Joe Maddon on Addison Russell

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Kinda seems like the writing is on the wall. He's gotta be worth a ham sandwich at least.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
The worst part of listening to Russells side to it is he clearly thinks he is that good and has yet to back up any of his cockiness. Did they even mention his throwing the bat into the dugout. With the new locations, that is a feat, makes you question if that hand injury is back or if he just hurt it on someones skull.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The worst part of listening to Russells side to it is he clearly thinks he is that good and has yet to back up any of his cockiness. Did they even mention his throwing the bat into the dugout. With the new locations, that is a feat, makes you question if that hand injury is back or if he just hurt it on someones skull.

Ok it was hot and everyone was sweating into towels. A bat slipping out of his hands is not a big deal.

Most of the mistakes were weather related. Joe took exception to the out at home where he went on contact. That was on him. And how he got off base at 2B and got picked off. Those 2 outs were 100% on him being a bonehead.

Teams will still trade for him. Talent is still talent and another approach to get it out of him maybe called for. Joe tends to be laid-back and Addi may need a knuckle buster approach.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Of course teams would still trade for him, the Cubs just wouldn't get much.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Ok it was hot and everyone was sweating into towels. A bat slipping out of his hands is not a big deal.

Most of the mistakes were weather related. Joe took exception to the out at home where he went on contact. That was on him. And how he got off base at 2B and got picked off. Those 2 outs were 100% on him being a bonehead.

Teams will still trade for him. Talent is still talent and another approach to get it out of him maybe called for. Joe tends to be laid-back and Addi may need a knuckle buster approach.

Not the first time he's lost his bat into the dugout or stands. Not the second time... Not the fifth time.... Not the tenth time.. Okay, you get the point. I agree it's not a huge deal but that's not all the weather lol.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Not the first time he's lost his bat into the dugout or stands. Not the second time... Not the fifth time.... Not the tenth time.. Okay, you get the point. I agree it's not a huge deal but that's not all the weather lol.

I'm more so looking at Joe's reaction. I think we all can impose our own belief systems into this topic and that is fine. But I'm looking at it from what Joe's opinion is and that is what really matters. And he was on the baserunning fuck ups.

You notice both Russell and Bote are out vs the lefty.

Sun pop outs and miscommunication issues are one thing. That was happening on both teams. But fundamentals is something the players can control.

Bote just threw the ball away and he had plenty of time on his throw. But then he makes a amazing catch in the 9th.

DB012031

Liked Posts:
I am actually surprised Theo hasn't walked into Joe's office and tell him you play Russell again, pack your bags (ok, that's extreme, but still makes the same point). Russell is garbage, both as a player and frankly as a person. I don't give a crap about paying your dues, the man has basically shown no remorse for his actions and you don't ever put your hands on your wife/mother of your children, PERIOD.

They guy has a career line of .242/.314/.392, that's pathetic for a guy that was supposed to be a can't miss prospect. Actually, that's not pathetic, its down right awful. Everyone brings up his defense but seriously, the guy is barely average. He has a career fielding % of .974. That's not great for a guy that is supposed to be an elite defensive player. You know who has better a better fielding %: Dj Le Mahieu, Jason freaking Kipnis, Scooter Gennett, Jonathan Schoop, Dee Gordon for pete's sake. Russell doesn't pass the eye test, the stat test or the human being test. He should be planted on the bench for the remainder of the year and then cut when the season is over.

DB012031

Liked Posts:
I am actually surprised Theo hasn't walked into Joe's office and tell him you play Russell again, pack your bags (ok, that's extreme, but still makes the same point). Russell is garbage, both as a player and frankly as a person. I don't give a crap about paying your dues, the man has basically shown no remorse for his actions and you don't ever put your hands on your wife/mother of your children, PERIOD.

They guy has a career line of .242/.314/.392, that's pathetic for a guy that was supposed to be a can't miss prospect. Actually, that's not pathetic, its down right awful. Everyone brings up his defense but seriously, the guy is barely average. He has a career fielding % of .974. That's not great for a guy that is supposed to be an elite defensive player. You know who has better a better fielding %: Dj Le Mahieu, Jason freaking Kipnis, Scooter Gennett, Jonathan Schoop, Dee Gordon for pete's sake. Russell doesn't pass the eye test, the stat test or the human being test. He should be planted on the bench for the remainder of the year and then cut when the season is over.

Whole crap, Daniel Murphy has a better career fielding % than Addy. That should tell you his defense is no where near what many on this board think it is.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm more so looking at Joe's reaction. I think we all can impose our own belief systems into this topic and that is fine. But I'm looking at it from what Joe's opinion is and that is what really matters. And he was on the baserunning fuck ups.

You notice both Russell and Bote are out vs the lefty.

Sun pop outs and miscommunication issues are one thing. That was happening on both teams. But fundamentals is something the players can control.

Bote just threw the ball away and he had plenty of time on his throw. But then he makes a amazing catch in the 9th.

I'm not disagreeing with you at all. Just pointing out that the weather isn't excuse for his bat tossing lol. It's happened numerous times over the years.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'm not disagreeing with you at all. Just pointing out that the weather isn't excuse for his bat tossing lol. It's happened numerous times over the years.

Fair enough. Maybe he needs to do grip training.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Fair enough. Maybe he needs to do grip training.

It's actually pretty interesting to think about. Does he naturally leave a finger or two off? Is his grip just soft? I honestly wonder what it is.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I wonder if he should have had surgery?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have never and I repeat ever seen someone lose a bat as often as he does. He has done it since he came in the league and I would assume the same in the minors. Its not even like he has a violent swing.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I have never and I repeat ever seen someone lose a bat as often as he does. He has done it since he came in the league and I would assume the same in the minors. Its not even like he has a violent swing.

Ricky Gutierrez

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Russell is still very young. I wouldn't be so quick to scrap him. Let him get a full season again instead of injuries, suspensions, and wife beating.
I don't think the player he was in 2016 was a fluke. I think he needs solid reps with no breaks. Maddons style of benching him all the time might not be beneficial to him.
I'd only consider him gone after a full season next year. Let the young man play...continuously.
Christ, in 2016 I think he even had league MVP voter points?

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

The last time it eventually came out that he had the finger injury being the reason, not hot, cold, indifferent, dontgiveafuckedness.

Still young, sure, but eventually one needs to find a mirror.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Russell is still very young. I wouldn't be so quick to scrap him. Let him get a full season again instead of injuries, suspensions, and wife beating.
I don't think the player he was in 2016 was a fluke. I think he needs solid reps with no breaks. Maddons style of benching him all the time might not be beneficial to him.
I'd only consider him gone after a full season next year. Let the young man play...continuously.
Christ, in 2016 I think he even had league MVP voter points?

His best season was 2016 and he had a 95 wRC+. His RBI total was bloated by hitting #5 behind 4 players with OBA's sitting near .400.

He has always been a D first player. His O has always been below MLB standards and has only gotten worse.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
His best season was 2016 and he had a 95 wRC+. His RBI total was bloated by hitting #5 behind 4 players with OBA's sitting near .400.

He has always been a D first player. His O has always been below MLB standards and has only gotten worse.

You don't hit 95 RBI's and call that bloated!-- he bat 5th all season that year? He also had 598 plate appearances that season! He hasn't come close to that amount and has also had major distractions and some minor injuries. I only say kick the tires all the way before writing off a former #1 prospect and a guy who showed he could put up numbers. That's all. I am not saying the Naysayers might be wrong, only to give it some more time.