MLB Playoffs IGT

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
No.

I believe that they need to make a hard push for Cole and also deepen their pen.

You take away choices by creating stability. Joe was in the same boat. 2016 he had Zo in LF Baez at 2B. Baez took that choice away and created stability. Having Fowler created stability at the lead off. Removing Fowler created instability which left the choice on Joe.

It is really common sense. Go after a TOR because Nat's have 3 and you don't. And add a strong set up to take the decision to pitch Kershaw out of the pen away.

Doesn't make sense. All Roberts had to do was go to Maeda for the 8th as he's done all season.

And now you're saying they "need" Cole. What???

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Doesn't make sense. All Roberts had to do was go to Maeda for the 8th as he's done all season.

Maeda made 26 starts. Dodgers bullpen has been shitty all year. Kershaw shits the bed in the playoffs, but nothing with the Dodgers bullpen is an easy decision.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

They are losing Ryu

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Maeda made 26 starts. Dodgers bullpen has been shitty all year. Kershaw shits the bed in the playoffs, but nothing with the Dodgers bullpen is an easy decision.

They shouldn't be going to a starter in the 8th in the first place.

They signed Kelly and he didn't perform like last year. Will Smith makes the 8th inning a easy choice and will keep Jansen on his toes to keep the 9th. Cole and Buhler make a strong 1-2 punch.

They are losing Hill and Ryu. They have May and Urais that they can internally replace. And that is not a bad choice. But neither are better than Cole and either could push Maeda to the pen.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Cole is a #1. Ryu is not.

Not following your thought process. In the perfect offseason thread, you told me Cubs don’t need to get Cole because they already have Darvish who you think is a #1.

Yet, the Dodgers who have Buehler, Kershaw, and Ryu, need to get Cole? Are you saying that Buehler, Kershaw, and Ryu are not #1s but Darvish is?

Last edited:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Rankings:

Gerrit Cole
Madd Bumgardner
Jake Odorizzi
Hyun-Jin Ryu
Dallas Keuchel
Zack Wheeler
Alex Wood
Gio Gonzalez
Cole Hamels

Wheeler IMO has not made the step to TOR yet. He has been in the shadow of 2 better pitchers. I see him as a #2 on the current rotation.

Bum would be a 1A.
Ryu is a step above Wheeler but a #2 still.
Cole is a Ace on most staffs.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Not following your thought process. In the perfect offseason thread, you told me Cubs don’t need to get Cole because they already have Darvish who you think is a #1.

Yet, the Dodgers who have Buehler, Kershaw, and Ryu, need to get Cole? Are you saying that Buehler, Kershaw, and Ryu are not #1s but Darvish is?
WHIP,
Darvish had a .83 WHIP, 118 SO 7 BB 2,76 ERA in the 2nd half.
Cole: .74 156, 18, 1.79
Buehler 1.11 102, 23, 2.99
Verlander .79, 147, 15, 2.06
Strasberg 1.04, 113, 27, 2.91
Flaherty .071, 124, 23, 0.91
DeGromm 0.83, 117, 19, 1.44

So Yu is in a TOR network here. Buehler is close to that level but Yu is better.

Bum is the 2nd best arm on the market.
1.04, 88, 19, 3.75 Worse than what Yu did post ASG. But better than Kyle Hendricks.

So Ya the Dodgers would go there. Cubs IMO should invest into Madbum. He makes a solid #2 behind Darvish.
Odorizzi follows with a 1.32, 82, 23, 3.97

To me it is all about SO's when you really try to gauge these guys. Lower but good end result is more back of the rotation. Front is strike out with low WHIP. Either by less hits or walks. Those are the guys you invest into.

Bumm 1.38 WHIP
Odorizzi 1.32
Ryu 1.15 is better than both but he has 64 SO's in the 2nd half. I don't see him as a TOR type. More MOR like Hendricks.
Wheeler same boat. 65 SO and 1.23 WHIP. Age is in his favor. But his numbers suggest MOR.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Cole and Verlander would win the Cy young in either league. That is just how good they are.

NL I would rank it as:

Flaherty
DeGromm
Darvish
Strasberg
Gray
Buehler
Kershaw
Corbin
Nola

Honestly Gray you could argue top 3. .98 WHIP 102 SO 2.12 ERA. Outstanding turn around with Cin.

But Flaherty looks like the league ace now. His numbers are off the chart.

Castor76

Liked Posts:

Where does this thought that the Dodgers have a bad pen come from? Their pen had the 4th best ERA in baseball, same in K/BB ratio, 2nd in opponents OPS. They had a lot of blown saves, but they have a lot of Save Opportunities. So them having a bad pen is a myth.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Where does this thought that the Dodgers have a bad pen come from? Their pen had the 4th best ERA in baseball, same in K/BB ratio, 2nd in opponents OPS. They had a lot of blown saves, but they have a lot of Save Opportunities. So them having a bad pen is a myth.
No, it isnt.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
No, it isnt.

This article sites two completely useless stats, WAR and Wins Probability Added. Hard stats that don't have a formula that gets tweaked year to year say that other than Save Percentage, the Dodgers pen was top 5 in a lot of categories that matter. They had the best WHIP, #2 is BAA and OPS.

The article you cited pointed to individual meltdowns. That's like saying you can choose between the Manning brothers who you want as your QB and you take Eli because you know if you win just one playoff game, you're winning the SB, versus taking the guy who might only be about 50/50 in the playoffs, but he's going to get you there. I wonder what the WAR and WPA for the Nationals' pen and their 5.66 ERA and their .800 OPS allowed was. And their pen blew just as many saves this season.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
WHIP,
Darvish had a .83 WHIP, 118 SO 7 BB 2,76 ERA in the 2nd half.
Cole: .74 156, 18, 1.79
Buehler 1.11 102, 23, 2.99
Verlander .79, 147, 15, 2.06
Strasberg 1.04, 113, 27, 2.91
Flaherty .071, 124, 23, 0.91
DeGromm 0.83, 117, 19, 1.44

So Yu is in a TOR network here. Buehler is close to that level but Yu is better.

Bum is the 2nd best arm on the market.
1.04, 88, 19, 3.75 Worse than what Yu did post ASG. But better than Kyle Hendricks.

So Ya the Dodgers would go there. Cubs IMO should invest into Madbum. He makes a solid #2 behind Darvish.
Odorizzi follows with a 1.32, 82, 23, 3.97

To me it is all about SO's when you really try to gauge these guys. Lower but good end result is more back of the rotation. Front is strike out with low WHIP. Either by less hits or walks. Those are the guys you invest into.

Bumm 1.38 WHIP
Odorizzi 1.32
Ryu 1.15 is better than both but he has 64 SO's in the 2nd half. I don't see him as a TOR type. More MOR like Hendricks.
Wheeler same boat. 65 SO and 1.23 WHIP. Age is in his favor. But his numbers suggest MOR.

So, are you saying, if given the choice between Darvish, Kershaw, Buehler, Ryu, and Strasburg, your choice is Darvish?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
This article sites two completely useless stats, WAR and Wins Probability Added. Hard stats that don't have a formula that gets tweaked year to year say that other than Save Percentage, the Dodgers pen was top 5 in a lot of categories that matter. They had the best WHIP, #2 is BAA and OPS.

The article you cited pointed to individual meltdowns. That's like saying you can choose between the Manning brothers who you want as your QB and you take Eli because you know if you win just one playoff game, you're winning the SB, versus taking the guy who might only be about 50/50 in the playoffs, but he's going to get you there. I wonder what the WAR and WPA for the Nationals' pen and their 5.66 ERA and their .800 OPS allowed was. And their pen blew just as many saves this season.
So, WAR is a useless stat? Righhhhttt. Also, did you read the whole article? Only the Nats were worse going into this years playoffs.

The rest of your post is just deflection of the Dodgers bullpen is not good in high pressure situations. Want to know how I know? They went into the playoffs expecting to use starting pitchers out of it. Doesnt that scream shutdown bullpen and myth? I guess to the whole Dodgers organization it does not.

It isnt myth. Dodgers bullpen has been bad all year in high leverage situations. Any body can pitch with a 6 run lead. You fail to recognize that.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Go Nats.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
So, are you saying, if given the choice between Darvish, Kershaw, Buehler, Ryu, and Strasburg, your choice is Darvish?

Remember back when they were trying to sign Darvish and everyone with me was saying, man, he cant pitch in the playoff pressure, why do we want him, we know Jake can. Now before we go all Jake sucked, the egomaniacs clearly do not like being told they are not wanted. We dont know how long Jake was injured either.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Based off of the numbers yes.

Yu was 4-4 over that span. Most of those guys had better teams to support them with worse numbers. And had a .800 winning % based off of team support.

The 2nd half is where Yu put it together and that should be the standard we judge him by now.

By the numbers he is the 4th best starter in the NL right now.

That is ace quality.

So fix the core problem first.

D AND run support.

Which really comes down to a every day CF and lead off

The Martte situation with Pitt might be a interesting trade scenerio. That team makes weird trades all of the time. Marte put up .295/.342/.503.

Marte CF
Bryant 3B
Rizzo 1B
Baez SS
Schwarber LF
Contreras C
Heyward RF
Nico 2B

Send Happ and some prospects in return. They are looking for control and savings here.

After that they would have to decide on Q. 10.5M opt for a pitcher that struggled in Sept. He is not play off quality.

So the most likely scenerio is they toss Alozay out as the 5 and keep a innings limit. Trade deadline if they are in it then trade for a replacement and limit him more. Out of it Mills.

Boring but with what Theo said: we need to get younger it really points to self development in 2020.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
You can add in the pen also here.

Kimbrel
Dellin Betances (F/A)
Wick
Ryan

Main 7-9 crew.

Middle inning I would focus on 2 inning arms.

Underwood, Mills, Chatwood etc.

I wouldn't start with Chatwood. 1 year control really not worth losing development time for Alozay.

Rotation

Yu
Hendricks
Q
Lester
Alozay.

If they decide to go big with Cole they will have to move Q first. 10.5M saved. Then after that they would be smart to push Chatwood next.