MLB Playoffs IGT

Castor76

Liked Posts:
So, WAR is a useless stat? Righhhhttt. Also, did you read the whole article? Only the Nats were worse going into this years playoffs.

The rest of your post is just deflection of the Dodgers bullpen is not good in high pressure situations. Want to know how I know? They went into the playoffs expecting to use starting pitchers out of it. Doesnt that scream shutdown bullpen and myth? I guess to the whole Dodgers organization it does not.

It isnt myth. Dodgers bullpen has been bad all year in high leverage situations. Any body can pitch with a 6 run lead. You fail to recognize that.

WAR is a shit stat. It's an ever changing formula that doesn't define how a player is good.

A team doesn't have 73 save situations in a season and not figure out how to handle a few high pressure ones. And those don't come with 6 run leads. Every team uses a starter from the pen in the playoffs.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Remember back when they were trying to sign Darvish and everyone with me was saying, man, he cant pitch in the playoff pressure, why do we want him, we know Jake can. Now before we go all Jake sucked, the egomaniacs clearly do not like being told they are not wanted. We dont know how long Jake was injured either.

I'm not sure what you mean here but.

Jake was losing velocity. His fastball avg 95 in 2015 and his cutter was coming in at 89.

2016 he regressed but proved that he is a big game pitcher in the play offs

2017 his fast ball regressed to 92 and everything dropped by 3 MPH.

everything said and done Theo offered him the contract first and he turned him down. Then Theo gave it to Yu.

So Jake chose to move on. Theo did not choose Yu over Jake.

Looking at it as a contract value.

Yu came in and got injured and really didn't get it sorted out until this July.

But he looks better than he has been in the past and his velocity is mid 90's with 8 pitches in his command. And command is a key phrase with 118 SO/7BB over a 3 month span.

Jake hit the DL after regression. I'm not going to say 1 is related to the other but losing volicity is always a issue when looking at term contract.

Over all the right choice was made. Enough said.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
WAR is a shit stat. It's an ever changing formula that doesn't define how a player is good.

A team doesn't have 73 save situations in a season and not figure out how to handle a few high pressure ones. And those don't come with 6 run leads. Every team uses a starter from the pen in the playoffs.
It isn’t an ever changing stat. It has a set formula. It’s like all metrics. The whole dodgers org had this plan going into the playoffs not just Roberts

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Based off of the numbers yes.

Yu was 4-4 over that span. Most of those guys had better teams to support them with worse numbers. And had a .800 winning % based off of team support.

The 2nd half is where Yu put it together and that should be the standard we judge him by now.

By the numbers he is the 4th best starter in the NL right now.

That is ace quality.

So fix the core problem first.

D AND run support.

Which really comes down to a every day CF and lead off

The Martte situation with Pitt might be a interesting trade scenerio. That team makes weird trades all of the time. Marte put up .295/.342/.503.

Marte CF
Bryant 3B
Rizzo 1B
Baez SS
Schwarber LF
Contreras C
Heyward RF
Nico 2B

Send Happ and some prospects in return. They are looking for control and savings here.

After that they would have to decide on Q. 10.5M opt for a pitcher that struggled in Sept. He is not play off quality.

So the most likely scenerio is they toss Alozay out as the 5 and keep a innings limit. Trade deadline if they are in it then trade for a replacement and limit him more. Out of it Mills.

Boring but with what Theo said: we need to get younger it really points to self development in 2020.

Taking Darvish over Buehler, Ryu, Kershaw, and Strasburg is just crazy talk man. Absolute insanity.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
His 1st half was that bad.

2nd half 4-4 2.76 ERA 7 BB 118 SO .81 WHIP

only deGromm and Flaherity had stronger numbers.

The only reason why you are shaming him is due to a bad team support system and bias.

Bulhler and Shaw had the best O supporting them
Stras is on the same tier as Yu but again better team support.

Again fix the underlining issue. Adding Cole will cost 35M per and is not fixing the team issues. It takes away resources than need to go that direction.

So get over your hate.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
His 1st half was that bad.

2nd half 4-4 2.76 ERA 7 BB 118 SO .81 WHIP

only deGromm and Flaherity had stronger numbers.

The only reason why you are shaming him is due to a bad team support system and bias.

Bulhler and Shaw had the best O supporting them
Stras is on the same tier as Yu but again better team support.

Again fix the underlining issue. Adding Cole will cost 35M per and is not fixing the team issues. It takes away resources than need to go that direction.

So get over your hate.

You can cherry pick all the stats you want which is what you're doing by only focusing on the 2H. What an awful sample size.

No GM in the league would take Darvish over Buehler, Ryu, Kershaw, and Strasburg. Only one of those you might argue is Ryu. The rest, not a damn chance.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
You can cherry pick all the stats you want which is what you're doing by only focusing on the 2H. What an awful sample size.

No GM in the league would take Darvish over Buehler, Ryu, Kershaw, and Strasburg. Only one of those you might argue is Ryu. The rest, not a damn chance.

Not really.

1st half Yu was off. 5.01 ERA. 1.34 WHIP
2nd half 2.76 ERA .86 WHIP.

If it was a game or 2 that he dominated then went back to shit then I get it. But it was sustained after he made his changes.

So I really don't get what your deal is with him. Did you great gandpappy get shot down in WWII?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Not to mention Kershaw is on the downturn. Fastball clocks in at 91 now.

Buhler IMO is a ace quality arm and still has room to grow. But he doesn't have Yu's SO/9

But you add a more consistent O and less crappy D and a BP that doesn't give away games his record would have been better.

4-4 in 13 starts. So 7 of his starts were taken out of his hands by other factors. Part of it was Joe pulling his starters early. Another part was a pen that gave up leads.

Last edited:

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Not really.

1st half Yu was off. 5.01 ERA. 1.34 WHIP
2nd half 2.76 ERA .86 WHIP.

If it was a game or 2 that he dominated then went back to shit then I get it. But it was sustained after he made his changes.

So I really don't get what your deal is with him. Did you great gandpappy get shot down in WWII?

My deal with him is he's a straight up pussy. Injured in 2018. Injured again in 2019. Pitched like shit in the 1H. Was good in the 2H. And you seem to be focusing on the 2H rather than all his other problems.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
My deal with him is he's a straight up pussy. Injured in 2018. Injured again in 2019. Pitched like shit in the 1H. Was good in the 2H. And you seem to be focusing on the 2H rather than all his other problems.

Any person who has the balls to pitch in front of 30K people have more balls than you do.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Just to recap

Yu Darvish is the 4th best pitcher in the NL and better than Strasburg, Buehler, etc?

Pit would likely take ian happ and a prospect for starling marte?

Man I love message board GM's

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Just to recap

Yu Darvish is the 4th best pitcher in the NL and better than Strasburg, Buehler, etc?

Yu over Buehler, Kershaw, Strasburg is just straight up laughable.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Yu over Buehler, Kershaw, Strasburg is just straight up laughable.
Yeah taking him over Buehler and Strasburg is outrageous. I probably would be fine with him over Kershaw at this point in his career though. Yu has better stuff and can more similarly if not more dominant in the regular season. They both choke in the playoffs.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Just to recap

Said prospects not singular. I doubt that they would take Almora or Russell. But Happ, Abbot, and Ademan then it is getting into a trade.

That is what they are buying

20:$11.5M club option ($2M buyout), 21:$12.5M club option ($1M buyout)

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Yeah taking him over Buehler and Strasburg is outrageous. I probably would be fine with him over Kershaw at this point in his career though. Yu has better stuff and can more similarly if not more dominant in the regular season. They both choke in the playoffs.

1st half Yu sucked for sure.

5.31 FIP
2nd half
2.83 FIP

So he made an adjustment and grew

I think we need to see what he can do vs bitch about what he can't.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Just to recap

To be fair we are getting Lindor for
1st half Yu sucked for sure.

5.31 FIP
2nd half
2.83 FIP

So he made an adjustment and grew

I think we need to see what he can do vs bitch about what he can't.

I’m not complaining about Yu. I like him, but I just wouldn’t take him over Buehler and Strasburg.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
To be fair we are getting Lindor for

I’m not complaining about Yu. I like him, but I just wouldn’t take him over Buehler and Strasburg.

I get that. But all I am posting are factual numbers. Any one can use that info how they want.

All I'm saying is his 2nd half he was in ace country. If peeps here don't want to respect that that is their problem.

If he sustains. Well time will tell. He at least has got my attention now. Before this run I was disappointed also.