CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
You don't hit 95 RBI's and call that bloated!-- he bat 5th all season that year? He also had 598 plate appearances that season! He hasn't come close to that amount and has also had major distractions and some minor injuries. I only say kick the tires all the way before writing off a former #1 prospect and a guy who showed he could put up numbers. That's all. I am not saying the Naysayers might be wrong, only to give it some more time.
What's next? Are you going to suggest everyone should be patient with a guy who led the team in 9th inning doubles in the month of August?

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
What's next? Are you going to suggest everyone should be patient with a guy who led the team in 9th inning doubles in the month of August?
It is crazy...brace yourself for my next hot take.

DB012031

Liked Posts:
You don't hit 95 RBI's and call that bloated!-- he bat 5th all season that year? He also had 598 plate appearances that season! He hasn't come close to that amount and has also had major distractions and some minor injuries. I only say kick the tires all the way before writing off a former #1 prospect and a guy who showed he could put up numbers. That's all. I am not saying the Naysayers might be wrong, only to give it some more time.

Here is the thing(s) though: His distractions, as you call them, are 100% caused by Addy himself, so that's not really an excuse. Yea, he has had some injuries but he has also averaged 492 plate appearances the previous 4 years and has a stash line of 242/314/392 with a fielding % of .974 (and it actually got worse every year until this year). The fact is, he has basically had 4 full seasons and hasn't improved anywhere. You could make an argument that he has gotten worse every year. Counter that with say Javy, who in the same time span, has gotten better every single year in just about every category (AVE, OBP, Slugging, HR's, RBI's) Maybe Addy will turn out to live up to the original hype, but the eye test and the stats don't back that up. Its time to move on from him.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Here is the thing(s) though: His distractions, as you call them, are 100% caused by Addy himself, so that's not really an excuse. Yea, he has had some injuries but he has also averaged 492 plate appearances the previous 4 years and has a stash line of 242/314/392 with a fielding % of .974 (and it actually got worse every year until this year). The fact is, he has basically had 4 full seasons and hasn't improved anywhere. You could make an argument that he has gotten worse every year. Counter that with say Javy, who in the same time span, has gotten better every single year in just about every category (AVE, OBP, Slugging, HR's, RBI's) Maybe Addy will turn out to live up to the original hype, but the eye test and the stats don't back that up. Its time to move on from him.

So sacrifice Almora. Russell came into the game with more clout and put up numbers. Almora was just a 1st rounder. I'm all for bettering the team but if you ask me who is more tradeable I'd say Almora is. Russell has shown potential.

DB012031

Liked Posts:
So sacrifice Almora. Russell came into the game with more clout and put up numbers. Almora was just a 1st rounder. I'm all for bettering the team but if you ask me who is more tradeable I'd say Almora is. Russell has shown potential.

I will have to respectfully disagree with you on that one. Keeping in mind 2016 was Albert's first year (2015 for Russell) Albert has a fielding % of .993 and a stash line of .277/.314/.405 so across the board he has better numbers (ok so tie at OBP). Albert was never known to be a power hitter so naturally his HR total's are not what Russell's are. I would absolutely give more time to Almora than I would Russell, because outside of Home Runs, Almost has a higher avg/obp/slugging than Addison does in extended time. Not to mention, no off the field issues...

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Everyone brings up his defense but seriously, the guy is barely average. He has a career fielding % of .974.

Cool. Fielding percentage. Very accurate defensive metric.

I'm hoping the Cubs could package Russell in a trade with a starter-type, like Chatwood, and send them to the Tigers for some better players.

Love this place.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I will have to respectfully disagree with you on that one. Keeping in mind 2016 was Albert's first year (2015 for Russell) Albert has a fielding % of .993 and a stash line of .277/.314/.405 so across the board he has better numbers (ok so tie at OBP). Albert was never known to be a power hitter so naturally his HR total's are not what Russell's are. I would absolutely give more time to Almora than I would Russell, because outside of Home Runs, Almost has a higher avg/obp/slugging than Addison does in extended time. Not to mention, no off the field issues...
good points. keep both?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Whole crap, Daniel Murphy has a better career fielding % than Addy. That should tell you his defense is no where near what many on this board think it is.
If you are even entertaining the thought that Daniel Murphy is as good defensively as Russell, there is not much point in any of us trying to reason with you. That is so beyond the pale I wouldn’t know where to start.

That is not to say I want Russell to start or even to stay.

But comparing fielding pctg and citing Murphy is nuts.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Russell has lost the bat on swings more than any player I have ever seen.

It has been happening his entire career.

Injury and sweat are not to blame

DB012031

Liked Posts:
If you are even entertaining the thought that Daniel Murphy is as good defensively as Russell, there is not much point in any of us trying to reason with you. That is so beyond the pale I wouldn’t know where to start.

That is not to say I want Russell to start or even to stay.

But comparing fielding pctg and citing Murphy is nuts.

My point is that everyone talks about Addison's defense is why we keep him and I am simply pointing out that the metrics say other wise, he is not nearly as good defensively as we think he is. So why do we continue to overrate his defensive abilities? I get that metrics are not the end all be all of baseball, but Addison doesn't pass the "eye" test and apparently doesn't pass the "metrics" test either....So again, why are so many on this board obsessed with his defense? That's the point. And if you were asking me if we could have Murphy or Addison right now, fuck yea I would take Murphy. The guy can hit, get on base, hit for power and his defense, again, per all metrics is as good as Addison...

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My point is that everyone talks about Addison's defense is why we keep him and I am simply pointing out that the metrics say other wise, he is not nearly as good defensively as we think he is. So why do we continue to overrate his defensive abilities? I get that metrics are not the end all be all of baseball, but Addison doesn't pass the "eye" test and apparently doesn't pass the "metrics" test either....So again, why are so many on this board obsessed with his defense? That's the point. And if you were asking me if we could have Murphy or Addison right now, fuck yea I would take Murphy. The guy can hit, get on base, hit for power and his defense, again, per all metrics is as good as Addison...
Tremendous

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
It’s funny you say by all metrics, but really mean only by fielding percentage which isn’t useful really. Russell gets to tons of balls Murphy and lots of other guys never would and makes plays with a high degree of difficulty, which increases his chances of errors

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
middle infield defense is such a hallmark of championship teams...my one complaint of my Sox rebuild right now has to be long term defensive projections...

Russell has gone through some stuff, not sure selling low would benefit you guys. That would shift Baez to SS and find a hitting 2B like Happ? or who replaces him?

what do you expect in attitude from a dude who wears eye liner?

choyne35

Liked Posts:
middle infield defense is such a hallmark of championship teams...my one complaint of my Sox rebuild right now has to be long term defensive projections...

Russell has gone through some stuff, not sure selling low would benefit you guys. That would shift Baez to SS and find a hitting 2B like Happ? or who replaces him?

what do you expect in attitude from a dude who wears eye liner?
Dude looks like a lady! Dude dude dude dude looks like a lady ? he really does have a feminine face

CSF77

Liked Posts:

RBI's are codependent on the quality of the hitters ahead of you.

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=14106&position=SS

2015 90 wRC+
2016: 95 wRC+
2017 85 wRC+
2018 80 wRC+
2019 89 wRC+

I have a basic opinion on players.

Plus O and plus D means all star and you will pay 20-30 mil per just to sign him.
plus O and neutral D means 20 mil per year talent.
plus D and neutral O is worth almost as much. About 18 mil depending on the weighted value of the position.
plus O and dislike D is worth 10 mil as a DH.
dislike O and plus D only holds value if they play SS or CF. That way they UI or 4th OF. They are worth 5 mil.
dislike both have no place in baseball and need to start using their college degrees.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It’s funny you say by all metrics, but really mean only by fielding percentage which isn’t useful really. Russell gets to tons of balls Murphy and lots of other guys never would and makes plays with a high degree of difficulty, which increases his chances of errors

UZR150 gives good range on OF. DRS is a decent metric on runs saved. I tend to agree with you on this and I feel stat-cast will be used more going forward and become the standard.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Jesse Rogers talked to Russell following the game. And uh...

"Also, not missing signs, as well," Russell said. "Stay on top of those. Remind myself, I need to become more familiar with the signs, as well. So there's no gap there. You know exactly what's being put on so you can do your job more efficient."

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
How are you missing signs?

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Russell has lost the bat on swings more than any player I have ever seen.

It has been happening his entire career.

Injury and sweat are not to blame
It came out last year that it was a hand injury. So that tells me that the guy thinks his shit does not stink and does not let trainers know about his injury because he believes he is the best player on the team and cannot miss games. When it turns into an excuse when he could hardly throw from Shortstop, they put him on the DL last year.

I just hope Russell did not get upset and go home and beat his baby mama over this.