airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
4bec0a707133aa2be896c6a3e5b5d741.png

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
I don't really understand the compulsion to distort reality in order to demonize Lovie as a terrible coach. Cause he wasn't. He was a damn good coach and if folks can't see that... well, then I don't know what to say.

Well, I could spend a few pages debating Lovie with you, but to what end? I can build a pretty strong case that he was a pure DC that was overmatched as a HC, but he's gone now. Also, everyone has an opinion, and I'm not going to try to change yours because (a) it's futile, and (B) I accomplish nothing by doing so.

Wakacha

Liked Posts:
I don't have photoshop, so this one is a little bit rough, but i don't really give a fuck

auj8kp.jpg

SouthSida773

Liked Posts:
"We are a running football team.. We get off the bus running"

Then he goes and hires Mike Martz, a guy who throws the ball 100% of the time.

Classic Lovie Smiff

RacerX

Liked Posts:
i think that's pretty fair. i think he started out here as a good defensive coach and left a brillliant one. it's actually kind of a shame if he never returns to DC'ing somewhere.
beyond that, despite the complaints of his complete lack of charisma, ever player who came through halas hall would walk off a cliff for lovie and that's certainly an integral part of coaching... but his complete ineptitude at putting together an offensive staff and getting the best out of his offensive players will forever keep him from damn good coach status.

is there any other coach in the nfl over the last decade who would be considered very good while fielding only half a competitive team?

As far as I'm aware, he started out as a Cover/Tampa-2 DC that never made any adjustments, and he left exactly the same way. The reason he wasn't a good HC is because he was intellectually limited and therefore made fewer adjustments than any HC I can ever recall.

RacerX

Liked Posts:
The fact that he was able to create an elite defense from what Jerry Angelo gave him for 7 years shows how brilliant he was defensively. Looking back on it, I wonder how good the Tice/Martz/Turner offenses would have been if they had the talent that team currently has now. Yeah, those guys made terrible decisions and had questionable play-calling, but if you gave them Marshall, Bennett and this OL, Lovie would probably still have his job.

He had #54, Briggs, Tillman, Brown, Peppers, Harris/Melton, etc. JA was a disaster, I think we can all agree on that, but he gave Lovie some damn good players on D. One of the reasons Lovie's D succeeded is because JA over-allocated our resources (draft, FA) to D personnel.

RacerX

Liked Posts:
"We are a running football team.. We get off the bus running"

Then he goes and hires Mike Martz, a guy who throws the ball 100% of the time.

Classic Lovie Smiff

He rattled off that line when we were averaging 3.2 YPC and second to last in rushing in the NFC. Sad.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
As far as I'm aware, he started out as a Cover/Tampa-2 DC that never made any adjustments, and he left exactly the same way. The reason he wasn't a good HC is because he was intellectually limited and therefore made fewer adjustments than any HC I can ever recall.

Then you know wrong, and worse, didn't pay attention the last 2+ years when the Bears were in cover 2 less than 40% of snaps in some games.

Its pretty easy to dismiss this statement as nonsense because of how ridiculously broad and extreme it is. How would the coach you are describing even win a single game?