1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
To me, this actually makes this season even worse than it was. As soon as the decision was made to not extend Joe, he could have been let go. Putting a hand picked replacement in the dugout with him the entire year must have felt extremely uncomfortable for the players. I can see people thinking this would have been a head start, but I guess we see if there is any real turnover or just the extra starters and bullpen again, and how they react to knowing Theo really did hand pick the replacement.

I have really not read or heard anything at all about what he actually did this year.

Holy Cow

Liked Posts:
Odds are out at square Bovada. Loretta@1.4 Maddon@2.25 Ross@4.5 Giradi@5.5 DeRosa@7.5 Farrell &S.Alomar jr.@15/1

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'm okay with Loretta if Joe Giradi turns down the Cubs offer. If Theo doesn't even offer Joe G a shot at it he should be fired.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Girardi gets first call and strong offer...unless Theo is completely breaking the gang up and starting over looking for another window in a couple of years. And if that's the case, I likely won't be around the forum much. I expect to win. Hiring someone of Girardi's background indicates the Cubs want to win. Loretta? No. Ross? DeRosa? The last 2 are great guys. No managerial experience. I don't see it.

Last edited:

SilentLurker

Liked Posts:
joe g will never get an offer. theo won't give up his power to a manager ever. joe g knows how to play the game. he can win the owner over and tell the owner to get rid of theo. theo knows that and will never even offer anything to girardi.

I agree Joe should have just been let go when they didnt offer him an extension at the start of the year.

if they hire loretta then just might as well keep joe. what's loretta going to change? he's part of the same Joe no accountability clubhouse.

Ross - i think he may have said to theo no. I don't think he wants to follow joe, it looks bad in his eyes i would speculate. also i think when he retired he said he wanted to spend more time w/ the family.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
joe g will never get an offer. theo won't give up his power to a manager ever. joe g knows how to play the game. he can win the owner over and tell the owner to get rid of theo. theo knows that and will never even offer anything to girardi.

I agree Joe should have just been let go when they didnt offer him an extension at the start of the year.

if they hire loretta then just might as well keep joe. what's loretta going to change? he's part of the same Joe no accountability clubhouse.

Ross - i think he may have said to theo no. I don't think he wants to follow joe, it looks bad in his eyes i would speculate. also i think when he retired he said he wanted to spend more time w/ the family.
If Ross wants to manage this is his chance. he’s not gonna be a hot managerial candidate if he doesn’t get it now.

My initial thought is I can’t see Theo going with an unproven managerial candidate but then I remember Aaron Boone and Alex Cora both got the jobs in New York and Boston respectively and both have done terrific

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
There are downsides to everyone being named, no question.

Girardi got paid not to manage for years. He still thinks a manager should make 5 million a year minimum. That figure is not what has been mentioned anymore.

Loretta, Who hired Mark Loretta? It seemed that he was hired thru Theo. Do you want a guy involved in a worse collapse than last year even involved next year?

Ross. This is going to be the fan favorite choice, and I really believe he was too close to Maddon to take this job without Joe having a part of it. Loyalty to Maddon is a disease, and if Ross feels he is kicking Joe out and not Joe leaving, he might turn it down. I think Maddon needs to announce he is moving on, mutual decision, however they want to put it so Rossy knows he is not taking the job from him.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
There are downsides to everyone being named, no question.

Girardi got paid not to manage for years. He still thinks a manager should make 5 million a year minimum. That figure is not what has been mentioned anymore.

Loretta, Who hired Mark Loretta? It seemed that he was hired thru Theo. Do you want a guy involved in a worse collapse than last year even involved next year?

Ross. This is going to be the fan favorite choice, and I really believe he was too close to Maddon to take this job without Joe having a part of it. Loyalty to Maddon is a disease, and if Ross feels he is kicking Joe out and not Joe leaving, he might turn it down. I think Maddon needs to announce he is moving on, mutual decision, however they want to put it so Rossy knows he is not taking the job from him.

How could Ross be taking his job? Joe is becoming a free agent at the end of the year. Ross has no bearing on Joe. It is unrelated.

That said NYY did hire Boone after Girardi and went through a minor retool. Got payroll under control and replenished their farm in a quick turn around.

Now I'm not saying that this is the right choice because the Yankee's core was old and their system was dry. The Cubs have a bad system but their core is under 30 still. So I doubt that they are going into 2020 with a gut it plan like the Yankee's did in 2016.

I would go after Girardi. Then 2 Yankee F/A of his. Brett Gardner and Dellin Betances. This replaces Zo and Strop leaving.

Then take Morrow's opt out.
DFA Almora and Russell

Have Happ and Gardner lead off. Just because there is no lead off out there. Gardner is listed at LF but Heyward can move between CF and RF.

Another option here is trading Schwarber plus for Whitt. Same as above but use Gardner at LF with Happ at RF and Heyward at CF. Mix Nico at CF/2B and SS. Whitt at 2B and LF.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Cubs won't hire Girardi. You guys can cross that name off your list right now. Theo is looking for a cheap replacement who will take his cues from the front office.