LT options in draft? Day 1 playable?

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
With talk of a top TE, OL (G / LT), and possibly pass run in the 2nd, how deep is this draft at OL really?

I'm no scout or college fan, so...Will there be starting LT talent dropping to Bears at their early 2nd Rd pick? ...2nd 2nd????

Granted, we all know that "starting LT" talent isn't asking for much compared to Leno, so let's measure as..."good value @ pick #___".

Decent listing & descriptions. Has 13 OTs peaking in Rds 1-2. : https://walterfootball.com/draft2020ot.php

6 OTs in top 50: https://thedraftnetwork.com/prospect-rankings

This article has only 4 in top 50...Mekhi Becton #11; Jedrick Wills #11; Andrew Thomas #25; Austin Jackson #33
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...op-50-prospect-rankings-for-2020-nfl-draft-10

Last edited:

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
From the Walter FB link above...thoughts on these guys or others?

Sounds good. Likely to be there in 2nd unless he tests up. Good character guy to give up football for a bit to give bone marrow to his sister. Slightly lighter but could bulk.

Adams slid after injuries. Previously seen as a top draft prospect had he come out earlier. Injury risk vs value?

Honestly I read "skill of a starting left tackle in the NFL", and chance to slide. ?‍♂️
Maybe late 2nd or after a trade down further? Assuming coaching can fine tune him:

Last edited:

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
Replacing Leno should be one of the top priorities, but his cap hit is too restrictive to cut so he financially has to be on the line.

None of these guys seem like Day 1 starters so Leno would still be starting.

Now, one should be drafted to develop for replacing Leno the next year but Pace won't do that. He needs the team to make the playoffs in 2020 and none of these guys can help do that.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Austin Jackson is athletic but pretty soft. If you watch his tape against Iowa in the Holiday Bowl he gets absolutely abused by Epenesa. Very high ceiling but will likely need a year.

Wahnogo is likewise extremely talented but raw. Long, has the profile of an LT but will likely take some lumps before he gets it.

Adams is the most ready of that group, he's huge, pretty refined, but he comes with significant injury concerns.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Its really sad, but we need to let some 18 million cap hit in Leno and Massie compete for the RT job and buy the other one out.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Its really sad, but we need to let some 18 million cap hit in Leno and Massie compete for the RT job and buy the other one out.
We draft a RT move massie to RG cut massie or and leno draft a first round OT next year problem solved pending if we hit on both picks.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Josh Jones, OT, Houston

Although this big Senior Bowl week likely moves him closer to late 1.

Austin Jackson
Prince TW
Matt Peart

All LT prospects that would be nice adds.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
We draft a RT move massie to RG cut massie or and leno draft a first round OT next year problem solved pending if we hit on both picks.

neither Leno or Massie is getting cut.

Both will start at tackle and they will bring a backup that can compete or draft one high that can.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Both will start at tackle and they will bring a backup that can compete or draft one high that can.

I like David Sharpe from Oakland

Has played LT and RT
6'6" 340lbs so he would add a little power.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

Has played LT and RT

if they draft an OT in round 2 they will want to get him in if Leno or Massie falter.

if there is a guy available that could be a starter they should really pull the trigger. Bears need young talent at the T position.

Last edited:

wazzupi

Liked Posts:

I'm talking about 2021 bro

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
From the Walter FB link above...thoughts on these guys or others?

Sounds good. Likely to be there in 2nd unless he tests up. Good character guy to give up football for a bit to give bone marrow to his sister. Slightly lighter but could bulk.
View attachment 4410

Adams slid after injuries. Previously seen as a top draft prospect had he come out earlier. Injury risk vs value?
View attachment 4409

Honestly I read "skill of a starting left tackle in the NFL", and chance to slide. ?‍♂️
Maybe late 2nd or after a trade down further? Assuming coaching can fine tune him:
View attachment 4408

Yeah...

typically you can't find a ready now LT in the second round. They would be drafted up the board if it was clear. The best we can hope is to sign a free agent tackle, kick Massie inside to OG, get one more year of Leno service at LT and draft a development guy like the 3 you listed. I'd be happy with any of those, but the big guy from LSU might be worth trading up for with the 2 2nds, and would give you something to go to if Leno looks bad, by mid-season.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thanks for the input guys.

I was really hoping a deeper draft at OL might allow one to drop, or boom/bust risk - although Pace would get roasted if it fails.

Agreed with all above but one thing...it would take a coaching MIRACLE for Leno to be worthy of starting.
Cap hit is already spent & unavoidable. Done. Gone. What if Leno was hit by lightning tomorrow? Have to look at it this way sadly. His play last year was THAT BAD. His contract means they won't CUT him, and he may go into camp as the starter, but it shouldn't take much to replace him & he's a backup til '21 cut (again unless miraculous improvement)

Leno is unfort. the #1 biggest need and worst performing player on this roster IMHO...have you seen the tape!!? Every. Week. No way this is unaddressed and given til mid-season. No QB or RB can function/survive much less flourish behind his terrible shit play. Sorry for the soapbox, but it's more than evident as a must solve this offseason. Status quo with Leno can't be.

I agree with your plan if solid OL doesn't slide: Draft BPA OL & bring in a vet (even if a career backup) to challenge Leno & take over if no miraculous improvement to earlier form.

Last edited:

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Has played LT and RT

If we could get David Sharpe for RT, kick Massie into RG, and then draft Adams from LSU...

damn...now thats an o-line around technicians Daniels/Whitehair.

Thats how you do this shit. You fuck people in the mouth.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Replacing Leno should be one of the top priorities, but his cap hit is too restrictive to cut so he financially has to be on the line.

None of these guys seem like Day 1 starters so Leno would still be starting.

Now, one should be drafted to develop for replacing Leno the next year but Pace won't do that. He needs the team to make the playoffs in 2020 and none of these guys can help do that.
Trey Adams is definitely a day 1 starter he just has injury issues.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
If we could get David Sharpe for RT, kick Massie into RG, and then draft Adams from LSU...

damn...now thats an o-line around technicians Daniels/Whitehair.

Thats how you do this shit. You fuck people in the mouth.

I'd be all for that.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
I think Leno will rebound. He’s shown to be way better in the past, and he’s not old yet. The entire OL played with so little confidence all year. To me that sends out scheme and coaching alarms not talent issues. Nonetheless, the Bears need more youth to start developing behind the Leno’s and Massie’s. Don’t rule out Bars being a contributor next year either.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oh yeah, Bars.

That's encouraging. Bring in a free agent and draft one high, they will likely switch to a zone scheme for Trubisky.

Nagy will be controlled in his play writing this offseason. He has been humbled.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Leno will rebound. He’s shown to be way better in the past, and he’s not old yet. The entire OL played with so little confidence all year. To me that sends out scheme and coaching alarms not talent issues. Nonetheless, the Bears need more youth to start developing behind the Leno’s and Massie’s. Don’t rule out Bars being a contributor next year either.

Lordy, I hope so.

As bad as he was in 2019, that should be plan D, of available options to fix it. He'll be around for 2020 given the sunk cost but should NOT start unless he pulls a total 180 like some Popeye-eating-spinach-type power play shit. Fundamentals, effort, everything went to total hell. I wish him best, but this problem brought the whole team down with it.