Joe Maddon OUT as manager

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Regardless Loretta interviewed already. Ross, Venerable and Giradi are pending.

Then it will depend if Theo wants to wait on Ibanez and the Astro bench coach or stick with his 4 guys.

I see it as Theo will choose Joe based off of his 11 years of management. He is 55 still and is young for a manager still.

Will is a baby still.

Ross IMO would have been a better choice if he was coaching instead of broadcasting part time. He has little experience in running a team.

Loretta would have to have the right mindset and voice that Theo wants to push.

So the head says Joe. The heart says Ross.

We think with one and feel with the other.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs to interview Joe Girardi, David Ross for managerial opening

The Chicago Cubs have begun the interview process for a new manager, already talking with bench coach Mark Loretta on Thursday and scheduling three more interviews for next week.

Former Cubs catchers Joe Girardi and David Ross will speak with the team next week, as will first-base coach Will Venable.

Per Jesse

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Its Epstein that should have been out 2 years ago.

The league has caught up to him and he is a douche bag who believes his own bullshit. His edge is gone, he won't out think this problem.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Theo the Great might hopefully have some candidates who he thinks will take the job and be better than JM. Otherwise, why would he let him go?
There are a lot of people who would want the Cubs job. Judging by how the team looked all season, what indication was there that Joe should be back? They clearly needed a change of voice in the clubhouse.

SilentLurker

Liked Posts:
Its Epstein that should have been out 2 years ago.

The league has caught up to him and he is a douche bag who believes his own bullshit. His edge is gone, he won't out think this problem.

at least in the year end conference Theo admitted that things aren't working anymore that worked 3 years ago. I'm happy he admitted that and I hope that transfers over to the coaching staff and players.

Tired of this HR or nothing crap. Look at 2016 or this years Nats or Cards. Make some damn contact. don't try to hit a hr every ab especially when the wind is blowing in 30mph.

SilentLurker

Liked Posts:
Do you all think by next Friday we should have a new manager annouced? If Ross says no I hope Theo hire Girardi.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
at least in the year end conference Theo admitted that things aren't working anymore that worked 3 years ago. I'm happy he admitted that and I hope that transfers over to the coaching staff and players.

Tired of this HR or nothing crap. Look at 2016 or this years Nats or Cards. Make some damn contact. don't try to hit a hr every ab especially when the wind is blowing in 30mph.

The Cubs were only 12th in SO and 3 playoff teams had more than them. The Cubs were above average in team BA and top 10 on OBP, SLG, and OPS. You look at a lot of their pitching stats and they're top 10 in ERA and Quality starts. Then you look at Blown Saves and they're tied for 6th with 2 other teams. Then you look at teams that have the same or more and you see 5 playoff teams. Can't say it was the long ball despite Yu dishing out 30+ taters. Only 3 teams gave up fewer.

Reality is this team didn't click for whatever reason. On too many days the bats were good but the arms weren't or vice versa. In the end, it probably cost them 10 games or more. This is just the natural order of change in sports teams. The manger/coach goes. If things don't get better, the GM/VP goes. We'll have to see what moves they make. And of course before you shed anybody, kave an idea of who you'd replace them with.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Mark Loretta Comments On Cubs Opening
October 5th, 2019 at 10:59pm CST • By Dylan A. Chase
After interviewing this week for the open Cubs managerial seat, Mark Loretta made several comments to a Chicago-area radio station on Saturday that offered insight into his hypothetical strategy for improving the club’s on-field product. Speaking to 670 The Score, the former bench coach for Joe Maddon identified bullpen pitching, defense, and team-wide strikeouts as main areas of focus, were he to land the manager’s job on the North Side (link).

“We have three or four areas where we need to improve,” Loretta said. “We certainly had trouble in the bullpen early and late in the season. The defense, for sure, I think it could have been much better. On the offensive side, we struck out way too much.”

Additionally, Loretta–who played in parts of 15 seasons in the majors–seemed to hint at a lack of structure under the recently ousted skipper Maddon, who has long been considered to be a “player’s coach”.

“We have had a lot of optional hitting practice and fielding practice,” Loretta said. “That’s something we should take a look at as well to see if that actually makes sense. There are certain training times when players need to be on their own. Team concept and team-building exercises and getting together in practice more often are very valid.”

For what it’s worth, the 48-year-old Loretta is not the only in-house coach who might have up-close insight into how the Cubs can improve on 2019’s disappointing 84-78 final result. David Ross–who is described by 670’s Bruce Levine to be a “frontrunner” for the manager’s job–will interview in the coming week, as will first base coach Will Venable; Joe Girardi is also expected to interview, though he is said to also have a keen interest in the open Mets posting.

Loretta formerly worked as a special assistant in the San Diego front office, after a sneakily illustrious playing career split between the Brewers, Astros, Padres, Red Sox, and Dodgers. Team sources from the Padres have indicated that Loretta, a longtime Southern California resident, is also a candidate for the open Padres seat.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Mark Loretta Comments On Cubs Opening
October 5th, 2019 at 10:59pm CST • By Dylan A. Chase
After interviewing this week for the open Cubs managerial seat, Mark Loretta made several comments to a Chicago-area radio station on Saturday that offered insight into his hypothetical strategy for improving the club’s on-field product. Speaking to 670 The Score, the former bench coach for Joe Maddon identified bullpen pitching, defense, and team-wide strikeouts as main areas of focus, were he to land the manager’s job on the North Side (link).

“We have three or four areas where we need to improve,” Loretta said. “We certainly had trouble in the bullpen early and late in the season. The defense, for sure, I think it could have been much better. On the offensive side, we struck out way too much.”

Additionally, Loretta–who played in parts of 15 seasons in the majors–seemed to hint at a lack of structure under the recently ousted skipper Maddon, who has long been considered to be a “player’s coach”.

“We have had a lot of optional hitting practice and fielding practice,” Loretta said. “That’s something we should take a look at as well to see if that actually makes sense. There are certain training times when players need to be on their own. Team concept and team-building exercises and getting together in practice more often are very valid.”

For what it’s worth, the 48-year-old Loretta is not the only in-house coach who might have up-close insight into how the Cubs can improve on 2019’s disappointing 84-78 final result. David Ross–who is described by 670’s Bruce Levine to be a “frontrunner” for the manager’s job–will interview in the coming week, as will first base coach Will Venable; Joe Girardi is also expected to interview, though he is said to also have a keen interest in the open Mets posting.

Loretta formerly worked as a special assistant in the San Diego front office, after a sneakily illustrious playing career split between the Brewers, Astros, Padres, Red Sox, and Dodgers. Team sources from the Padres have indicated that Loretta, a longtime Southern California resident, is also a candidate for the open Padres seat.
Dont tell Theo, our bullpen numbers have been stellar for 5 years.

QT McPennies

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
Cubs need to go outside the organization, imo. The clubhouse needs a shake-up in the worst way. Maddon tried to overmanage his way out of a championship and has been too buddy-buddy with the players; I feel like Ross would fall into the same latter trap plus has no managerial experience.

Just find a young bench coach on a successful playoff team. Ryan Christenson from the A's or Joe Espada from the Astros come to mind; don't overthink it Theo (he probably will).

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Ibinez turned down a manager job again. Kids too young to make that commitment.

So at this point I believe it comes down to Giradi and Ross.

Loretta has interest in SD and CHC.
Giradi NYM and CHC.

NYM also is in on Beltrain. Which would be weird with their history. But new GM could happen.

Loretta IMO would be a front runner for SD. There is history there and he is established as a management candidate.

I don't have a issue with him if he did get picked. But he was the bench coach this past year and the team still downgraded. So he was not a positive factor already and there is little reason to believe this would change just by removing Joe.

They need a leader. Not a guy in a shadow.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
It was time to go but he sure wasn't the only guy underperforming. I hope the shakeup doesn't stop at the top.

There could not be more contrast between a candidate with massive experience vs one with none. I have to think Girardi gets the nod.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Loretta has a outside shot. I like what he said but he was there for a year and he did not make the team better in that year. So I really do not see him being a factor.

It has to be Joe IMO. He would have the respect coming in running the fucking Yankees in that zoo. CHC market and expectations are far more kind.