon would never wave that and open himself up to a 4 mil buy out. But the thought of a outfield that Almora was the worst defender was amusing.

Regardless was just a idea and Wit is a hot topic right now.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
It seems you are determined to criticize him and you’re criticizing his use as a lead off batter by discussing his average with runners in scoring position.

Leadoff minimizes those opportunities and presumably leaves the PA with RISP for those who are performing better in those situations. So why move him to where he would be in that situation more?

It is obvious you are looking for whatever you can to knock him, because during the subject of offense you throw in “his defense is subpar”, which is simply not true.

Look at his numbers leading off. I gave you the link to his splits. And no, it's not just a discussion of his offense, it's a discussion about Schwarber in general. He's gotten better defensively, but his defense is still below average. He's been better since dropping weight. He's went from terrible to below average, so at least he's improving there. And I do like his arm in left field.

Last edited:

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Whit is going to cost more than people think.... Very favorable team deal.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Whit is going to cost more than people think.... Very favorable team deal.
We arent getting him. I tried to explain this but it falls on deaf ears. He has 4 years of control left. We dont want to give up any of our top 3 prospects. He is 30 years old and the Cubs arent going to be able to justify his cost with the lack of minor league depth we have currently. It would be different if we had an abundance, but we dont. Teams are going to offer a way better package than us. I would set my expectations on a Melky Cabrera type hitter and Zobrist coming back. A LOOGY will also probably happen, but probably not a Will Smith type.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
We arent getting him. I tried to explain this but it falls on deaf ears. He has 4 years of control left. We dont want to give up any of our top 3 prospects. He is 30 years old and the Cubs arent going to be able to justify his cost with the lack of minor league depth we have currently. It would be different if we had an abundance, but we dont. Teams are going to offer a way better package than us. I would set my expectations on a Melky Cabrera type hitter and Zobrist coming back. A LOOGY will also probably happen, but probably not a Will Smith type.

Bingo. it isn't a situation where you just offer Schwarber. Going to cost a lot.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
@choyne35 HEY hope u had a good weekend. Looks like the Cubs are doing just fine as I said they would... can u plz take ur negativity, turn it sideways and stick it str8 up ur candy ass?