Mitch the silent assassin

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Do I think he deserves it? Fuck no. But will he get in? Definitely.
I feel the same way.

I don't think he deserves it, but because of the change in the passing game, he is Top 10 all time in passing yards and has the two Super Bowl wins and MVPs.

I think he gets in easily, I am sorry to say.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I’m not arguing they won those 6 SBs on the strength of the Offense alone, but it was certainly due to the offense and having Tom Brady more than the defense. And that’s not to say the patriots had bad D but they wouldn’t have gotten close to 6 SBs without Brady and a historically great Offense.
That's because you need both (as a general rule)

I think what @TL1961 is saying is you can win a SB with both a good to great D and a good to great QB (obviously), and you can win a SB with a great D and a bad QB, but you can't really win SBs with a bad D and a great QB alone.

Obviously there's outliers, but that's why they're outliers. But a general rule of thumb is you need a good D for sure, that's the statistical norm.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
That's because you need both (as a general rule)

I think what @TL1961 is saying is you can win a SB with both a good to great D and a good to great QB (obviously), and you can win a SB with a great D and a bad QB, but you can't really win SBs with a bad D and a great QB alone.

Obviously there's outliers, but that's why they're outliers. But a general rule of thumb is you need a good D for sure, that's the statistical norm.
I was replying to a post by spartan who said “defense wins championships”. Notice he made no mention of the offense at all and said “championships” in the plural form. I brought up the packers and patriots because in the Packers case they have had 2 back to back HOF QBs and 2 SBs. The Patriots have the best QB ever and have 6. For comparisons the 85 Bears won one Super Bowl. The great 2000 Ravens defense only won one Super Bowl. Great offenses win more SBs than great defenses, especially recently.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Defense does not win championships anymore. That’s why the Bears have one Super Bowl and the packers have 4. That’s why the patriots have 6 and the Ravens have 2. I could go on and on and on. It’s just simply not true anymore.
You are able to say that cause you have no clue. Even look at the Patriots, in all those post seasons in which they won SBs, you'll find their defense was ranked very near the top as far as points allowed per game. In most of those seasons they were ranked #1 or #2. Talked about the Giants being #1 in both their SB years. Last time Packers won, their QB got all the credit while their D ranked 2nd in the post season. Eagles needed more than Foles, #3 D. Broncos, Seahawks, Steelers, Bucs all brought the D. Yes, defense wins championships the overwhelming majority of the time.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I’m not arguing they won those 6 SBs on the strength of the Offense alone, but it was certainly due to the offense and having Tom Brady more than the defense. And that’s not to say the patriots had bad D but they wouldn’t have gotten close to 6 SBs without Brady and a historically great Offense.
Go back and watch them play the rams in 2001, for example. They won with D.
The only one they won with the D not doing it was vs Atlanta - and the D shut Atlanta out for most of the second half after Atlanta scored a bunch early.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I was replying to a post by spartan who said “defense wins championships”. Notice he made no mention of the offense at all and said “championships” in the plural form. I brought up the packers and patriots because in the Packers case they have had 2 back to back HOF QBs and 2 SBs. The Patriots have the best QB ever and have 6. For comparisons the 85 Bears won one Super Bowl. The great 2000 Ravens defense only won one Super Bowl. Great offenses win more SBs than great defenses, especially recently.
You're missing the point, for the most part those great offenses won when they were paired with a good defense. You don't really see good offenses 'carrying' bad defences to a championship, but the inverse happens at a pretty substantial clip.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I FUCKING HATE YOU, TRUBISKY, CCS POSTERS, DA BEARS AND EVERYBODY WHO HAS A OPINION!!!!!
Why do you got so much hate in your blood?

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
It's rather obviously a subjective stat and I think everybody but you knows that. Eli Manning never won a single SB on his own.

2008 superbowl XLII
Eli throws TD to Burress :35 left to go

super bowl XLVI in 2012

Eli & crew drives to score 21 to Patriots 17, :59 left in game

That's TWICE Eli won.
ELI drove his fucking team down field like a clutch QB and won, SO TELL ME, wtf are you talking bout?

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I feel the same way.

I don't think he deserves it, but because of the change in the passing game, he is Top 10 all time in passing yards and has the two Super Bowl wins and MVPs.

I think he gets in easily, I am sorry to say.
Eli will get in...because simply put.... he's a "YES boy" a good ole little boy.
Also, They'll say that he prevented PATS & CO from winning plus 2. That many thought that the PATS would win those two games. Along with the two winning Clutch drives in both superbowls that Spartan has no damn clue about...

Last edited:

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Do I think he deserves it? Fuck no. But will he get in? Definitely.
Baffler, we are in agreement here. Eli and his sped numbers dont matter as he robot walks into the hall becuase of 2 SBs. Book it bitches!

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
The Giants won 2 SBs with an average QB the same as many other teams have. Stop being a stupid bitch about it.
Oh really? Please list the other teams to win multiple SB's with the same average QB.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Sigh. Here I find myself on an otherwise lovely Friday morning needing to agree with @Spartan . Eli isn't going into the HOF. Why are you doing this to me @WestCoastBearsFan ?
Him being a shoe-in deserving of and him making the HOF are two different things. I don't see how a 2X SB winner, one of 12 all time, that is also 7th all time in passing yards, 8th all time in passing TD, 6th in attempts and completions gets excluded. He was a significant factor in the sport for a very long time and his name recognition doesn't hurt.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Didn’t we discuss this in another thread and already come to the conclusion that Eli is going to get in

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Him being a shoe-in deserving of and him making the HOF are two different things. I don't see how a 2X SB winner, one of 12 all time, that is also 7th all time in passing yards, 8th all time in passing TD, 6th in attempts and completions gets excluded. He was a significant factor in the sport for a very long time and his name recognition doesn't hurt.
I could see it happening for the reasons you stated, but I personally don't think it will.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
2008 superbowl XLII
Eli throws TD to Burress :35 left to go

super bowl XLVI in 2012

Eli & crew drives to score 21 to Patriots 17, :59 left in game

That's TWICE Eli won.
ELI drove his fucking team down field like a clutch QB and won, SO TELL ME, wtf are you talking bout?

giphy.gif
Talking about a bitch who dragged his team down for 13 of his 15 years of playing. Then when they take him on a magic carpet ride stupid, ignorant fans act like he didn't suck all that time.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Talking about a bitch who dragged his team down for 13 of his 15 years of playing. Then when they take him on a magic carpet ride stupid, ignorant fans act like he didn't suck all that time.
You forgot the “future hall of famer” part before “bitch”