Jay Cutler is not a monster

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Not all NFL evaluators have given up on Jay Cutler.

Though a recent poll ranking the 32 starting NFL quarterbacks slotted him in the third tier of signal callers, tied for 20th overall with Oakland's Derek Carr, one scout believes Cutler takes too much criticism and can thrive in the right system.

Front office members and coaches listed each projected starting quarterback in tiers from 1 to 5, with one being a championship-caliber quarterback and four being an unproven starter who may not remain a starter. Thirty-five league insiders were polled, with 27 voters placing him in the third tier, reserved for "quarterbacks who are good enough to start but need lots of support, making it tougher to contend at the highest level."

One anonymous evaluator who ranked Cutler in the third tier had this to say about the nine-year veteran:

"I do not think he is the monster everyone has made him out to be," the evaluator said. "He does have issues, but can you win with him? Yes. That is why he is a 3, not a 4. If you protect him and get him to get the ball out and have a really good run game, he can be [good enough]. But he will turn it over, and you have to overcome that."

Cutler may not have the best press clippings from time to time following games, but he's not the monster he's at times made out to be off the field, either. Last weekend Cutler hosted a four-hour youth football camp in Tennessee to support the Jay Cutler Foundation.

Eight voters placed Cutler in Tier 4, while one placed him in the rarely used Tier 5 because of his "damaging" presence to a team.

Last year Cutler had one of his best statistical seasons as a pro, throwing for a career-high 28 touchdowns and throwing for more than 3,800 yards. The Bears, however, struggled to a 5-11 record and missed the playoffs for the fourth straight year. Last year Cutler was ranked 17th in the same poll.

Unsurprisingly, Green Bay's Aaron Rodgers was ranked first overall in the poll, tied with Tom Brady as a unanimous Tier 1 quarterback. Detroit's Matthew Stafford tied for 12th overall and in Tier 2, while Vikings sophomore quarterback Teddy Bridgewater rounded out Tier 3 tied for 23rd overall.

https://www.csnchicago.com/bears/nfl-scout-bears-cutler-not-monster-hes-been-made-out-be

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The most shocking part of this was stafford at 12.
3 years ago I would be on board with that... but 3 seasons later of mediocrity has me thinking he played way above his head and would be nothing more than "meh" without Johnson.

I would put stafford minimally above Cutler, slotting Stafford back where Cutler is rather than bringing cutler up.

I would take Bridgewater over both as it stands.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
3 years ago I would be on board with that... but 3 seasons later of mediocrity has me thinking he played way above his head and would be nothing more than "meh" without Johnson.

I would put stafford minimally above Cutler, slotting Stafford back where Cutler is rather than bringing cutler up.

Yeah, I agree.

Jester

White Guy
Liked Posts:

This is how I feel about Stafford as well. Not sure I would take Bridgewater though.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Anyone have the complete list? No longer subscribe to insider

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I don't get all the Cutler hate. He hasn't lived up to expectations but how can you hate a player that gives it his all. Brutalized with sacks over the Lovie years and a bad coach with Trestman, and you don't hear him complain to the media, even after being called out by Kromer. He may have bad body language, but he doesn't take cheap shots at the team or other players.

If you want to blame somebody, blame Angelo for trading for him and Emery for giving him a huge contract.

Funny thing.. if we would have drafted Cutler in the 3rd round, his story may have been written very differently. Nobody here hates Kyle Orton, we appreciate what he did but he wasn't the guy. It is kind of similar with Grossman. But with Cutler, we traded for what we thought was a pro bowl quarterback and it didn't work out for us. Denver knew he played above his head and got a great deal him. But we should hate the geniuses who traded for him and re-signed him, and the coaches that supported that.. not the player himself.

The franchise put huge expectations on him and they are the ones to blame for him not living up to those expectations.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't get all the Cutler hate. He hasn't lived up to expectations but how can you hate a player that gives it his all. Brutalized with sacks over the Lovie years and a bad coach with Trestman, and you don't hear him complain to the media, even after being called out by Kromer. He may have bad body language, but he doesn't take cheap shots at the team or other players.

If you want to blame somebody, blame Angelo for trading for him and Emery for giving him a huge contract.

Funny thing.. if we would have drafted Cutler in the 3rd round, his story may have been written very differently. Nobody here hates Kyle Orton, we appreciate what he did but he wasn't the guy. It is kind of similar with Grossman. But with Cutler, we traded for what we thought was a pro bowl quarterback and it didn't work out for us. Denver knew he played above his head and got a great deal him. But we should hate the geniuses who traded for him and re-signed him, and the coaches that supported that.. not the player himself.

The franchise put huge expectations on him and they are the ones to blame for him not living up to those expectations.

He is a convenient scapegoat for all of the Bear's shittfuckery.... make sense?

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Re: Cutler "giving it his all"
I don't think he does.

7957744.jpg

Seriously? WTF is this shit in the picture?

Not correcting BASIC stuff like the above is why people can say how much work Cutler puts in or whatever but I don't buy it. These are fundamental things that are simply a question of working to fix them.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Cutler truly gave it his all, he wouldn't constantly make shitty reads and throw off his back foot WHEN HE DOESN'T HAVE TO.

He makes rookie mistakes and he's going on 10 years.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

I agree. But what can you do? You can't fire them twice.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
I don't get all the Cutler hate. He hasn't lived up to expectations but how can you hate a player that gives it his all.

LOL.

Needed that laugh. Was well worth the burn from the Mountain Dew that shot out my nose when I read it.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Jay is who he is. There's no changing it.

I will say that Fox going to the run game more should help him this season. Trestman just said fuck it about 8 games in and bailed.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
I will say that Fox going to the run game more should help him this season.

Can someone PLEASE explain to me how running the ball more makes him a better QB?

Makes the offense more balanced? Sure. But that's an "offense" improvement concept. Not a Jay improvement concept.

But didn't Lovie "get off the bus running"? How'd that help Jay to be a better QB?

He still turned the ball over at an alarming rate. Had poor mechanics. Lacked accuracy. Forced throws where he shouldn't. Made bad decisions. held the ball too long. Couldn't hit receivers in stride with consistency...

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

7957744.jpg

Not correcting BASIC stuff like the above is why people can say how much work Cutler puts in or whatever but I don't buy it. These are fundamental things that are simply a question of working to fix them.

He is practicing stiff arming a blitzer while throwing an interception.... idk wut ur so mad about

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
If Cutler truly gave it his all, he wouldn't constantly make shitty reads and throw off his back foot WHEN HE DOESN'T HAVE TO.

He makes rookie mistakes and he's going on 10 years.

That has nothing to do with TRYING. Actually, if anything, you could argue he is trying too hard by forcing balls. Being able to read defenses at an elite level has absolutely nothing to do with how hard a player physically tries.

I could write paragraphs on the logic behind this but if you do not grasp what I am saying in the first sentence, I really don't think you will grasp it at all.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
That has nothing to do with TRYING. Actually, if anything, you could argue he is trying too hard by forcing balls. Being able to read defenses at an elite level has absolutely nothing to do with how hard a player physically tries.

I could write paragraphs on the logic behind this but if you do not grasp what I am saying in the first sentence, I really don't think you will grasp it at all.

Do you not "try" when you are practicing? Do you not try when you are trying to improve? Reading defenses at an elite level has EVERYTHING to do with trying because in order to be good you have to STUDY YOUR FUCKING ASS OFF. Ever heard of Peyton Manning? All the great QBs are gym and classroom rats.

:gtfo:

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

7957744.jpg

How much of a quarterbacks throwing motion is ingrained in him? I look at it like a baseball swing. Maybe for some an unorthodox throwing motion is better?