Mike Mangini

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My drummer friend and fellow fan of Dream Theater called me and told me to look up some of Mangini's stuff on youtube.

HO - LY SHIT!!!!

I can certainly see why he got the job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe8XKgOuNtk

edit: 1138 beats in 60 seconds!!!!!!!

I was saddened by the departure of Mike Portnoy. I've been lucky enough to meet him and can say that he is a genuinely good guy. He is also a friend of a friend. I wish him the best of luck with his new musical adventures and I will likely be a fan of some. (much like the beloved Liquid Tension Experiment and Transatlantic projects)

However, I do not think I will miss him too much in Dream Theater. I'm am sure his bandmates and friends will miss him in that capacity, but my anticipation about Mangini's work overcomes it from my point of view. I think he is more technically skilled than Mr. Portnoy perhaps. I am curious to hear his influence on the songwriting. I think all he did for upcoming album is lay down drum tracks though.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed to be able to meet him next tour. I would like to thank him for his hard work and get some liner notes signed.

roshinaya

fnord
Donator
Liked Posts:
A sport drummer to play for DT? No surprise there. I always found Portnoy playing to be more technique, lacking any feel and groove and this dude doesn't seem to be much different. Maybe it's the drum sound that makes me think like this and the overall instrument wankery of DT.

jakobeast

Liked Posts:
The mention of either Portnoy or Mangini's name make me want to throw out my drums. And guitars for that matter.

Ymono37

Liked Posts:
I don't understand the comment?

That Portnoy and Magini are so good that even as a guitarist I want to throw my instruments out when I hear them... because I know I'll never be that good as a musician.

My god, are you stupid.
<

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
That Portnoy and Magini are so good that even as a guitarist I want to throw my instruments out when I hear them... because I know I'll never be that good as a musician.

My god, are you stupid.
<

That's what I figured, but not being a musician I didn't want to make any assumptions. And yes, I am stupid.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
!!!!!

YES!!!!!

October 2nd, Rosemont Theatre.

I am likely to be found at the map room that afternoon before the show.

11th Dream Theater show for me. 3rd or 4th at least at same venue. (same place I was lucky enough to meet them (all but John P.) twice.

Got to see Portnoy sign a couple pairs of tits in 2002.

When the hell did music release date change from Tuesday to Monday?

9-12 for Dream Theater

9-19 for Pink Floyd giant re-release.

(I have deal with my boss, he is gonna end up going and buying new DT album after he gets off and bringing it me at work so I can rock the shit out of it.)

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I would still put Gene Hoglan up against him...

Still, i could never get too much into Dream Theater...I think it's because their frontman sounds too much like REO Speedwagon.

jakobeast

Liked Posts:
I would still put Gene Hoglan up against him...

Still, i could never get too much into Dream Theater...I think it's because their frontman sounds too much like REO Speedwagon.

Gene Hoglan is God.

Lemmy=God

Gene=God of Metal Drums.

Too bad he is a Habs fan. Hoglans drums are so his. You can listen to any metal song out there, and you can pick out his drumming like that. I mean c'mon!

And, one of the nicest, funny metal guys out there.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
!!!!!

YES!!!!!

October 2nd, Rosemont Theatre.

I am likely to be found at the map room that afternoon before the show.

11th Dream Theater show for me. 3rd or 4th at least at same venue. (same place I was lucky enough to meet them (all but John P.) twice.

Got to see Portnoy sign a couple pairs of tits in 2002.

When the hell did music release date change from Tuesday to Monday?

9-12 for Dream Theater

9-19 for Pink Floyd giant re-release.

(I have deal with my boss, he is gonna end up going and buying new DT album after he gets off and bringing it me at work so I can rock the shit out of it.)

Well that didn't work out. He couldn't get it on release day and I already had it anyway.

Oh well.

Now he's getting my ticket for the show instead! Says he's getting seats in 1st 10 rows on Petrucci's side. (I personally prefer to sit over by Rudess, I think I've ended up over near Petrucci for 7 or 8 of the 10 shows I've been to.

I don't really give a fuck. The bottom line is I am going to another free Dream Theater show! One on Jordan Rudess (thanks to friend), one on boss. Boss also gave me a Rush ticket years ago.

This is fucking badass!

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Gene Hoglan is God.

Lemmy=God

Gene=God of Metal Drums.

Too bad he is a Habs fan. Hoglans drums are so his. You can listen to any metal song out there, and you can pick out his drumming like that. I mean c'mon!

And, one of the nicest, funny metal guys out there.

Definitly agreed. I did meet Hoglan at a SYL concert (and to boot, Devin Townsend and in fact, all of the SYL guys are completely awesome).

jakobeast

Liked Posts:
Definitly agreed. I did meet Hoglan at a SYL concert (and to boot, Devin Townsend and in fact, all of the SYL guys are completely awesome).

I am sad Townsend doesn't have the skullet anymore.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am all set for the show.

Have my $10 amtrak ticket and ride to station (amtrak doesn't go through my town anymore, grrr!).

I will get to city, get my CTA pass, and go start drinking most likely.

Meet boss in Rosemont later to get my ticket (and all the other shit he got me in the deluxe pack or whatever), ride back with boss (and other friends) while they smoke up all of my, uh, cigarettes.

Capital Brewing - Autumnal Fire doppelbock on tap at Map Room.

I will have to try it out.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
For some reason every time I see this thread I instantly picture Eric Mangini.