Knives

1COBearsfan

Equinsu ocha
Donator
Liked Posts:
Anyone ever one of these sharpening systems?

http://www.edgeproinc.com/

I ended up getting this, but it’s the first version without the ball bearing pivot. It’s the most basic package too, no upgraded or extra stones. It’s definitely enough for what I need it for. My test knife was one I keep in my toolbox. It’s really easy to get a great working edge, no years and years of hand stoning required

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What's your every-day carry? I usually have a Spyderco Endura on my hip, but just ordered a Microtech Ultratech. Full metal Spydercos are fucking amazing: absolutely zero play, above average blade steel, really nothing to complain about.

Any company preferences?
Endura here also.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
I picked up the RMJ Tactical Kestrel Tomahawk a couple days ago and will break it in over the weekend on a camping trip. I have the matching RMJ knife as well, but have really been only acquiring tomahawks as of late. RMJ makes a great product, and these are more affordable than the Winkler hawks I have been collecting.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
I picked up the RMJ Tactical Kestrel Tomahawk a couple days ago and will break it in over the weekend on a camping trip. I have the matching RMJ knife as well, but have really been only acquiring tomahawks as of late. RMJ makes a great product, and these are more affordable than the Winkler hawks I have been collecting.

View attachment 3401
How much?

I keep a hatchet and folding shovel in my emergency kit in my truck but have actually been interested in getting a "zombie killer."

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
How much?

I keep a hatchet and folding shovel in my emergency kit in my truck but have actually been interested in getting a "zombie killer."

They‘re pretty pricey, about $500/per for the RMJ hawks and nearly double that for Winkler. Worth every penny though, especially the latter which are the hand-weapon of choice for Seal Teams and other special forces.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:

View attachment 3401
Holy mother of Jesus. You can scalp the shit out of motherfucker with that.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
1863873.jpg

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:

I can almost literally see that little bit of clear plastic bag stuck at the tip of that after you press it out of your Applebees to-go silverware pack and @RacerX silently thanking you for your business.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I lost my knife. It's gotta be in the house somewhere. I need to get another one for fishing (outside of fillet knives), outdoors stuff, every day / general purpose carry. I really liked the Kershaw Leek and probably will snag another one unless someone can give me a better recommendation. Want something slim, sharp, with assisted opening.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
If anyone sees a tan or black handle microtech combat troodon hellhound in stock please post a link

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
I lost my knife. It's gotta be in the house somewhere. I need to get another one for fishing (outside of fillet knives), outdoors stuff, every day / general purpose carry. I really liked the Kershaw Leek and probably will snag another one unless someone can give me a better recommendation. Want something slim, sharp, with assisted opening.

I am no help on the assisted opening bit as I have always been fine with thumb flicking to open.

That being said I have been fine with my simple Buck for several years now. It is cheap compared to what I am seeing is needed dollars wise to get to the top of the functional market according to @Tjodalv but it has worked without fail, never come open in my pocket, and only recently after 4 plus years needed to have the pocket clip tightened.

I think it was in the 35-50$ range.

Having recently taken up sharpening knives (my kitchen knives) I am going to give it a cleanup soon, but if I were to be purchasing a new one anytime soon I would be in the 200$ plus market. The main reason that I think that you move up in price is the action, blade quality, and most importantly the lock quality. I know that the one I have has that cheap lock on it that would fail under extreme pressure and end up being dangerous under high force.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Donated the Buck knife I mentioned previously to the TSA (it happens when you are stuffing your pockets full in a rush to the airport at 4 AM) so I picked up a cheap CRKT just so I had a daily.

I am in the market for a step up from it though as it doesn't feel that comfy in my hands. where should I be looking in the 200 range?

Spyderco
higher end CRKT
Bench made?

those are just the ones I saw at the sporting good store the last time I wandered through there, of course there wasn't an associate to help so I just bought a prepackaged cheap one to have a carry.

suggestions?

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Cool. Always thought about getting one of the Spyderco damascus models.

Never handled one, but the Combat Troodon always struck me as a bit beefy to carry for my liking. I have a Ultratech and one of the initial run of the Cypher, which is admittedly a biggun, but is actually relatively thin in pocket.

My three most recent completely unnecessary purchases:

Herman_Ishtar32_Carbon_Titan.jpg

Herman Ishtar (except mine has a mammoth ivory inlay rather than the carbon fiber pictured).

IMG_0262_1024x1024@2x.jpg
Skiff Drifter.

IMG_2921_2400x.jpg

Holt Haptic.

So this is most of the high end portion of the collection sans those above:

1x5xx348t2h51.jpg

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Donated the Buck knife I mentioned previously to the TSA (it happens when you are stuffing your pockets full in a rush to the airport at 4 AM) so I picked up a cheap CRKT just so I had a daily.

I am in the market for a step up from it though as it doesn't feel that comfy in my hands. where should I be looking in the 200 range?

Spyderco
higher end CRKT
Bench made?

those are just the ones I saw at the sporting good store the last time I wandered through there, of course there wasn't an associate to help so I just bought a prepackaged cheap one to have a carry.

suggestions?

Benchmade 940 (really the only Benchmade I'm a fan of)

Any of the mid-range Spydercos (the Paramilatary 2 and Para 3 are standards)

Zero Tolerance makes a bunch of good stuff in that price range

WE and Reate are the Chinese companies that make great knives (Kizer, Boker Plus, and Bestech are getting there)

If you can find them the Ferrum Forge pro series are really good (most of their new stuff is more budget oriented)

Hogue Knives

Kansept is a brand new company that people seem to like

Giantmouse

Artisan Cutlery

Really, any of those companies you'd be happy with as far as quality, it's just a matter of the size and style that does it for you.