Jared Allen is having a 'blast' at OLB in Bears' 3-4 defense

vincentvega

Liked Posts:
Thought you guys might find this interesting

http://chicago.suntimes.com/bears-football/7/71/660583/jared-allen-blast-olb-bears-3-4-defense

For so long, the pursuit was everything for Jared Allen. Fighting through left tackles, targeting quarterbacks and then knocking the snot out of them was his beloved way of life.

But at 33 years old and in his 12th NFL season, Allen is experiencing new feelings of satisfaction on the field — albeit at practice for the time being. In his switch to outside linebacker, he’s eying quarterbacks in new ways and liking it.

“To see the quarterback looking your way and have to go there [with a pass], can you do it?,” Allen asked Wednesday during the Bears’ organized team activities. “[When] you’ve got your guy covered and did the right thing, you become a factor in the entire defense instead of just what I got to worry about in my four-foot box going forward, my gap, my responsibility.”

Dropping into coverage more often is just one of many changes Allen is experiencing in his role in the Bears’ new 3-4 defense after a long, Hall-of-Fame-worthy career at right defensive end.

And as new defensive coordinator Vic Fangio said he could, Allen is feeling rejuvenated — physically and mentally — by the whole process of the position switch. He’s embraced every challenge and taken advantage of the Bears’ voluntary offseason work under Fangio and position coach Clint Hurtt.

“My body feels fresher because I’m not banging every single day and putting my hands on a 300-plus pounder and banging heads,” Allen said. “I like it because it is testing my football IQ. … This is a totally different thought process for me, and it’s really forcing me to study. I’m having fun with it.”

Allen has eaten his own words because of all that fun. In 2011 when the Minnesota Vikings were contemplating a scheme change, Allen said that he wanted to end his career at end and that he essentially didn’t want to play in a 3-4 defense.

“You know what? That was a little ignorance talking, I have to be honest,” Allen said. “I didn’t know anything about [outside linebacker].”

And Allen likes what he’s learned so far. He’s learning to play on his feet more and his responsibilities in pass coverage are different than any zone blitz he’s been part of at end.

“I’m just not position dropping now,” Allen said. “I’m actually part of the drop. … You’ve got to work on drops and breaks. You’ve got wide receivers doing all these little surprise stunts and [you’re] passing coverages.”

But Allen still will do what he was signed for last season, and that’s rush the passer. Allen is eager to make up for his career-worst 5.5 sacks from 2014. The different pass-rush angles and one-on-one matchups that outside linebackers can have could help him at this point in his career.

Allen’s iPad is full of tapes featuring some of the game’s best 3-4 outside linebackers: Aldon Smith, DeMarcus Ware, Tamba Hali and Justin Houston.

“It is slightly different when you’ve got your hand in the ground on what you can do,” Allen said. “[It’s] watching them and understanding foot concepts, getting your feeling on what can be able to work and [taking] what I do and [seeing] if it’s still effective, even though I’m standing up.

“I’m always studying. It’s actually cool watching different players that I might not watch during the season because of different styles. And I’ll try to mash those up.”

Again, it’s all part of the fun for Allen.

“I know it’s just OTAs, but being out there and seeing the one-on-one matchups that I’ve been able to create and the rush angles I’ve been able to create … it’s kind of broadening my perspective on football,” Allen said. “For me, it’s been a blast.”

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I am really glad that he is having a good time with the position change. That kind of positive outlook lends itself to his other teammates who are going through a change of position, and keeps his mind on competing instead of how little fun he is having.

He probably wont break any records at this point in his career, but if he can be a threat for 10 sacks as an OLB/DE then he might get a chance to actually play through his entire contract instead of getting cut at the end of the year.

PickSix

Liked Posts:
I'd spew bs all day long to the media as well if I knew that is what they wanted to hear to keep my name in a positive light in print media.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I bet he and she are making the offense squeal like pigs in no contact drills

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Feels like his last year. I hope he has a great time in 14 games this season

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know Allen was a disappointment last year, but I absolutely appreciate his character. He comes off as intelligent, articulate, and selfless on the field. And dude is always positive, at least when addressing the press and always seems genuinely excited about football. Never hear the "football is a business" bullshit from him.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I know Allen was a disappointment last year, but I absolutely appreciate his character. He comes off as intelligent, articulate, and selfless on the field. And dude is always positive, at least when addressing the press and always seems genuinely excited about football. Never hear the "football is a business" bullshit from him.

That's why I don't think this is just fluff from the Jared Allen PR department. Maybe from the Bears PR department, but not JA. He's always been one of my favorite players until he sucked last year, but if he comes out on top of this change and produces, he's back on my Lunchpail List.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
That's why I don't think this is just fluff from the Jared Allen PR department. Maybe from the Bears PR department, but not JA. He's always been one of my favorite players until he sucked last year, but if he comes out on top of this change and produces, he's back on my Lunchpail List.

Lol at white knight riding for jared

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Bet you're an enormous sam acho fan too

What if I am?

So first the mods start trolling me and now my bestie is getting into it? Maybe it is time for me to find a new forum.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
What if I am?

So first the mods start trolling me and now my bestie is getting into it? Maybe it is time for me to find a new forum.

How about emos4eva.com

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Would it be a good sign or a bad sign if Allen had more sacks this year than McPhee?