Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Last year, we were good enough to win our division and get into the playoffs. HHCD says he was excited to join our team because we were a healthy Jackson away from playing in the big game. And you don't have to look very hard to see why; with Jackson our game vs the eagles is a totally different ballgame. We'd play the Rams and the saints take on Dallas, and we already defeated the Rams in the regular season.

There is the question of Dallas @ NO, but I think we would have matched up well against both teams last year, and we were a yard away from going into overtime against New England. It's hard not to say that we could have challenged to play in the Superbowl last year, and even look like we belonged instead of some fluke team.

Then the question becomes, if we were a team that had a realistic chance at the Superbowl last year, did we get better relative to the other teams, to contend again this year? I believe we improved more than our division rivals (returning most of the same team, becoming a more aggressive defense, achieving a more complimentary backfield, more growth for 10). So we're a playoff team, and in the playoffs anything can happen. We belong there just as much as any other contender.

So yeah, we have a chance to win it this year. It's not an embarrassingly low chance like Miami or Cinci, it's a real shot at a title. I don't know if I take this roster over 2006 (because with a better called game and better luck with injuries, we did have a shot there too), but damn if this isn't a team to be excited for!

msadows

Liked Posts:
Last year, we were good enough to win our division and get into the playoffs. HHCD says he was excited to join our team because we were a healthy Jackson away from playing in the big game. And you don't have to look very hard to see why; with Jackson our game vs the eagles is a totally different ballgame. We'd play the Rams and the saints take on Dallas, and we already defeated the Rams in the regular season.

There is the question of Dallas @ NO, but I think we would have matched up well against both teams last year, and we were a yard away from going into overtime against New England. It's hard not to say that we could have challenged to play in the Superbowl last year, and even look like we belonged instead of some fluke team.

Then the question becomes, if we were a team that had a realistic chance at the Superbowl last year, did we get better relative to the other teams, to contend again this year? I believe we improved more than our division rivals (returning most of the same team, becoming a more aggressive defense, achieving a more complimentary backfield, more growth for 10). So we're a playoff team, and in the playoffs anything can happen. We belong there just as much as any other contender.

So yeah, we have a chance to win it this year. It's not an embarrassingly low chance like Miami or Cinci, it's a real shot at a title. I don't know if I take this roster over 2006 (because with a better called game and better luck with injuries, we did have a shot there too), but damn if this isn't a team to be excited for!

I honestly would, 2006 the offense was not that great. Not that the bears last year was. Rex was no where near the QB mitch even was last year. Mitch was much smarter with the ball. WR/TE is better too. Only real big advantage 06 had on the 2018 bears was oline. The defenses are comparable, imo, DVOA proves that. 2018's defense was actually better according to dvoa than 2006.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I honestly would, 2006 the offense was not that great. Not that the bears last year was. Rex was no where near the QB mitch even was last year. Mitch was much smarter with the ball. WR/TE is better too. Only real big advantage 06 had on the 2018 bears was oline. The defenses are comparable, imo, DVOA proves that. 2018's defense was actually better according to dvoa than 2006.
Yet the Bears were a pretty damn good running team... which made the offense work with that great defense.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I was comparing the old squad playing that Indy team to the current team playing a modern squad, really. Because you're not wrong, this team has a lot more talent in several more places, and we aren't even screwed at ILB without a HOFer manning the middle.

But if we think back how close we were to a title in 06, if we're comparing the teams as I was, not to each other but the teams they'd face... A healthy Mike Brown or Tommie Harris and Wayne doesn't get that early open TD. A Benson who doesn't fumble while getting hurt and Freeney doesn't set up their second score, and we have our two headed monster. If Grossman actually tries to pass to Clark before the fourth quarter and maybe we put together better drives.

Change just one of those things, and Peyton Manning might not get that ring. We were so close. That's what I wanted to bring in when comparing these squads, can this team top '06?

Yes, it can, and it's not a big stretch that we improve on last year and make a playoff run. I just didn't want to compare these bears squads as if they're playing each other, or imagining either team affected by a different set of rules.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Surprising coming from him. He always would pick against the Bears last year.

Honestly I think that Rams game woke up the last of the haters. That high-flying Rams team that had been racking up points all season got their shit *shut down* when they came to Soldier Field. I think the entire NFC was happy that the Eagles knocked the Bears out of the playoffs, because no-one wanted to play them.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So we're fucked.

Thx Hassledick
DYmZxPPVQAEcf91.jpg

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Ok then we go QB in the draft, that should get a top five pick
Not that they're going 2-14.... but you mean the Raiders would get a top 5 pick. Bears don't get one next year.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I'm really not interested in any of the predictions/ranking/opinion of the Media in general....

Bears_804

Liked Posts:
Honestly I think that Rams game woke up the last of the haters. That high-flying Rams team that had been racking up points all season got their shit *shut down* when they came to Soldier Field. I think the entire NFC was happy that the Eagles knocked the Bears out of the playoffs, because no-one wanted to play them.
I've always wondered what that game would have looked like if Cooper C. was healthy. When he went down it took a major dimension away from their O.