Leonard Floyd Ready for a Breakout Season?

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Now Willie McGinest is onboard the Floyd hype train.

His 2019 Prediction: 11 sacks

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I suspect that these progostinators feel that this more aggressive D will have Floyd with less coverage responsibilities and more opportunities to cash in on the disruption. He should get more sacks, it's just a matter of how many more.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I suspect that these progostinators feel that this more aggressive D will have Floyd with less coverage responsibilities and more opportunities to cash in on the disruption. He should get more sacks, it's just a matter of how many more.

Is that in the best interest of the team? Maybe Floyd is just a better coverage OLB than a pass rushing OLB.

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I am liking that we now have Two 'rangy' safeties with HaHa and Jackson.
This has got to be a Pagano 'dream' enabling him to methodically orchestrate a blitz from either side

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Is that in the best interest of the team? Maybe Floyd is just a better coverage OLB than a pass rushing OLB.

But after losing Amos, who is going to take up his pass rush responsibility? The guy was like an extra DE in the box.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Never said it was and I really don't know. It will depend on a few factors like scheme and if added disruption creates other opportunities.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

It wasn't just a question of opportunity though. He sucked taking advantage of those opportunities. Mack had 441 pass rush opportunities and Floyd had 416. Mack rushed the passer 87.8% of the time and Floyd 80.3 percent of the time when teams passed. So Floyd was in coverage about 7% more which is probably fine given in our base D he would be the 5th pass rusher (3 down lineman and Mack).

To put this in perspective, of edge players with at least 300 snaps, Mack was 2nd in the NFL getting pressure on 9.2% of snaps. Floyd was 52nd out of 57 at 4.8 percent. So his productivity per snap pass rush wise was one of the worst in the entire NFL at his position.

So not an issue of more opportunity but an issue of he needs to get better on a per snap basis. Now he was at 8.4% and 8.2% his first two years so maybe his injury is to blame for that regression but it was pretty poor last year.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It wasn't just a question of opportunity though. He sucked taking advantage of those opportunities. Mack had 441 pass rush opportunities and Floyd had 416. Mack rushed the passer 87.8% of the time and Floyd 80.3 percent of the time when teams passed. So Floyd was in coverage about 7% more which is probably fine given in our base D he would be the 5th pass rusher (3 down lineman and Mack).

To put this in perspective, of edge players with at least 300 snaps, Mack was 2nd in the NFL getting pressure on 9.2% of snaps. Floyd was 52nd out of 57 at 4.8 percent. So his productivity per snap pass rush wise was one of the worst in the entire NFL at his position.

So not an issue of more opportunity but an issue of he needs to get better on a per snap basis. Now he was at 8.4% and 8.2% his first two years so maybe his injury is to blame for that regression but it was pretty poor last year.
Curious where you got Floyd's pass rush attempt #s since not in coverage and rushing are not the same thing. The point was that if the line the rush becomes more aggressive, even if he doesn't improve or if he does get another ding, he should have more sacks simply by cleaning up. We all would like to see more from Floyd personally but this D may allow more big plays but also make them for more players.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
PFF has pass rush snaps and passing snaps. So his rush percentage is just the former divided by the latter.

I agree that the scheme may help improve his opportunties but I think he also needs to improve his productivity per snap as last year it was quite poor.