Jahns notebook: Bears can’t wait to see Montgomery in camp, Trubisky ‘more than fine’ against Pagano’s defense

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:

Basically, Reid's offense rank on the lower end of personnel grouping and Payton and Nagy are on the high end.

For Payton, switching personnel groupings is part of how he tries to break tendencies, and the Saintstook time to analyze theirs during their first-round bye. The Saints have scored touchdowns out of 13 unique personnel packages this season, the most in the NFL. No surprise, the Rams have scored TDs out of just three, tied with the Miami Dolphins for the fewest.

Asked Thursday about those numbers, Payton told reporters: "Well, it's not who's on the field, it's what you're doing with them on the field. And I think Sean (McVay), they do a great job of, 'Man, here comes the weak zone, the wide zone. Here comes the weak zone fallback. Here comes the play-action off of it. Here comes a screen off of it.' And there are so many of these concepts that start off looking the same that are different. They're in tighter splits. They spray the releases. They have speed. So when you combine a great scheme with extremely talented players, it doesn't matter if there's 14 different personnel groupings or two, there's no prerequisite there."

At one point this season, then-Buccaneers coach Dirk Koetter said the Saints had shown 28 different personnel groupings.

"It's a lot for everybody to figure stuff out," Saints veteran tight end Benjamin Watson told me this season. "Guys have to memorize when they're in, when they're out. When you look at our personnel group list, it's very extensive. And it can be quite challenging at times, especially during the game when they're yelling out personnel groups and some of them may sound the same, but everybody stays in tune. ... You want to make [the defense] sub, and then if they don't, you want to get a mismatch on the field."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...vays-sean-paytons-differing-offensive-methods

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What's really interesting is that Nagy isn't like Reid at all really, he's like Sean Payton in terms of what he wants to do on offense.

Nagy lives his mantra of Be Yourself. You gotta remember that he was molded as a coach by a lot of offensive minds in all of the years he spent coaching before the Bears. Guys like Doug Pederson and Brad Childress come to mind aside from Andy. He was influenced by their chalkboard approach of anything can potentially be added to the offense. Draw it up and lets see if it can work. So I think it was only natural for him to do things his own way instead of trying to copy.

In fact I would say its one of the things I like the most about Matt and its likely one of the reasons he was able to turn this ship around in the right direction. I feel like too many head coaches try to be their mentors instead of doing them.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
You are kidding me right? TRUBISKY HAD A HIGHER QBR? Is that better than passer rating. I honestly don’t know the difference.

I was responding to the original post on the topic, not endorsing QBR as a great measuring stick.

“CRM...care to make a wager that Mitch ends 2019 with better stats than Watson?

Can go "per game" average if either gets injured & misses time. Yards, # of TDs, # INTs, TD/INT ratio, offensive scoring, and QBR. Pick any or all of these measures.

Name your terms.”

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If the first number is running backs, then you need to take out the last three. 40, 41, and 50 would all be illegal formations.

Yeah some of them are illegal or just plane impractical like 5 TEs in 05.

I still have no clue how they defining personnel groupings as 32 is impossible unless they really are acting like a DE on offense is somehow a different personnel grouping when in fact that DE is playing RB, TE or WR.

Last edited:

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Yeah it is. Yeah some of them or just plane impractical like 5 TEs in 05.

I still have no clue how they defining personnel groupings as 32 is impossible unless they really are acting like a DE on offense is someone a different personnel grouping. Just seems odd.
It just kind of seems like a stupid thing to measure.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Considering Trubisky last year beat Watson *handily* in QBR (#3 to #13), I'd think that'd be the preferred method. It's worth noting Truisky also beat Watson in TDs per game, 1.7 to 1.6.

Anything could happen, but as a betting man, I wouldn't be surprised to see Watson's schtick hit a roadblock this year and for Trubisky to improve, causing Trubisky to pass Watson in YPG (last year, they were 260 vs. 230) and total TDs (last year, they were 26 vs. 24). And that was with Watson playing 16 games.
Trubisky's D will allow fewer points, meaning Watson will need to score more, and will be less co
That's right. I recall the premise of the Rams offense is to have every play look exactly the same, so the defense doesn't know if it's a run, pass, or what kind of each.
I watched the Rams play the Bears and again in the Super Bowl.
Seems the defense knew what was coming, because the Rams offense was terrible in those games.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Pretty concerning that the best someone can say about Trubisky is “more than fine”. Meanwhile Watson and Mahomes are classified as elite and rightfully so.

I hope Mahomes looks good against that ass defense they run out in KC.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
You know what pisses me off? Banks in other countries offer badass services like virtual credit cards. Basically the way it works is that you have an account with that bank. They generate a one time use virtual credit card for the purchase you're making. After its used that number is no longer valid and your actual account is secured from fraud because of it. Name me one bank in the US that is offering that.

Capital One does that with its credit cards.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What's really interesting is that Nagy isn't like Reid at all really, he's like Sean Payton in terms of what he wants to do on offense.
More his own man but I like where you're going. That said, There's a missing component in the groupings evaluation. Injuries and Fox had plenty. We all saw that Nagy had a lot of looks and personnel changes during his 1st year here but the 2 year stat isn't quite as revealing a it may appear.

Last edited: