MLBTR: Cubs Top 50 FA Signing Predictions

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
1. David Price – Cubs. Seven years, $217MM. Price is a true number one starter in his prime. The 30-year-old southpaw posted a 2.45 ERA in 220 1/3 innings for the Tigers and Blue Jays, and is ineligible for a qualifying offer due to a July trade. Price is a five-time All-Star and the 2012 Cy Young winner, and he’s got a shot at the award again this year. Even in a free agent market flush with unprecedented starting pitching, Price is the cream of the crop and should command a record deal. Clayton Kershaw‘s seven-year, $215MM extension signed in January 2014 should be his target. The Cubs are the early favorite, as they are known to be seeking an impact starting pitcher and Joe Maddon managed Price with the Rays. The Blue Jays will attempt to bring Price back, while the Dodgers, Red Sox, and Giants figure to be among those in the mix.

24. John Lackey – Cubs. Three years, $50MM. Lackey had a fantastic year for the Cardinals, with a 2.77 ERA in 218 innings. His base salary was the league minimum due to an injury-related clause he agreed to upon signing with Theo Epstein’s Red Sox in 2009, but the Cards added $2MM in performance bonuses. After that bargain, the Cardinals made the $15.8MM qualifying offer, and Lackey is expected to turn it down in search of a multiyear deal. He recently turned 37, so some suitors could be wary of a three-year deal. The Cubs, Dodgers, Diamondbacks, Astros, Royals, Giants, Tigers, Blue Jays, Orioles, Mariners, Marlins, Nationals, Rangers, Twins, and Yankees could all be part of his robust market.

27. Denard Span – Cubs. Three years, $39MM. Span, 32 in February, hit .292/.345/.404 in his three seasons with the Nationals. His center field defense rated as below average for the last two years, however. Span had hip surgery on September 1st and will spend most of the offseason recovering, potentially depressing his price tag. To the great benefit of his market, Span did not receive a qualifying offer from the Nationals. The Cubs are a good fit for Span, though it’s easier to picture a team like the Mariners coming into play since they have the first unprotected pick in the draft.

I don't want Span. What do you guys think of this?

Thunderfoot

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't want Span if his defense is not at least a B grade. I don't want a 37 year old pitcher either.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I don't want Span. What do you guys think of this?

Span is the guy I want if his medicals check out. Given his season last year he's going to be cheaper than Fowler, command fewer years and would be an upgrade over Fowler at the plate, and possibly in defense if the injuries haven't changed that. Most of all he makes more contact than Fowler which is a stated goal from the FO. If Fowler will cost 4/$70 and Span 3/$36its a no brainer particularly if you front load the deal a bit say $14/$14/$8. If you want to replace him in late 2017 or before 2018 he'd be easily tradable to make room for Almora or Eddy Julio Martinez.

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
Span is the guy I want if his medicals check out. Given his season last year he's going to be cheaper than Fowler, command fewer years and would be an upgrade over Fowler at the plate, and possibly in defense if the injuries haven't changed that. Most of all he makes more contact than Fowler which is a stated goal from the FO. If Fowler will cost 4/$70 and Span 3/$36its a no brainer particularly if you front load the deal a bit say $14/$14/$8. If you want to replace him in late 2017 or before 2018 he'd be easily tradable to make room for Almora or Eddy Julio Martinez.

That's a good argument for him. I didn't realize that the contract was 3 for 36 on the article. At that price, I wouldn't be too mad, but his injury history and age are the factors that scare me.

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
How about Zimmerman?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
How about Zimmerman?

Serious response:

I'd love to have him, but not sure how much we'd have to spend if we drop 200+ mill on Price.

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
Serious response:

I'd love to have him, but not sure how much we'd have to spend if we drop 200+ mill on Price.
If we don't get Price

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
If we don't get Price

I would assume Greinke would be option no. 2 if we whiff on Price. Why not all fucking 3? Open the books, Ricketts!

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
I would assume Greinke would be option no. 2 if we whiff on Price. Why not all fucking 3? Open the books, Ricketts!
Yeah as a fans view that would be great! But we know that's not going happen. Greinke and Price would come as a higher price than Zimmerman and plus with 155mil already invested in Lester that seems more likely the way the Cubs would go.

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
Yeah as a fans view that would be great! But we know that's not going happen. Greinke and Price would come as a higher price than Zimmerman and plus with 155mil already invested in Lester that seems more likely the way the Cubs would go.

Lol, i know man I was just kidding. I think it's inevitable that we sign either Greinke, Price, or Zimmerman. After that we'll look to sign someone like Lackey or Gallardo.

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
Lol, i know man I was just kidding. I think it's inevitable that we sign either Greinke, Price, or Zimmerman. After that we'll look to sign someone like Lackey or Gallardo.
How about Cueto?

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
How about Cueto?

Cueto is a solid option if we miss out on Zimmerman, Price, or Greinke. Hell, depending on how much he's asking for I wouldn't mind getting him AND one of those three.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
I don't think Lackey is the greatest option. I would rather go after Kazmir, or even Samardzija in regards to the 2nd tier options available. Kazmir expected to get $39 mil, Shark $85 m

CBS estimated a 4/$48 million deal for Fowler. I would much rather do that, than get Span for 3/$39 mil. I don't think Span is going to be worth it at that price, would rather take to the trade market if that's the case.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer...free-agents-ranked-by-dollars-and-projections

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
I don't think Lackey is the greatest option. I would rather go after Kazmir, or even Samardzija in regards to the 2nd tier options available. Kazmir expected to get $39 mil, Shark $85 m

CBS estimated a 4/$48 million deal for Fowler. I would much rather do that, than get Span for 3/$39 mil. I don't think Span is going to be worth it at that price, would rather take to the trade market if that's the case.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer...free-agents-ranked-by-dollars-and-projections

3/30 million for Austin Jackson? Really?

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:

I hope that's the case

DanTown

Liked Posts:
I'd been fine with Price+Fowler if the Fowler price is 4/5 years around 15 million a year. The long term play with Fowler would hopefully be something like he plays CF/LF while leading off, Schwarber plays C/LF with a platoon of Contreras behind the plate, and Almora batting at the bottom of the order but playing high-level CF.

For my money, I also wouldn't mind a Castro trade, getting Zobrist to play leadoff and play wherever the hole is (likely 2B but potentially LF) and the resigning Jackson on a one/two year deal at around 8-10 million a year.

The Cubs seem to be throwing a ton of water on the SP signing but I think the Cubs are willing to dive into the SP market because of the long term issues that could come with giving Arrieta a long term deal that starts when he's 32. I love Jake, think he's great, but the Cubs only gave Lester a guaranteed 155 million over 6 years to sign him at 31 where as Jake might cost an extra 50-60 million and be a year older. I still think the best play for both Chicago and Arrieta is to buy out the arbitration years. Something like 6-150 with an out after four works for both I bet.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'd been fine with Price+Fowler if the Fowler price is 4/5 years around 15 million a year. The long term play with Fowler would hopefully be something like he plays CF/LF while leading off, Schwarber plays C/LF with a platoon of Contreras behind the plate, and Almora batting at the bottom of the order but playing high-level CF.

For my money, I also wouldn't mind a Castro trade, getting Zobrist to play leadoff and play wherever the hole is (likely 2B but potentially LF) and the resigning Jackson on a one/two year deal at around 8-10 million a year.

The Cubs seem to be throwing a ton of water on the SP signing but I think the Cubs are willing to dive into the SP market because of the long term issues that could come with giving Arrieta a long term deal that starts when he's 32. I love Jake, think he's great, but the Cubs only gave Lester a guaranteed 155 million over 6 years to sign him at 31 where as Jake might cost an extra 50-60 million and be a year older. I still think the best play for both Chicago and Arrieta is to buy out the arbitration years. Something like 6-150 with an out after four works for both I bet.

Could someone please explain the infatuation with Austin Jackson? 55 lifetime HRs and 884 SOs.....he has the strike out numbers of a guy that should have about 5 times as many HRs as he does. Do the Cubs really need this type of player?

Nick

Liked Posts:
Zimmermann*

I would like Span and Price signing with the Cubs. Lackey i would like as well but not as much. It would be a plus that he doesn't resign with St. Louis though.