Jorge Soler

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

9 years/$30M (2012-20)
  • signed by Chicago Cubs as a free agent from Cuba 6/30/12
  • $6M signing bonus (half at signing, half by 1/13/13)
  • 12:$1M, 13:$1M, 14:$2M, 15:$2M, 16:$3M, 17:$3M, 18:$4M,19:$4M, 20:$4M
  • once eligible, may opt out of remaining salaries and into arbitration
  • acquired by Kansas City in trade from Chicago Cubs 12/7/16

Dont understand what this had to do with Heyward getting that much money his first year here.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Dont understand what this had to do with Heyward getting that much money his first year here.

Soler being traded was unrelated to Heyward being signed.

Heyward was signed at the beginning of 2016.

Soler was still on the team.

Schwarber was injured that year. LF was Soler's by default.

What did he do with the opportunity?

86 games 264 PA. 0.8 WAR

After that season the Cubs traded him for a closer. They chose to trade a often injured Soler over Schwarber who just helped them win the WS. It was a easy choice to make.

Soler played 35 games in 2017 for -.9 WAR. That is what the Royals got in return for selling Wade Davis.

As bad as Schwarber was in 2017 it was far superior to another injured campaign.

You are really trying to make this into a Heyward thing and it is stupid to do so. Heyward was signed to fill the vacant CF by Fowler's F/A. Fowler resigned in S/T after he could not land a multi year deal and that pushed Heyward back to his natural RF and LF into a platoon. Which should have been Soler's opportunity with Schwarber injured. But alas Again the great King fell yet again.

As much shit as you lay onto Heyward he is there and provides plus D and will move to a off position to make the team better.

Enough is enough. This one is comical. You wait for 8 years and 26 mil later to get a 1.8 WAR season and jump up and down like we just sold Trout. You realize that Schwarber has had 3+ WAR campaign right. Over the span Heyward has been here he has accumulated 5.6 WAR also. Again superior to Soler.

Last edited:

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

86 games 264 PA. 0.8 WAR

After that season the Cubs traded him for a closer. They chose to trade a often injured Soler over Schwarber who just helped them win the WS. It was a easy choice to make.

Soler played 35 games in 2017 for -.9 WAR. That is what the Royals got in return for selling Wade Davis.

As bad as Schwarber was in 2017 it was far superior to another injured campaign.

You are really trying to make this into a Heyward thing and it is stupid to do so. Heyward was signed to fill the vacant CF by Fowler's F/A. Fowler resigned in S/T after he could not land a multi year deal and that pushed Heyward back to his natural RF and LF into a platoon. Which should have been Soler's opportunity with Schwarber injured. But alas Again the great King fell yet again.

As much shit as you lay onto Heyward he is there and provides plus D and will move to a off position to make the team better.

Enough is enough. This one is comical. You wait for 8 years and 26 mil later to get a 1.8 WAR season and jump up and down like we just sold Trout. You realize that Schwarber has had 3+ WAR campaign right. Over the span Heyward has been here he has accumulated 5.6 WAR also. Again superior to Soler.

Well said. Another "bonus" is that the only way KC can keep him healthy is to DH him over half the time. What good does that do the Cubs? Don't get me wrong, though....I loved the guy but his injuries drove everyone crazy.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

86 games 264 PA. 0.8 WAR

Exactly, Soler was still on the team. That is the personal side you do not understand.

I just performed better than anyone in the 2015 playoffs and I was the guy that got replaced.

So you want to take this back to Fowlers fault, well, you know you will not get an argument from me over that.

So at least you finally post that you agree that Heyward was signed to replace Fowler and play center field, at least we are getting somewhere. That is the person side. Let all the AFTER THE FACT NUMBERS and made up WAR calculations take away the eye test.

What might have happened here if Fowler was not signed again. Would we have had a whole year of Schwarber, Heyward and Soler instead of Soler being benched for most probably the first time in his career? What might have happened with Schwarbers development, both as catcher and left fielder? (He never would have gotten injured because Heyward would have let the left fielder catch that ball, and, well, he is afraid of the wall) But lets not look at Heyward being signed here taking away from either of those players.

No data to back any of that up, other than pretty much hacking up two years of guys in their second season that were supposed to be here for a decade. Why does that never get any credit or blame?

I cant remember, did you ever complain about Solers D before Heyward got here?

2015, .260 average, .325 on base, .400 slugging 95 games, about half a season, 4 assists only 1 error, full season, that is what Heyward got you last year, even though Schwarber got 11 to lead the team.

Guess what, Soler still averages .250, on base is up to .337, same guy right? Just allowed to get his home run swing back.

Schwarber, Heyward, Soler was not good enough, so they went back to Fowler and planted Soler on the bench or stuck him in left field, somewhere he never played.

Lets go to last off season. How many fans wanted Harper? It is always going to be the bigger name here.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Exactly, Soler was still on the team. That is the personal side you do not understand.

I just performed better than anyone in the 2015 playoffs and I was the guy that got replaced.

So you want to take this back to Fowlers fault, well, you know you will not get an argument from me over that.

So at least you finally post that you agree that Heyward was signed to replace Fowler and play center field, at least we are getting somewhere. That is the person side. Let all the AFTER THE FACT NUMBERS and made up WAR calculations take away the eye test.

What might have happened here if Fowler was not signed again. Would we have had a whole year of Schwarber, Heyward and Soler instead of Soler being benched for most probably the first time in his career? What might have happened with Schwarbers development, both as catcher and left fielder? (He never would have gotten injured because Heyward would have let the left fielder catch that ball, and, well, he is afraid of the wall) But lets not look at Heyward being signed here taking away from either of those players.

No data to back any of that up, other than pretty much hacking up two years of guys in their second season that were supposed to be here for a decade. Why does that never get any credit or blame?

2015, .260 average, .325 on base, .400 slugging 95 games, about half a season, 4 assists only 1 error, full season, that is what Heyward got you last year, even though Schwarber got 11 to lead the team.

Guess what, Soler still averages .250, on base is up to .337, same guy right? Just allowed to get his home run swing back.

Schwarber, Heyward, Soler was not good enough, so they went back to Fowler and planted Soler on the bench or stuck him in left field, somewhere he never played.

Lets go to last off season. How many fans wanted Harper? It is always going to be the bigger name here.
How much drugs do you take?

CSF77

Liked Posts:

I was really going to say something so thank you.

I didnt want to waste my day with my wife over this drool.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
None, never in my life, you think that is my problem? MANY problem?

People cannot even agree that Heyward started the year in Solers right field spot, which was a fact, it really happened.

The rest is a what if game.

Dont get me wrong, Soler would have maybe gotten 90 games and gotten hurt, but it did not do him any good being the one guy starting the year without a spot.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
None, never in my life, you think that is my problem? MANY problem?

People cannot even agree that Heyward started the year in Solers right field spot, which was a fact, it really happened.

The rest is a what if game.

Dont get me wrong, Soler would have maybe gotten 90 games and gotten hurt, but it did not do him any good being the one guy starting the year without a spot.

You are an idiot.

Fowler was signed a week or 2 into spring training.

They had no CF going into spring.

They had Soler and Schwarber slatted.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
LOL at this. How many posters does this forum actually have? 3? 4?

I'll try to dig up the old threads talking about how the Cubs are crazy to have Schwarber practicing in left field, because he should be concentrating on his catching. Even though they were from a couple years ago, I can probably find them on the third page in this forum.

The best were the people who even allowed that Schwarber 'probably' would be used in left field, but he should still be splitting his spring training time between outfield and catcher, because Maddon would be using Schwarber as the emergency backup catcher. Fast forward to August 2019 to see this wisdom pay off!
You won't have to look far. The two people who though then that Schwarber was a catcher are still insisting it today. They are on anti-depressants since the trade for Lucroy, but they still post here.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Ahhh, the Idiot making more friends I see. At least he said something dumb enough to get a response. That in itself is a rarity.

Last edited:

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:

Schwarbs: .234/.330/.497/.828
Soler: .254/.337/.536/.873

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Im not sure where he keeps going with this. He is acting like Soler would put the Cubs on top as a part time DH.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Im not sure where he keeps going with this. He is acting like Soler would put the Cubs on top as a part time DH.

You said Soler and Schwarber are essentially the same player. No, no they aren't.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
You said Soler and Schwarber are essentially the same player. No, no they aren't.

You are right they are not.

Schwarber 7.6 WAR as a MLB player.
Soler: 4.1.

Nope not the same player.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
But to give you bandwaggon clowns a break.

It has been always a health issue with him. If he was not talented he would have not been a part of the original core make up.

But it has always been about his health. And that is why he was traded. 1 good year doesn't equal all of the partial years.

A betting man wouldn't invest heavy into him.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Honestly never thought I would live long enough to witness the rise of Jorge Soler revanchism.

Last edited: