Jake Fromm just balled out there

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
UGA is 30-6 with Fromm as a starter. Going into today’s game, over 6700 yards passing, 63 Tds, 16 INTs. He’s putting up these numbers mostly from the pocket (unlike a Tim Tebow). Against SEC competition. Those aren’t game manager stats IMO.
He has been a starter for 3 years and has never thrown for 3000 yards in a single season. You seriously want the bears to hitch their future to a guy who hasn’t thrown for 3000 yards in COLLEGE? I get he’s got the wins but he doesn’t do much. He’s a game manager.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
He is the anti Mitch.

Smart, confident, accurate, but limited physically

I am not 100% sure his arm cannot be good at the NFL level, but he needs the right system.

Being a UGA fan, I’ve watched every game he’s played. He doesn’t have a canon for an arm, but he can make almost any throw-the ones that are needed most frequently, anyway. Unlike Cutler who did have a canon, Fromm has every other attribute you are looking for. Runs a pro-style offense, processes reads and defensive schemes insanely fast, is accurate, and a proven leader who has been in the big games.

I’m not saying he will be elite (no one can say that about almost any QB), but if he is there in the 2nd, I think you take him. What I wouldn’t give to have a QB with his traits this season.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
He has been a starter for 3 years and has never thrown for 3000 yards in a single season. You seriously want the bears to hitch their future to a guy who hasn’t thrown for 3000 yards in COLLEGE? I get he’s got the wins but he doesn’t do much. He’s a game manager.

As you said, he runs a pro-style offense with a run first approach (Gurley, Chubb, Sony Michel, Deandre Swift). He hasn’t put up Big-12 passing numbers because he hasn’t had to. Doesn’t mean he can’t-he has taken those opportunities every time they’ve presented themselves.

You make a valid point, all I’m saying is if he’s there in the 2nd you take him. Then take another in the later rounds if one falls they like. Got to do everything we can to finally fix this damn QB position.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
As you said, he runs a pro-style offense with a run first approach (Gurley, Chubb, Sony Michel, Deandre Swift). He hasn’t put up Big-12 passing numbers because he hasn’t had to. Doesn’t mean he can’t-he has taken those opportunities every time they’ve presented themselves.

You make a valid point, all I’m saying is if he’s there in the 2nd you take him. Then take another in the later rounds if one falls they like. Got to do everything we can to finally fix this damn QB position.
I assume you probably view him as a safe selection with a decent chance of turning into a solid nfl QB but I see him as more of a gamble because he, as an individual, hasn’t actually done much. I don’t think it’s impossible for him to put up the numbers in the stats department but we haven’t seen it yet. Much like you I think the bears need to make a safe selection at QB this offseason, and nothing close to the gamble we took with Mitch. I think we just have different ideas of what a safe selection at QB looks like.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
So you think Fromm is on the same level as Deshaun?? Give me a break. Not every noodled arm QB is Deshaun.

No but saying he won't make it in the NFL with an average arm is stupid.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Depends where he's taken and the overall team record. GMs don't get booted over picks if the rest is working.

What is working other than the defense? Bad coaching and bringing in one of the worst offenses in the NFL. He skipped on a HOF QB in Mahomes.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
I assume you probably view him as a safe selection with a decent chance of turning into a solid nfl QB but I see him as more of a gamble because he, as an individual, hasn’t actually done much. I don’t think it’s impossible for him to put up the numbers in the stats department but we haven’t seen it yet. Much like you I think the bears need to make a safe selection at QB this offseason, and nothing close to the gamble we took with Mitch. I think we just have different ideas of what a safe selection at QB looks like.

Again, fair point. I just think he is safer than Hurts or Eason. Eason has the big arm, but he reminds me a lot of Cutty. Mistakes, dumb throws, etc. Of the QBs who MAY be there in the 2nd, Fromm is the safest bet IMO, least likely to bust. But what do I know, I’m just a fan. Hell, Pace May bring in a vet and attack QB in the 2021 draft. Justin Fields has been tearing it up.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

Who else didn't throw for 3000 yards in college....

Aaron Rodgers
Tom Brady

but who did...

Matt Barkley
Jimmy Clausen

the NFL is a team sports and different systems will put up different numbers if he's a smart kid and has the talent draft him.

doctorbear

Liked Posts:
Fuck arm strength. Make the reads and hit the throws and occasional deep routes and I’m good man. It’s more anticipation and accuracy than strength

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
What stats are you basing his arm talent off?
He hasn’t thrown for more than 3000 yards and 30 TDs in college. He also makes his money with under neath throws. We need a QB who can win with our current offensive deficiencies. Georgia doesn’t have any offensive deficiencies. Do we really want to try and win a SB with a guy who’s never had to carry the load in college before?

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Who else didn't throw for 3000 yards in college....

Aaron Rodgers
Tom Brady

but who did...

Matt Barkley
Jimmy Clausen

the NFL is a team sports and different systems will put up different numbers if he's a smart kid and has the talent draft him.
Cool. Let’s compare the amount of QBs who didn’t throw for 3000 yards and turned into a great QB to the amount who did throw for 3000 yards and did become a great QB.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don’t think Fromm hasn’t tremendous upside. But he is safe and at this point that is a good place to start.

This system worked well enough with a smart QB with an average arm in Alex Smith. It is obviously better with Mahomes but we don’t have a 1st.

I am a Hurts guy, but I get the appeal of Fromm and the value in the 2nd round.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Minshew
Alex Smith
Drew Brees
Matt Ryan
JImmy G
Goff
Dalton
Cousins
The last 4 years of Brady

There are a decent number of guys who do well with average arm talent.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Tua
Burrow
Fromm
Herbert
Eason
Hurts

And there are a large group of mid rounders who have shown promise.
I watched Eason today and I have to say, I was less than impressed. He was good with a clean pocket, bad with pressure and threw into plenty of double coverage's as it was his first read. It honestly reminded me of watching Trubisky.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
He hasn’t thrown for more than 3000 yards and 30 TDs in college. He also makes his money with under neath throws. We need a QB who can win with our current offensive deficiencies. Georgia doesn’t have any offensive deficiencies. Do we really want to try and win a SB with a guy who’s never had to carry the load in college before?

He cant control the system he's in it you never know what someone is capable of.

QB's are always carrying a load just because he runs a system doesn't mean he cant branch out and improve.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I watched Eason today and I have to say, I was less than impressed. He was good with a clean pocket, bad with pressure and threw into plenty of double coverage's as it was his first read. It honestly reminded me of watching Trubisky.

The only reason he's getting attention is because his arm strength. If he has the IQ I'd love the Bears to bench him for a year or two while he learns.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
He cant control the system he's in it you never know what someone is capable of.

QB's are always carrying a load just because he runs a system doesn't mean he cant branch out and improve.
Just because he can doesn’t mean he will. We need more of a sure thing. This is the line of thinking that landed us Mitch. We need somebody with a history of winning AND production.

bearsforever

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Then he's at the top of Pace's to draft list.