Long Term Solution at QB-Thread

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm drafting a QB early next year and investing heavily in the OL. If Mitch can demonstrate any hope of reading an NFL defense the rest of this season than let him and the rook have an open competition. If however he continues to Mitchell his way around, cut bait and sign Alex Smith or some vet who can start games.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I'm drafting a QB early next year and investing heavily in the OL. If Mitch can demonstrate any hope of reading an NFL defense the rest of this season than let him and the rook have an open competition. If however he continues to Mitchell his way around, cut bait and sign Alex Smith or some vet who can start games.
I don't think you cut bait on Mitch. He's fully guaranteed through 2020 I believe. You do just like you said and draft a QB in the draft and let them have a competition. If the Rookie wins out, you have a solid backup for cheap and a trade piece.

Also, I was just digging around looking at Mitch's contract and they have this new 'market value' tab. They currently have Trubisky at 6 years/$158M for $26M/yr. @WindyCity

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHahahahahahahahahaha

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Tannenhill or Rosen, would be a good short term solution and not waste a superbowl ready defense. Tannenhill would not be forced to do much and can actually read defenses. Can he stay healthy who knows..but Mitch seems to have the same issue.

I say grab Tannenhill and let Mitch develop. Also thing Nagy system will benefit Tannenhill

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

I feel really iffy about Alex Smith based on the catastrophic nature of his injury. I guess the Nagy/Smith chemistry would be a good thing. But yeah, that injury... Is he coming back to the NFL after that? Forget that. CAN he come back to the NFL after that?

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think you cut bait on Mitch. He's fully guaranteed through 2020 I believe. You do just like you said and draft a QB in the draft and let them have a competition. If the Rookie wins out, you have a solid backup for cheap and a trade piece.

Also, I was just digging around looking at Mitch's contract and they have this new 'market value' tab. They currently have Trubisky at 6 years/$158M for $26M/yr. @WindyCity

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHahahahahahahahahaha

I didn't know Phil Emery worked for sportrac.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Ya give me all your thumbs down CRM. It won't change a thing. Get used to Mitch being our QB for the next 10+ years lol.
I hope you are right with Mitch being our QB for the next 10 years. For that to happen he would actually have to start playing like a franchise QB. And if he can figure it out and become a real franchise QB then that really solves a lot of problems.. Because the lack of pics the bears have and needing OL and TE help. Having to move up in the draft again and use multiple pics for another QB is kind of depressing.

I'm rooting for the kid.. but I really don't have faith in him anymore

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I feel really iffy about Alex Smith based on the catastrophic nature of his injury. I guess the Nagy/Smith chemistry would be a good thing. But yeah, that injury... Is he coming back to the NFL after that? Forget that. CAN he come back to the NFL after that?

Yeah, they had footage of him at an NFL game recently, and he still had a pronounced limp. His initial timeline for recovery was 6-8 months, and he was expected to ready for the start 2019 season. Smith will be 36 years old before the start of the 2020 season.

Last edited:

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I hope you are right with Mitch being our QB for the next 10 years. For that to happen he would actually have to start playing like a franchise QB. And if he can figure it out and become a real franchise QB then that really solves a lot of problems.. Because the lack of pics the bears have and needing OL and TE help. Having to move up in the draft again and use multiple pics for another QB is kind of depressing.

I'm rooting for the kid.. but I really don't have faith in him anymore
This is a good way to put it. Bears need him to be the guy because we have no draft pics after trading up to get him and Mack. If the bears end up cutting trubisky, they should just disband the franchise

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
What I think happens

-The Bears ride with Mitch for 1 more year

-Maybe a better veteran than Daniel is signed but they don’t really have the cash.

-They will Draft a QB in round 5 or 6 to say they did it and take a swing.

-They will double down on fixing the OL and trying to fix the offense that way.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Honestly, there’s not a lot of great options. Here’s what I would like to see:

It’s easy to say draft a QB in the 2nd. Well....you have to like a QB a lot to draft one in the 2nd and forego other positions of need. If you like a QB, great, draft one. If not, take BPA.

Definitely need to find a better backup than chase. More importantly, you need to fix the OL. My theme of the off season would be to fix the OL. Fire Harry. Find a quality RG. Possibly switch back daniel and whitehair, but the season needs to play out to make a decision on that. Bitch slap Leno and get him back on track.

We need to see what Mitch does the rest of the season. He hasn’t played much this year and the OL has been terrible. Evaluate him the rest of the year. If he plays great, this is all for naught. If not, you have to bring in comp. whether that’s a vet or rook. But if he plays like a dud, you have to have an open comp next year.

Bottom line, the OL needs to be repaired. Might need to change the scheme as well. Maybe run a ZBS. I think Nagy is already done with Mitch and will push for a new QB. Barring a complete 180 from Mitch when he comes back. I’d rather not pay a ton for someone like foles, personally, but the bears might have no choice if they want to capitalize on this window. All that said, without significant improvement from the OL, bears are fucked.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
What I think happens

-The Bears ride with Mitch for 1 more year

-Maybe a better veteran than Daniel is signed but they don’t really have the cash.

-They will Draft a QB in round 5 or 6 to say they did it and take a swing.

-They will double down on fixing the OL and trying to fix the offense that way.

I'd actually be good with all the rest if they did the last one and got it right with the OL even giving Trubisky another year.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Honestly, there’s not a lot of great options. Here’s what I would like to see:

It’s easy to say draft a QB in the 2nd. Well....you have to like a QB a lot to draft one in the 2nd and forego other positions of need. If you like a QB, great, draft one. If not, take BPA.

Definitely need to find a better backup than chase. More importantly, you need to fix the OL. My theme of the off season would be to fix the OL. Fire Harry. Find a quality RG. Possibly switch back daniel and whitehair, but the season needs to play out to make a decision on that. Bitch slap Leno and get him back on track.

We need to see what Mitch does the rest of the season. He hasn’t played much this year and the OL has been terrible. Evaluate him the rest of the year. If he plays great, this is all for naught. If not, you have to bring in comp. whether that’s a vet or rook. But if he plays like a dud, you have to have an open comp next year.

Bottom line, the OL needs to be repaired. Might need to change the scheme as well. Maybe run a ZBS. I think Nagy is already done with Mitch and will push for a new QB. Barring a complete 180 from Mitch when he comes back. I’d rather not pay a ton for someone like foles, personally, but the bears might have no choice if they want to capitalize on this window. All that said, without significant improvement from the OL, bears are fucked.

Now that's a post written with reason and common sense. It's real easy for fans to come on a message board and say everything we should do but it's not quite that easy for the people that actually have to do the job to do those things. For me it starts with the o-line and Nagy's play calling. There's too much talent on this offense in offensive weapons for us to be as bad as we've been.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I'd actually be good with all the rest if they did the last one and got it right with the OL even giving Trubisky another year.
This is why Bears fans are annoying. You would prefer to continue to suck and waste the defense for another year just so the mediocre QB the Bears drafted can have one more shot at it. Will 3 years not be enough to make a decision on this guy?

I get Trubisky will be here next year no matter what, but at this point I am in the draft a QB early camp barring some significant improvements.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
This is why Bears fans are annoying. You would prefer to continue to suck and waste the defense for another year just so the mediocre QB the Bears drafted can have one more shot at it. Will 3 years not be enough to make a decision on this guy?

I get Trubisky will be here next year no matter what, but at this point I am in the draft a QB early camp barring some significant improvements.

Sounds good if there’s a QB that Nagy likes in the 2nd or mid/late first in a trade up. But if not, just drafting a QB that higher because Mitch has been disappointing doesn’t seem smart either. Would have to go with a vet if there isn’t someone Nagy likes in the draft. Still, this is so early to be proclaiming a plan. There’s a lot of football left. We’ll see what happens.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
If Trubisky turns it around and Bears make a good playoff run:

- Invest heavy in OL

- Watch as the Bears win multiple superbowls

If Trubisky does not turn it around at all and Bears miss playoffs.

- Invest heavy in OL

- Take QB with one of the 2nd round picks

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
For Josh Rosen ( 2 INTS. 2day) fans ......he got yanked for R. Fitzpatrick today, ?