Matt Hasselbeck on Bears

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
...and Dave Toub

Word.

Toub is a perfect example of the phrase "you don't know what you got till it's gone". My favorite Hester moment was not even a proper kick return. It was the missed field goal he caught and then just casually started walking out of the end zone with it like he is just gonna toss it to the ref....then POOF!

Gone.

You know that moment probably still brings a tear of pride to Dave Toub's eye.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Word.

Toub is a perfect example of the phrase "you don't know what you got till it's gone". My favorite Hester moment was not even a proper kick return. It was the missed field goal he caught and then just casually started walking out of the end zone with it like he is just gonna toss it to the ref....then POOF!

Gone.

You know that moment probably still brings a tear of pride to Dave Toub's eye.
It does to every American wearing orange and blue. It is my third favorite Hester memory.

#1 is seeing him return one in person on my birthday. Personal memories of my dad and I enjoying an icy game against New Orleans put this one over the top for me. I'm pretty sure they stopped punting because the ball was too cold and Hester was too good. Maybe that's just what my dad and I were saying to taunt Saints fans.
#2 is the return against Arizona.
#3 is the field goal.
#4 is his first one in the shut out of Green Bay.
#5 is the Superbowl
#6 is the kickoff return right after he gave a TD to Tory Holt.

It's crazy that 5 of those six are from his rookie year. I guess that's what happens when you have no idea what special looks like. I am still force feeding myself crow for doubting Hester when we drafted him.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
The 06 Bears were significantly better.

This team is significamtly better... a more compkete and balanced team by far. Every layer of this defense has probowl calibur players. Not one defensive player is a weak lonk or hasn't proven they belong in the NFL.

The offense doesn't rely on defense and ST to get points. Could you even call that an offense. You had 2 QBs rotating because week to week the offense blew. If not for Hester and the defense you probably couldnt plug that offense into any defense that year and win 4 games.

You could easily win 6 games with this offense with the majority of defenses in the league. Cordarrelle Paterson is the best return man since Hester IMHO. So that could be a close call...

Khalil Mack is the most well rounded player in football on the defensive side. He's a franchise changing player. He's Peyton Manning goes to Denver, Montana goes to KC, that type of impact

Bearshomer

Liked Posts:
This team is significamtly better... a more compkete and balanced team by far. Every layer of this defense has probowl calibur players. Not one defensive player is a weak lonk or hasn't proven they belong in the NFL.

The offense doesn't rely on defense and ST to get points. Could you even call that an offense. You had 2 QBs rotating because week to week the offense blew. If not for Hester and the defense you probably couldnt plug that offense into any defense that year and win 4 games.

You could easily win 6 games with this offense with the majority of defenses in the league. Cordarrelle Paterson is the best return man since Hester IMHO. So that could be a close call...

Khalil Mack is the most well rounded player in football on the defensive side. He's a franchise changing player. He's Peyton Manning goes to Denver, Montana goes to KC, that type of impact
Your comparing an eight win team to a thirteen win team that made it to the SB and saying the the eight win team is better.

Ok.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Im comparing this years teams potential to 06's. So you think the 06 team would beat this team?

The offense wouldnt get a first down against this defense.

DavidH

Liked Posts:

I don't disagree that this year's team might be better than the 06 team (and is definitely more well rounded), but, for the sake of clarity, there weren't two QBs rotating in 06. Grossman started every game, including the meaningless and infamous, "Well, it was NYE" game.

Oh, and while Patterson is a great KR, KR aren't really a thing anymore. Hester's punt and kick returns were huge for the 06 team.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
I don't disagree that this year's team might be better than the 06 team (and is definitely more well rounded), but, for the sake of clarity, there weren't two QBs rotating in 06. Grossman started every game, including the meaningless and infamous, "Well, it was NYE" game.

Oh, and while Patterson is a great KR, KR aren't really a thing anymore. Hester's punt and kick returns were huge for the 06 team.

I disagree, they are totally relevant. They are less impactful on kickoffs certainly. The thing is, only elite defenses can utilize them. You can't kick for a touchback from your own 5,10 or 15 yard line. You have to punt it deep and pray coverage takes the right angle. Thats a halfmeasure or irrelivant at or between the 40s.

I remember seeing Ortman play multiple games. But it might have been because Grossman just played like shit so often. I cant remember.

Either way, this team never lets him drop back and hit Berrian, thos defense never guves up a big play to Benson and Jones, and it certainly never gives up the field position to worry about Gould. Peanut punch, Urlacher, Briggs Tommie were all great. This defense just doesnt have a weak spot and with Mack on the end I give this defense the edge.

doctorbear

Liked Posts:
I disagree, they are totally relevant. They are less impactful on kickoffs certainly. The thing is, only elite defenses can utilize them. You can't kick for a touchback from your own 5,10 or 15 yard line. You have to punt it deep and pray coverage takes the right angle. Thats a halfmeasure or irrelivant at or between the 40s.

I remember seeing Ortman play multiple games. But it might have been because Grossman just played like shit so often. I cant remember.

Either way, this team never lets him drop back and hit Berrian, thos defense never guves up a big play to Benson and Jones, and it certainly never gives up the field position to worry about Gould. Peanut punch, Urlacher, Briggs Tommie were all great. This defense just doesnt have a weak spot and with Mack on the end I give this defense the edge.
WTF are you talking about 2 QB's rotating? How old are you? Did you even watch that team?

2006 is better because they made the superbowl and the QB at the time could hit open receivers.

DavidH

Liked Posts:

Orton didn't play a single snap in 06. Not even in garbage time.

And PR are not KR. They're two different things. I specifically said KR aren't really a thing. Cohen is the PR , not Patterson, and yeah, he's very good. But he's not 2006 Devin Hester or anywhere near the same galaxy.

Last edited:

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
WTF are you talking about 2 QB's rotating? How old are you? Did you even watch that team?

2006 is better because they made the superbowl and the QB at the time could hit open receivers.
You are putting the sex cannon on a pedestal.

He barely had over a 50% completion percentage that year.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
There was definitely a controversy, "Good rex bad rex" you're arguing is trivial. Now stfu. The reality is the guy was out of town quickly after the defense declined and he never truly was a starter quality player without an elite defense. A one trick pony.

I love how old people bring up how old people are. Im old enough to slap some respect into you for getting a tone like that.

Tostada

Liked Posts:
The dumb shot continues, I'll check back in Sept

doctorbear

Liked Posts:
There was definitely a controversy, "Good rex bad rex" you're arguing is trivial. Now stfu. The reality is the guy was out of town quickly after the defense declined and he never truly was a starter quality player without an elite defense. A one trick pony.

I love how old people bring up how old people are. Im old enough to slap some respect into you for getting a tone like that.
You didn’t even watch 2006. You clearly thought there were two QBs playing. There was no question, ever, who was the starter that year. They made it to the Super Bowl and dominated in the playoffs. Go watch highlights at least.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Lol youre too funny...

Next thing ya know you'll be talkkng shit because someone doesn't know when Walters Birthday is. All trivial to the argument which is, thar 06 isnt as good as 19. And mostly becsyse the QB and Backup were controversial.

Last edited:

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
You didn’t even watch 2006. You clearly thought there were two QBs playing. There was no question, ever, who was the starter that year. They made it to the Super Bowl and dominated in the playoffs. Go watch highlights at least.
If I recall, the only "controversy" then was about fickle bears fans clamoring for Griese to play in the playoffs because Grossman was too mercurial.