Mike Davis: The Return of Glennon

jive

Liked Posts:
Once again, Pace dropped a proven and productive player for little or nothing in order to pay more for a lesser player with little track record.
Cutler was no superstar, but he was miles ahead of Glennon in terms of talent. Glennon had never shown to be a good QB in his career, and yet he got paid more than Cutler only to stink it up worse than Jay ever did. And the rub was that Pace was planning on selling the farm to make sure he got the QB he wanted in the draft anyway.

History repeats itself with Howard. Howard was a productive running back for his entire career, and yet he was traded for a mere 6th round pick. He had a very affordable contract, but Pace decided to pay a career backup more money. And once again, he traded draft capital to move up to get his guy. There was plenty of mid-round RB talent this year, but Pace still felt he needed to hedge his bets with Davis. Now, while Howard is helping his team that runs a similar offense win, Mike Davis rides the pine. At this point, Davis is worth more if he's cut from the team so that they have a better chance at getting a compensatory pick. Maybe give Nall or Whyte some reps to develop, since at this point they barely have less playing time than Davis does.

I still like Pace, and think he has done some positive things. However, he needs to quit hedging his draft bets by signing overpriced and unproven free agents over proven guys that are already on your roster that are cheaper. If you're gonna trade up to get your guy anyway, then why bother wasting roster and cap space on another team's cast-off? I think Pace can and does learn from his mistakes, so I hope he quits this foolishness.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Hate to break it to you numbnuts, but the way this O-line is playing Howard wouldn't be doing shit here.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
If you're going to do one of these threads at least get the facts right:
  • Cutler was making more than Glennon was signed for (+3.1 mil/year average).
  • Howard is making more this year than Davis, and will have to be retained for more than Davis will make next year (if they keep him around).
Now, was picking up Davis a waste? Sure, but you're also acting as though there was a guarantee they were going to get Montgomery or a "similarly ranked" (by the scouts) RB in the draft. There are no guarantees in the draft. Pretty much the same thing with Glennon: they were ready to cut-bait from Cutler and wanted a filler in case the draft didn't shape up the way they wanted/planned on sitting the draftee.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Davis was signed before the draft and is not expensive. Gotta have a guy in case the draft doesn't go well. Monty would be the lead back here if Howard was still a Bear.
Nothing to see here.

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
Once again, Pace dropped a proven and productive player for little or nothing in order to pay more for a lesser player with little track record.
Cutler was no superstar, but he was miles ahead of Glennon in terms of talent. Glennon had never shown to be a good QB in his career, and yet he got paid more than Cutler only to stink it up worse than Jay ever did. And the rub was that Pace was planning on selling the farm to make sure he got the QB he wanted in the draft anyway.

History repeats itself with Howard. Howard was a productive running back for his entire career, and yet he was traded for a mere 6th round pick. He had a very affordable contract, but Pace decided to pay a career backup more money. And once again, he traded draft capital to move up to get his guy. There was plenty of mid-round RB talent this year, but Pace still felt he needed to hedge his bets with Davis. Now, while Howard is helping his team that runs a similar offense win, Mike Davis rides the pine. At this point, Davis is worth more if he's cut from the team so that they have a better chance at getting a compensatory pick. Maybe give Nall or Whyte some reps to develop, since at this point they barely have less playing time than Davis does.

I still like Pace, and think he has done some positive things. However, he needs to quit hedging his draft bets by signing overpriced and unproven free agents over proven guys that are already on your roster that are cheaper. If you're gonna trade up to get your guy anyway, then why bother wasting roster and cap space on another team's cast-off? I think Pace can and does learn from his mistakes, so I hope he quits this foolishness.

Brilliant post, lol I have used this same exact example as Pace’s lack of offensive talent scouting abilities.

anyone in their right mind knew glennon was horrible and pace not only signed him, he paid him 18mil.

davis is ok but in today’s league why pay a guy that is most likely going to be average and can be covered by the play of one of our undrafted free agents?

BBBF

Liked Posts:
There is some value in having a known quantity. A veteran that can step in on day one and be counted on to pick up the blitz. A veteran can help show the rookie how to be a professional RB. There is Cohen, but maybe the Bears don't think he is good st that or that Cohen has his hands full playing RB/WR/PR. Whatever the reason, Davis' contract isn't in the same ballpark as Glennon.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
Well Davis was signed pre-draft so it's hard to fault Pace for signing him and then having an opportunity to find a long-term back in Montgomery and then argue Pace should have known that would happen. Also, Davis provides depth for injury or a rookie struggling to pickup the offense so when neither thing happens, it looks a lot worse than it was.

He's likely to be cut next year to save money so not sure what the issue with this signing was. And opining for Jordan Howard, who runs very infrequently behind one of the better OL + QB combos in football is strange to me.

The reason the Glennon comparison makes no sense is that the opportunity cost of a Glennon signing is significantly higher than the cost of the Davis one. While they may be similar in theory (which I'd argue they aren't), the actual impact of the signings are drastically different.

Instead of signing Glennon, maybe you just drastically overpay for either AJ Bouye or Stephon Gilmore as a lead corner.

2019 cap hits
Bouye - 15,406,250 (on a team that mangled it's cap)
Prince - 9,500,000
Gilmore - 9,170,833

What would you have realistically done with $1.5 M (his $2M cap hit means that even if you replaced with a UDFA, you'd still net only about $1.5M)?

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
I would be ecstatic if I was Davis. Collect an easy 2 million for doing nothing, get cut, sign with another team next year and didn’t even have to put any miles on my body. That’s like hitting the lottery for the average fan.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Pace did not drop Cutler in favor of Glennon.

he dropped Cutler because Cutler had to go and the Cutler era had to end if the Bears were going to ever go anywhere. That was not a mistake.

Glennon was a one-year patch job to not expose the rookie quarterback too soon. there was absolutely nothing wrong with that strategy as that season was not one where the Bears were contending anyway.

Pace didn’t think Glennon and was gonna lead them to the Super Bowl. He just wanted a vet to bridge the time until the rookie was ready to play so as not to expose him to soon

why are people so unable to understand that?

Some people are just so hell bent on criticizing management at all times that they cannot see the obvious.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
The Howard trade was straight garbage

but Davis 1.5 mil doesn’t compute to glennon 18 mil

pace does Special person shit but it’s not like he gave this bum a big deal like he has other bums

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I think this is wrong on many fronts.

Free agency happens first.. not the draft. So you patch your needs in free agency in case the draft doesn't fall how you want.

You cannot criticize a GM for signing free agents to cover positions that may not get filled how you want in the draft.

On Howard, he wasn't a scheme fit. He is not a good receiver. It was the last year of Howard's deal and they weren't going to resign him. They did him a favor by trading him so he could audition with another team before his free agent year.

Player friendly moves like that get heard around the league. That the front office does the right things with respect to their players.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am also sick of hearing what an abortion Mike Glennon was at QB.

He was one Jordan Howard drop away from a 1:1 TD/INT ratio and a .500 record when they benched him. Glennon's stats spread out over 16 games would have blown Trubisky's 2017 out of the water as well. They should have just stayed by the plan and let Glennon keep playing, but John Fox despises turnovers...so down goes the giraffe.

So they throw in the rookie with the impression that if you don't take care of the football...you are benched. It's almost as if the benching of Mike Glennon literally ruined Mitchell Trubisky.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Actually Glennon played pretty well when he started for the Bucs. He wasn't nothing great but he wasn't bad either.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Jordan Howard is a proper north south running back. He doesn't do the constant lateral nonsense that Nagy is obsessed with. He only gets forward yards. We have Cohen for the sideways yards Nagy prefers.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Davis is a capable RB. Not sure why you're bitching about him. It seems obvious that they wanted to draft their own guy, and Davis makes for a good plan B.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There has to be a neck joke here, has to be!

You guys are slipping

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:
Brilliant post, lol I have used this same exact example as Pace’s lack of offensive talent scouting abilities.

anyone in their right mind knew glennon was horrible and pace not only signed him, he paid him 18mil.

davis is ok but in today’s league why pay a guy that is most likely going to be average and can be covered by the play of one of our undrafted free agents?

Pace has failed at building an offense in Chicago, starting w the QB blunders. Smh