Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
I dont think so. I think they only really match with the Dodgers and I just dont see it.

The Phillies don't have much to offer. WSH either. I swear if they send him to one of those teams and get crap in return..

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Is there anyway they just arbitrate him until the end and try to re-sign at that point?
I get it that if they think he is gone, you'd want to trade for something but sometimes that isn't worth it in the end.

DIfferent sports but if I told you the Bears kept Howard one last season and then got nothing in return when he re-signed versus a 6th round pick who barely might make the team or practice squad, what would you take?

I just don't see giving Bryant up for peanuts. I'd rather just have him for 2 more seasons and lose him outright to FA then some BS prospects some other team is willing to part with for a MVP talent.

A lot of shit happens in 2 seasons.

SilentLurker

Liked Posts:
Trade Bryant and get good prospects. Braves might be intertested I hear.

Sign Rendon to replace him. But they probably wont' spend that kind of money this offseason.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I mean theoretically the cubs could just keep him for 2 years and take the QO pick but from a max value stand point that's not very good. Will he be traded? I'm like 60/40 yes/no. Given how bonkers teams seem to be on 3B this offseason I think it's smart to at least try to shop him to see what you can get.

For me I think there's only 3 teams I can currently see mattering based on who's in on rendon/donaldson. The Dodgers are an obvious one but if I'm them I don't really see the point in giving that much up to get him. Presumably the idea would be to move Turner/Muncy to the right side of the field and plug 2B with better quality but it seems a bit like over kill to do that by trading for Bryant.

Atlanta is a team that probably should do it. If I'm them I'm picking one of Pache and Waters as my future CF and dealing the other as the headline piece since they already have Acuna. They could conceivably do something like Waters, Fried, and one of their better pitching prospects then go out and sign Bumgarner which has been rumored to replace Fried.

The most interesting team to me though is the Angels. They can't keep waisting the best years of Trout. Additionally they have the money to re-sign Bryant and just so happened to trade away Zack Cozart today to clear some money. Any trade with them would have to include Jo Adell which is interesting because he's likely the best prospect they could realistically hope from any of these teams and he can play CF which would be a clear area of need. I doubt he'd be ready to break camp but by midseason he probably will be. It also helps a bit their #2 prospect is also a CF/RF and obviously Trout is going no where. I'd probably also make them include Jordyn Adams who's farther away than I'd like but he did reach A+ at 19 and has some crazy tools. IIRC he had the opportunity to go to UNC as a WR but took baseball money instead which is kind of similar to Brennan Davis.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
Given what the Cubs want to do payroll wise, I'd say it's 70% they trade him. I'd want what LAA can offer because the Cubs need CF and they have it to spare. I think somebody loses out of Rendon and Donaldson and the Cubs can pick the pieces in the after market. As has been stated, the Angels will have the money to absorb what Bryant will cost and need to make moves to get value out of Trout lest he be more wasted that Ted Williams.

SilentLurker

Liked Posts:
Given what the Cubs want to do payroll wise, I'd say it's 70% they trade him. I'd want what LAA can offer because the Cubs need CF and they have it to spare. I think somebody loses out of Rendon and Donaldson and the Cubs can pick the pieces in the after market. As has been stated, the Angels will have the money to absorb what Bryant will cost and need to make moves to get value out of Trout lest he be more wasted that Ted Williams.

Maddog Russo predicted the Cubs around .500 or a little over the next few years. This looks to be accurate. They aren't winning the division next few years unless they make some bombshell trade. Retool or out of cash.

SilentLurker

Liked Posts:
Rendon gone - anyway it was a long shot they were going to give him all that money the Angels did.

Nats looking for a 3b now - good time to present Bryant to them and see what you can get in young prospects.

Joe Maddon looking in a better spot by each day. If they get Bumgarner the Angels look to be a team on the rise where the cubs are the other way

CSF77

Liked Posts:

While the Cubs are reportedly working hard towards swinging some (potentially major) trades, the possibility exists that the 2020 roster will look a lot like last year’s edition, president of baseball operations Theo Epstein told Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times and other media. “The makings of a very good team is currently under control on our roster, with a chance to win a division. And do that, and you have a chance to have a great October,” Epstein said, though “status quo is not a bad option, but we’re obviously out there looking to make changes and change the dynamic and improve.” It could be that the Cubs won’t become big players in the trade market until most or all of the top free agents have selected their new teams. In the case of Kris Bryant, for example, “officials from two teams aggressively trying to fill third-base needs…said the Cubs were asking too much for Bryant to seriously consider him while other options remained available,” Wittenmyer writes.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'm pretty sure that the Braves are one of the two. But Theo is over pricing Bryant with out the knowledge of the grevance complete. Austin Riley should be on the table as the return. He was the guy that was supposed to be the future 3B and A.A. didn't trust it.

Another issue is KB has degraded as a 3B in DRS. (3,4,1, -2,-7) So teams are also seeing him becoming a 1B or a corner OF sooner than later.

When Donaldson comes off the board and Bryant is a 1 or 2 year but then something should play out.

This is another option if a team wants control for a heavy payment.

Last edited:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Honestly looking at all of this I would steer clear of Bryant as a buyer. He is a bad option and Theo would rip off any team stupid enough to go there. They would be buying a bat. Then they would have to push him off position or suffer poor D.

I get why Theo wants to sell though. Going to end up a huge over payment on a corner OF/1B/DH over the term of the deal. Waiting it out will just make that a reality.

This most likely plays out status Quo and Bryant ends up in RF and Happ at 3B eventually.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Right now teams aren't going to get Bryant until his service time issue is resolved. The prospect haul between 1-2 years of control will be quite different.

But I see the Braves as the best option as we can get two starting pitchers and a 3b prospect in return.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Right now teams aren't going to get Bryant until his service time issue is resolved. The prospect haul between 1-2 years of control will be quite different.

But I see the Braves as the best option as we can get two starting pitchers and a 3b prospect in return.

-7 DRS is a huge eyesore