Jorge Soler

SilentLurker

Liked Posts:
Hit his 30th tonight.

Good for him. Glad he found somewhere he can play.

Who's better right now, Soler or Schwarber?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hit his 30th tonight.

They are essentially the same player this year with Schwarber better defensively.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Hit his 30th tonight.

This year, Soler is certainly the better offensive player. Soler is an absolutely horrid defender.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
They are essentially the same player this year with Schwarber better defensively.

That says a shit ton about Soler's defense. OMG.

This year, Soler is certainly the better offensive player. Soler is an absolutely horrid defender.

Soler has more RBIs by a large margin. The rest is almost identical.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That says a shit ton about Soler's defense. OMG.

Soler has more RBIs by a large margin. The rest is almost identical.

Soler has a 123 wRC+
Schwarber 107.

Last year
Soler 123
Schwarber 115

Soler has a injury track record. That is why he was traded. As we are seeing with Nick. Poor D doesn't overshadow good O.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Both have the same future, part time fielder, part time DH, eventually full time DH.

I guess you missed him going over the wall and bringing back a home run last week. That was horrible for the hitter.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Both have the same future, part time fielder, part time DH, eventually full time DH.

I guess you missed him going over the wall and bringing back a home run last week. That was horrible for the hitter.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
Fangraphs has Soler at 1.7 WAR and Kyle at 1.0. Not sure that’s as similar as you guys are making it but sure.

The other thing is Soler is hurt by playing RF for his negative defense compared to Kyle in LF so I’d imagine in LF, the value would be better for Soler.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Fangraphs has Soler at 1.7 WAR and Kyle at 1.0. Not sure that’s as similar as you guys are making it but sure.

The other thing is Soler is hurt by playing RF for his negative defense compared to Kyle in LF so I’d imagine in LF, the value would be better for Soler.
Why would Soler go from worse to better by switching to LF?
Close the gap maybe? But why such a dramatic change?

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
And by “this forum”, you mean one poster.

LOL at this. How many posters does this forum actually have? 3? 4?

I'll try to dig up the old threads talking about how the Cubs are crazy to have Schwarber practicing in left field, because he should be concentrating on his catching. Even though they were from a couple years ago, I can probably find them on the third page in this forum.

The best were the people who even allowed that Schwarber 'probably' would be used in left field, but he should still be splitting his spring training time between outfield and catcher, because Maddon would be using Schwarber as the emergency backup catcher. Fast forward to August 2019 to see this wisdom pay off!

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
And by “this forum”, you mean one poster.

Found one of the old threads...here are the highlights! I had forgotten about TC in Mississippi...does he still post here? If there is a bottom 5 of all-time CCS posters, he would definitely be on it.

This is literally the first bad game he's had defensively in Iowa. I read minor league reports on players nightly. My opinion is he is never going to be a full time catcher like say Yady is but then you probably don't really want that anyways. Yady gets the hell beat out of him every season and clearly the appeal of Schwarber is his bat to begin with. On the other hand, if Schwarber can play LF say 4 or 5 games a week and catch 1 or 2 games think how valuable that is for the team.

Even if Schwarber typically starts in LF he gives you the option to double switch later in game with the C. Additionally, as a L he gives you a C option to start when facing the favored match up pitching. Again, you can pull him out of C later in the game once the starter is gone and double switch with LF.

From everything I've heard and read between the lines this is exactly what's going to happen. I think they'll make a final decision at the end of the year as to whether he's a catcher and if he is I think they'll have a super sub that will play LF a couple days a week with Schwarber getting 2 days behind the plate and learning from Ross and Montero. Next offseason they'll likely trade Montero and Schwarber can take over full time in 2017.

And who knows, are we seriously doubting their scouting which seems to suggest that they think he is a C? By in large they've been rather spot on and the only reason any of us on this board are trying to move him away is because some other scouts have negative things to say about his defense. Ultimately I'm totally unconcerned.

if it doesn't work out for him as a major league catcher. .

I do not see him as an everyday LFer , running down balls in the gap

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
I was really sad when they traded him to Kansas City. I obviously understood we needed a closer and the outfield was crowded, but I love the way he played in the playoffs in 2015. Glad he's performing well

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Good for Soler, just shows how impatient cub fans are. Just to think, we waited 100 plus years for a world series, but can not wait one for a player forced to develop on the big league roster.

You other 3 that post with me know its still human beings playing this game. I dont know how a professional baseball player hits damn near .500 in the playoffs while the rest of the team hit about a buck 25 and his reward is getting replaced by a guy that just signed for 182 million. I am getting old and starting to forget alot, I just really never remembered anyone complaining about Solers defense, other than creaming over his arm strength, before Heyward got here.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Good for Soler, just shows how impatient cub fans are. Just to think, we waited 100 plus years for a world series, but can not wait one for a player forced to develop on the big league roster.

You other 3 that post with me know its still human beings playing this game. I dont know how a professional baseball player hits damn near .500 in the playoffs while the rest of the team hit about a buck 25 and his reward is getting replaced by a guy that just signed for 182 million. I am getting old and starting to forget alot, I just really never remembered anyone complaining about Solers defense, other than creaming over his arm strength, before Heyward got here.

9 years/$30M (2012-20)
  • signed by Chicago Cubs as a free agent from Cuba 6/30/12
  • $6M signing bonus (half at signing, half by 1/13/13)
  • 12:$1M, 13:$1M, 14:$2M, 15:$2M, 16:$3M, 17:$3M, 18:$4M,19:$4M, 20:$4M
  • once eligible, may opt out of remaining salaries and into arbitration
  • acquired by Kansas City in trade from Chicago Cubs 12/7/16

CSF77

Liked Posts:
For the money that he absorbed he has not played up to it.

He has accumulated 3.7 WAR to date as a MLB player. He has been paid 26 Mil for it.

1.9 of that 3,7 WAR was this year.

That means up to this year he provided 1.8 WAR for 22 Mil.

This is the biggest bandwagon yet. Yippy jump on board. Soler the great. Soler the King. Off to the sunset we go riding on the cape of the great Soler.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
and sense this really comes down to Schwarber vs Soler. And that was the decision made. Anything else is bullshit.

1 year/$3.39M (2019)
re-signed by Chicago Cubs 1/11/19 (avoided arbitration)
1 year/$604,500 (2018)
re-signed by Chicago Cubs 3/18
1 year/$565,500 (2017)
re-signed by Chicago Cubs 3/9/17
1 year (2016)
re-signed by Chicago Cubs 3/4/16
1 year (2015)
contract selected by Chicago Cubs 6/16/15
drafted by Chicago Cubs 2014 (1-4) (Indiana)
$3.125M signing bonus ($4.6212M slot)

Aprox 9 mil combined investment.

7.7 WAR accumulated.

So suck it.