Make or Break Game For Each NFL Team in 2019

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
CBS Sports put out a list of one game for each NFL team this year that they believe will make or break that team's season. The NFC North is posted here, but please click on the LINK for the entire list.

Lions: Week 1 at Cardinals. If you open up an astronomy textbook and look up the temperature of the sun, you'll get a good idea for how hot things are going to get for Matt Patricia if the Lions lose this game. A win over Arizona won't make the Lions' season, but it sure could break it. If the Lions lose, they might not pick up their first win until October. After playing the Cardinals, the Lions play the Chargers, Eagles (away), Chiefs, Packers (away) and Vikings.

Vikings: Week 16 vs. Packers (Monday). If there's one thing Kirk Cousins has struggled with over the course of his career, it's winning in primetime and beating good teams. This game will potentially give him a chance to do both. If the Vikings are going to win, they're going to have to play better in primetime, because they were pretty horrible last season. In five games, the Vikings went 1-4, although we should probably note that their only win came against the Packers.

Packers: Week 2 vs. Vikings. The Packers have gone two straight seasons without beating the Vikings (0-3-1), which is probably eating at Aaron Rodgers. This is a big game for Green Bay because it could put them in a position to take control of the NFC North after just two weeks. If the Packers beat the Bears and Vikings to open the season, that would bode well for their playoff chances. Over the past 10 years, the Packers have started 2-0 a total of three times and they made the playoffs in all three seasons. On the other hand, the Packers have never started 0-2 since Aaron Rodgers took over the starting job in 2008.

Bears: Week 1 vs. Packers (Thursday). A loss in the opener to Green Bay didn't ruin Chicago's 2018 season, but this one feels different. This year, the Bears actually have high expectations and a loss to the Packers in the season opener would immediately have them in the NFC North cellar. This is also a big game because we'll find out if the Bears were actually able to find a kicker

...and for a bonus...the other appearance by Chicago on the list.....

Broncos: Week 2 vs. Bears. This game will mark Joe Flacco's home debut in Denver. If Flacco shows up and somehow torches the Bears defense, that would instantly change the national narrative on the Broncos. If you're wondering what the national narrative is, just ask Chris Harris. He says everyone is sleeping on the Broncos this year, AKA the media isn't giving them any respect

I know...pretty shocking three of them are division match-ups, but The North is getting fierce.

Agree?

Disagree?

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Well this year it'll be the Packers playing their first game in a new offense, so advantage Bears.

KennyH

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
It's a bit of a flawed concept because a win at Lambeau later in the season could be the thing that propels the Bears into a successful post season and would remove the pain and impact of a loss to them in the first week. Which would be written of the same way as it was last season

Early season games almost never define a season - so for the Bears, Lions and Packers to all have 'season defining' games in the first two weeks is just really poor analysis even for this type of click bait.

But in the spirit of the article I'll go with the Eagles game on the road - win that and it will pile on confidence for a hard run in to the end of the season. Lose and we could tumble to multiple loses in the last four or five games.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
When you have a no film on a guy like Rodgers, who can run anything, running something new that will obviously be to his liking, that advantage disappears. No film on what he's going to do will likely hurt our D as much as him running something new. Unlikely that the O will look uncoordinated. That said our D will not be predictable to scheme either so kind of a wash to me.
As for actually finding a kicker, extra points only in the opener.:sweep:

Last edited:

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
LOL at Bears game being Game 1. Gimme a break. I think the Packers are clearly in the Bears' rearview mirror in 2019.

I do like how Denver's is Game 2...Fangio against his old team...and is there anything more exciting about the upcoming season than a Joe Flacco home debut?

Bears make or break game is their first postseason game. If they lose, it will be disappointing regardless of their regular season success. I will definitely be surprised if the Bears don't even make the postseason.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Even the idiot who wrote that didn't believe their own bullshit lol.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
and is there anything more exciting about the upcoming season than a Joe Flacco home debut?
I'm re-staining and painting my deck this weekend weather permitting, I'd put that on the same tier.

Side note: I heard if Flacco somehow has another deep playoff run he is pretty much a lock for Canton.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
I'm re-staining and painting my deck this weekend weather permitting, I'd put that on the same tier.

Side note: I heard if Flacco somehow has another deep playoff run he is pretty much a lock for Canton.

I can't imagine if Flacco gets in and McNabb doesn't...racism charges will fly.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Within the first 2 weeks, the Bears, Packers and Lions seasons could all be broken.
It's true, and can you imagine if the NFL switches to an 18 game season and we have to suffer through an ADDITIONAL 16(+) weeks of meaningless bears football? It will be like circa 2013-2017 all over again.

Sure hope the beloved don't blow it.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
I can’t choose between the Philly and New Orleans game so I’ll just say both of them because those 2 games will definitely show us if the Bears are part of the elite in the NFC.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Our make or break game will be the NFC championship game...

CRM 114

Premium Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The make or break game of the season should be the Chiefs game. If, no, when Mahomes vastly outplays Trubisky (despite Mahomes having to face an elite defense while Trubisky plays against a cupcake defense), Trubisky will realize that he is no where near Mahomes’s level and will retire to realize his true calling of a deliverer who delivers potato chips via scooter. This will allow the Bears to get a real QB.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Have you ever heard of the phrase “those who live in glass houses should not throw stones”?

Imagine caring what the biggest joke of a poster on CCS says.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The make or break game of the season should be the Chiefs game. If, no, when Mahomes vastly outplays Trubisky (despite Mahomes having to face an elite defense while Trubisky plays against a cupcake defense), Trubisky will realize that he is no where near Mahomes’s level and will retire to realize his true calling of a deliverer who delivers potato chips via scooter. This will allow the Bears to get a real QB.
Mitch will show you that he's all that and the bag of chips.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Well that was a stupid article. The NFL hit us pretty damn hard in strength of schedule for that 12-4 season so i don't think losing our 1st game against the fucking Packers is gonna decide what our whole season will be.