IST: Cubs vs. Rockies

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Chicago 32-26(2nd in NL Central) vs Colorado 31-27 (2nd in NL West)

chc.png

vs

col.png

Pitching Matchups

Game 1 — Tuesday, June 4. 7:05 p.m. CDT

Kyle Hendricks vs. Jeff Hoffman

Game 2 — Wednesday, June 5. 7:05 p.m. CDT

Yu Darvish vs. German Marquez

Game 3 — Thursday, June 6. 1:20 p.m. CDT

Jose Quintana vs. Jon Gray

o.jpg

TL1961

Liked Posts:
What is the weather like?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Gross run. Solid single. Hendricks wiffed on a come backer and Murphy hits one off the the end to center.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Cargo looking genious

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Man, I hope CarGo has a 2008 Edmonds run in him.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Cubs need a get right series

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Javy!!

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Alright Strop...

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Javy hustle but scaring me with that head first slide...

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
There is an insurance run!

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Cubs win! Tied for first place!

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I thought this was great. Baez is just so effing valuable to this team.

Input in a key moment

Hendricks was nearing the end of the road in the seventh inning, when Colorado had already scored one run to cut the Cubs' lead to 5-3.

With two outs and Wolters on first base, Hendricks worked to an 0-2 count in three pitches against leadoff man Raimel Tapia. The Rockies outfielder whiffed on a pair of changeups and then fouled off a four-seam fastball. At that juncture, Baez jogged to the mound for a brief conference with Hendricks, and they were soon joined by catcher Victor Caratini.

"Once the AB starts, you see when guys hit foul balls or swing and miss, what they're looking for," Baez said. "At that moment, we were up by two and man on first. I was making sure he didn't throw anything over the plate."

After their discussion, Hendricks went back to the changeup, firing one far outside for a ball. The right-hander stuck with the pitch, putting it closer to the low-and-away corner and enticing another swing from Tapia. The Wrigley Field crowd erupted with the strikeout, which marked the 21st swing-and-miss generated by Hendricks, whose career best was 22 in an outing against St. Louis in 2016.

Hendricks credited Baez for lending his voice to that crucial situation.

"He knows the game so well," Hendricks said. "That happens a lot. I'll look back to short and he'll kind of give me signals, even when he's not coming up for the visit. In that situation, I know what he's seeing. He sees the game just as well as anyone. Kind of, if they're late, early, what guys are sitting on. I definitely take into consideration what he tells us."

And through his play, Baez told everyone that he is feeling just fine.

"He can go bad for a couple days. You don't worry about that," Maddon said. "He knows it's coming back to him. He knows he's good. I love that. That's why he can be as good as he is and better for so many years to come. It's really awesome to watch him play. Everything that he did tonight was spectacular."

Jordan Bastian covers the Cubs for MLB.com. He previously covered the Indians from 2011-18 and the Blue Jays from 2006-10. Read his blog, Major League Bastian and follow him on Twitter @MLBastian.

https://www.mlb.com/cubs/news/kyle-schwarber-s-homer-lifts-cubs-over-rockies

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Did anyone hear the show on the score right before pregame? There was a report from somewhere from Cargo, saying, when they came in last year for game 163, he could tell the cubs players were not right, they were "down". Did not see any more written stuff, but the score guys were basically saying, if Cargo saw it, how could Maddon and Theo have not seen it.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Did anyone hear the show on the score right before pregame? There was a report from somewhere from Cargo, saying, when they came in last year for game 163, he could tell the cubs players were not right, they were "down". Did not see any more written stuff, but the score guys were basically saying, if Cargo saw it, how could Maddon and Theo have not seen it.

This is the quote,
“We knew they were struggling,” González admitted Monday. “We knew they were limping. It just seems like they were down. You never want to show that to the opponent.”

To your question, they knew. What can you do at that point? The offense was broke. KB was not fully healed. It was basically Rizzo and Baez pulling the team.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The team is in far better shape right now than a week ago. Adding Cargo allows Joe to keep Russell as the starting 2B. Which makes up the middle one of the best D tandems in baseball.

Almora is utilized as D replacement and starting vs his strong side. He is not a starting quality hitter.

Descanasio and Bote right now are more situational players. Bote still can provide a switch up but if Cargo keeps it up I really don't see Joe making a change. As it is he can utilize Almora to provide days off in the OF. I really don't see the need to move Bryant off position any more.

So at this point it is more about looking at a improvement to Ryan as the main pen Lefty.
With Strop and Cishek sorting the 8-9 and Morrow pending the need for a closer has lessened.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
This is the quote,
“We knew they were struggling,” González admitted Monday. “We knew they were limping. It just seems like they were down. You never want to show that to the opponent.”

To your question, they knew. What can you do at that point? The offense was broke. KB was not fully healed. It was basically Rizzo and Baez pulling the team.
not my question sir, that was what the goofs on the score were asking.

Thanks for finding it.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
The team is in far better shape right now than a week ago. Adding Cargo allows Joe to keep Russell as the starting 2B. Which makes up the middle one of the best D tandems in baseball.

Almora is utilized as D replacement and starting vs his strong side. He is not a starting quality hitter.

Descanasio and Bote right now are more situational players. Bote still can provide a switch up but if Cargo keeps it up I really don't see Joe making a change. As it is he can utilize Almora to provide days off in the OF. I really don't see the need to move Bryant off position any more.

So at this point it is more about looking at a improvement to Ryan as the main pen Lefty.
With Strop and Cishek sorting the 8-9 and Morrow pending the need for a closer has lessened.

I just hope its Heyward getting platooned with Almora and not technically Cargo.

This mornings drive in, Mulligan says, "How can you sit Cargo after the two games he just played". Well, Almora hits well and gets benched, Bote walks off and gets benched, but get the veteran 33 year old who everyone seems to be treating like he is 38 thru free agency and he cannot sit?

It is just sickening watching these guys bat, big shifts, pitch away and they all want to pull that ball away. Cargo will show them how a professional hitter handles pitches.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I just hope its Heyward getting platooned with Almora and not technically Cargo.

This mornings drive in, Mulligan says, "How can you sit Cargo after the two games he just played". Well, Almora hits well and gets benched, Bote walks off and gets benched, but get the veteran 33 year old who everyone seems to be treating like he is 38 thru free agency and he cannot sit?

It is just sickening watching these guys bat, big shifts, pitch away and they all want to pull that ball away. Cargo will show them how a professional hitter handles pitches.

I would believe it would be more of rotating days off in general with Cargo sitting vs LHP. Maybe Bryant in LF also to get AB for Bote also.

But it really depends on production. If all 3 are raking you really can't take them out of the line up outside of regular rest. They can line that day off on a lefty day. But I wouldn't expect off days just because a lefty is on the mound. If that hitter has struggled vs that pitcher then yes you play the odds.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah, he's so professional that he signed a minor league contract with Cubs after no one else wanted him. Nice addition....not a world beater.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Yeah, he's so professional that he signed a minor league contract with Cubs after no one else wanted him. Nice addition....not a world beater.

Time will tell but he is running with the opertunity
I honestly see this akin to Hamels. The Cubs have a good vibe that resonates with vets.