Joe Maddon OUT as manager

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So IMO a 2 horse race.

Joe pretty much said. I want to manage the Cubs.

Ross said waiting for the phone call.

Shoot this will be interesting to see. If I had to bet. Experience managing a WS winner takes priority over inexperienced but could be a great fit.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
The difference I see is Girardi would have to be sold on a staff, while Loretta or Ross would get a staff picked for them. I am pretty sure last few picks for pitching and hitting coaches were made by Theo, and they were not real good choices. One of the keys I heard Theo say during the presser was players were off doing their own things. We already knew Heyward never listened to hitting coaches, when Chili Davis was interviewed about him he said Heyward already knew what was wrong and worked to fix it.
That is part of the problem, your highest paid player is not your best player and his leadership talk seemed to work in game 7, but actual day to day he does not work with the staff. One does it, the others ask why should they have to? The end result was poor production, guessing pitches with two strikes instead of protecting the plate. If it was not the coaches, then everyone was doing their own thing because everyone was doing it.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The difference I see is Girardi would have to be sold on a staff, while Loretta or Ross would get a staff picked for them. I am pretty sure last few picks for pitching and hitting coaches were made by Theo, and they were not real good choices. One of the keys I heard Theo say during the presser was players were off doing their own things. We already knew Heyward never listened to hitting coaches, when Chili Davis was interviewed about him he said Heyward already knew what was wrong and worked to fix it.
That is part of the problem, your highest paid player is not your best player and his leadership talk seemed to work in game 7, but actual day to day he does not work with the staff. One does it, the others ask why should they have to? The end result was poor production, guessing pitches with two strikes instead of protecting the plate. If it was not the coaches, then everyone was doing their own thing because everyone was doing it.

Theo could fix that by extending Bryant. Then your best player is your highest paid player.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I am actually considering so many are saying he's the guy. It's not going to happen.

Joe has put his name out there on the Cubs radio station. The ball is in Theo's court. If he wants Joe he will get him. If he wants Ross he will get him.

At this point there is no 'no Chance's because both Rossy and Joe G have expressed a desire.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I am actually considering so many are saying he's the guy. It's not going to happen.

There are now 7 openings, Girardi will get one of them. He did not interview with the reds last year waiting for another cub chance. When that goes away, he will take one of these jobs. Just dont expect anyone else to wait for their cub interview.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
My predictions

Joe M: LAA
Joe G: CHC
Brad A: SDP
PHI: unk.
NYM: Joe McEwing
SFG: Mark Kotsay
KCR: Mike Matheny
Pit: most likey a first timer

Joliet Jake

Liked Posts:
Theo the Great might hopefully have some candidates who he thinks will take the job and be better than JM. Otherwise, why would he let him go?

SilentLurker

Liked Posts:
It’s Ross job if he wants it. Maybe Girardi is next but don’t think Theo will want him as he will lose power.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
It’s Ross job if he wants it. Maybe Girardi is next but don’t think Theo will want him as he will lose power.

I'd take either. I think Rossy brings the team back together. But the 12 remaining teammates need the new guys to buy in.

Girardi might want to manage again but that doesn't mean he is going to relate to todays players. Yankees didn't think so in 2017 so just because he has that itch again, doesn't mean he would be a good choice for this team.

I actually just sold myself on Ross. I hope it's Ross haha!

CSF77

Liked Posts:

It is not about a power struggle. It is having a plan and finding the right guy to implement it.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'd take either. I think Rossy brings the team back together. But the 12 remaining teammates need the new guys to buy in.

Girardi might want to manage again but that doesn't mean he is going to relate to todays players. Yankees didn't think so in 2017 so just because he has that itch again, doesn't mean he would be a good choice for this team.

I actually just sold myself on Ross. I hope it's Ross haha!

This is not about holding hands a doing black slaps.

This is what Theo said:

Trying to "make sure the whole is as good or exceeds the sum of the parts" when it comes to getting the most out of the Cubs' players. Epstein feels the talent on the field in recent seasons has not reached the desired results as a group.

So the first point is he wants to culture to change and the method of cultivating a unit.

Cultivating a winning culture behind the scenes through focused and consistent work. When the Cubs add players from the outside, he wants the environment in place to be one that energizes that player, and not the other way around.

This one speaks for it self. He needs a culture on hand. Not a player like Nick to inspire the team. That is not a winning formula.

Establishing more of a team dynamic and identity. Epstein felt "our routines tended to be more individualized" rather than team-centered. He would like to see more of an emphasis on group work going forward.

This comes down to practice and Joe's personal meetings vs a group meeting. I'm pretty sure the whole Joe meets with the team 2-3 times a year really did not sit well with Theo. It created individuals vs a unit.

Creating more accountability within the clubhouse. Epstein wants an environment in the clubhouse where "sloppy mistakes, mental mistakes aren't tolerated" going forward.

He doesn't want a players coach. Pretty self explanatory here.

Embracing a "grinding" mentality from Game 1 through the final game of the season, rather than expecting that things will just turn out fine by the end of the year.

This ties into the above one. Making excuses for sloppy play. Sitting and waiting for the big hit. Not fighting for every out. Too laid back and this ties into the new managers core personality.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
This is not about holding hands a doing black slaps.

This is what Theo said:

Trying to "make sure the whole is as good or exceeds the sum of the parts" when it comes to getting the most out of the Cubs' players. Epstein feels the talent on the field in recent seasons has not reached the desired results as a group.

So the first point is he wants to culture to change and the method of cultivating a unit.

Cultivating a winning culture behind the scenes through focused and consistent work. When the Cubs add players from the outside, he wants the environment in place to be one that energizes that player, and not the other way around.

This one speaks for it self. He needs a culture on hand. Not a player like Nick to inspire the team. That is not a winning formula.

Establishing more of a team dynamic and identity. Epstein felt "our routines tended to be more individualized" rather than team-centered. He would like to see more of an emphasis on group work going forward.

This comes down to practice and Joe's personal meetings vs a group meeting. I'm pretty sure the whole Joe meets with the team 2-3 times a year really did not sit well with Theo. It created individuals vs a unit.

Creating more accountability within the clubhouse. Epstein wants an environment in the clubhouse where "sloppy mistakes, mental mistakes aren't tolerated" going forward.

He doesn't want a players coach. Pretty self explanatory here.

Embracing a "grinding" mentality from Game 1 through the final game of the season, rather than expecting that things will just turn out fine by the end of the year.

This ties into the above one. Making excuses for sloppy play. Sitting and waiting for the big hit. Not fighting for every out. Too laid back and this ties into the new managers core personality.
All that said and I still think Ross would bring more of a team unity than Girardi while Girardi would bring actual experience and a proven method.
But would players buy in to Girardi? Does Girardi take power from Theo? Does Girardi buy into analytics?
I personally thought that Maddon brought the team together in 2015-16 but that slipped away in the past 2years. Not so sure I want an older, crack the whip manager.
"holding hands"? These guys all know the game. They don't need their hands held, but you can't tell me that Ross wouldn't bring a nostalgic aspect to the 12 guys left on the series team and aid in managing the every day aspects that matter.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
All that said and I still think Ross would bring more of a team unity than Girardi while Girardi would bring actual experience and a proven method.
But would players buy in to Girardi? Does Girardi take power from Theo? Does Girardi buy into analytics?
I personally thought that Maddon brought the team together in 2015-16 but that slipped away in the past 2years. Not so sure I want an older, crack the whip manager.
"holding hands"? These guys all know the game. They don't need their hands held, but you can't tell me that Ross wouldn't bring a nostalgic aspect to the 12 guys left on the series team and aid in managing the every day aspects that matter.

You have no proof of either. Your opinion is noted.