Marcus Davenport, Harold Landry, and Edmunds

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Who is the best edge rusher in the 2018 NFL draft so far? A lot of people were originally upset with Bears draft Roquan Smith but he's turned out pretty well compared to the rest of the draft.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
You forgot Arden Key. He had one sack last year. None this yr, 1 tackle, 2 QB hits. He's with the Raiders, and had 21 snaps against the Bears, but I don't remember seeing him. He's certainly not thriving... yet.

Last edited:

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
You forgot Arden Key. He had one sack last year. None this yr, 1 tackle, 2 QB hits. He's with the Raiders, and had 21 snaps, but I don't remember seeing him. He's certainly not thriving... yet.

I seem to recall a certain poster here that actually created this thread was very very high on this Arden key guy.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Davenport had a great play last week. We'll see how far he's come next Sunday. RIP, Leno.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
I remember Roquan being about as uncontroversial a Bears draft pick as I’ve ever seen. Seemed to me the vast majority of Bears fans thought the pick was solid.
I was an edmunds guy. I liked his size. But Roqaun is outperforming my expectations. Hes a beast.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I had a list of people I wanted and Smith was near top of my list. Hard to remember but I believe these were the players I liked but sure I’m missing a db in there

Nelson
Smith
Barkley
Davenport
Edmunds

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
From my recollection, that draft was a debate over Quenton Nelson & Tremaine Edmunds...and random ppl who thought Chubb or Barkley was going to fall to the Bears by some miracle...lol.

I followed this board pretty close then and there wasn't much mention of Roquan until a week before the draft. Ppl were afraid he was too small and would get tossed around. Hence the nickname "Rag Doll Smith."

This is why I don't follow fan mock drafts. Fans don't create a mock draft as much as they create a wish list.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I had Davenport ahead of most guys that would fall to us.

James was the DB to consider though some like the lesser athlete Alabama safety alot.

Smith was in peoples mock drafts but just usually considered after the S/OLB glaring team need(we had no mack, e jack still puppy or drafted later?and amos in doghouse)

Smith was a NEED because we were desperate for a coverage backer who could blitz. I was aware of him and my guy Davenport was very raw, so I warmed up to idea quickly after the initial gasp as a size/speed ratio guy.

Arden Key/Edmunds were mosty being talked about at top of second round if we went with Barkley, Smith, or Adams in first and still needed olb

Last edited:

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
As much as I wanted an impact defensive player and am happy with Smith, and not that we could have gotten him anyway, but I have to hold my hands up and admit to being wrong about Quenton Nelson.

Not that I didn't think he'd be an elite guard, I did. But I was one of those who thought the 8th pick was too rich for a guard when there were so many potential impact defensive players there.

I was wrong. I didn't foresee Kyle Long being as bad as he has been, nor did I predict that Trubisky would still be clueless in this offense after another off-season to get it down.

Nelson might be the best player in the NFL right now and would do wonders for our running game, and would completely anchor the middle of that line with Whitehair and Daniels. In hindsight, that should have been the pick to hope for.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I wanted to trade down, take Davenport in the 10-12 range and get another 3rd. I remember a lot of guys here wanting Edmunds. My view on that was, if you're taking a Mike, just take Roquan. Seems like there were no bad choices in this batch.

As it turned out, we were better off with a Mike than Davenport since we acquired Mack latter that year. I so hated losing to the Raiders and having our acquired 2nd dropping in value.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I seem to recall a certain poster here that actually created this thread was very very high on this Arden key guy.
Not Aesolian. No way!

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
You forgot Arden Key. He had one sack last year. None this yr, 1 tackle, 2 QB hits. He's with the Raiders, and had 21 snaps, but I don't remember seeing him. He's certainly not thriving... yet.

I'll eat crow I'm not sure what's wrong with Key he can't finish it must be mental.

Bears_804

Liked Posts:
It was a lot of Nelson, James, Davenport, and a few that wanted Edmunds. I was one of them but wanted Nelson too. Smith was never on my radar until the week before the draft like previous poster mentioned. Seems like everyone jumped on board the days leading up to it. IIRC people wanted Key in the 2nd or 3rd if we drafted Nelson or James.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wanted to trade down, take Davenport in the 10-12 range and get another 3rd. I remember a lot of guys here wanting Edmunds. My view on that was, if you're taking a Mike, just take Roquan. Seems like there were no bad choices in this batch.

As it turned out, we were better off with a Mike than Davenport since we acquired Mack latter that year. I so hated losing to the Raiders and having our acquired 2nd dropping in value.
THIS RIGHT HERE. I wanted Davenport. I didn't understand people's fascination with Edmunds. I thought if you wanted someone like him, why not just take the best one in college in Roquan Smith. I was a huge Davenport guy though, but I thought if you were going to go with a Mike, Roquan was the best

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
THIS RIGHT HERE. I wanted Davenport. I didn't understand people's fascination with Edmunds. I thought if you wanted someone like him, why not just take the best one in college in Roquan Smith. I was a huge Davenport guy though, but I thought if you were going to go with a Mike, Roquan was the best

A lot of the hype on Edmunds at the time was that he could be converted into an edge rusher.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I remember that Indy was taking Nelson and it was well known before the draft so while we discussed him he was never really an option for the Bears

He was projected as a great player and is showing that that projection was accurate but he was never going to be a bear so it really was moot.

But he is terrific.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

A lot of the hype on Edmunds at the time was that he could be converted into an edge rusher.
That was absolutely it but why? He never showed an edge rush in college.