Monday Oct 1 News & Tweets

Happy Human 1001

Liked Posts:
It Appears that Bears-Cowboys Will Be “Who Can Run on Who” and Other Points of View
Tom Shannon September 30, 2012 chicitysports.com
[h=2]Bears[/h]
“‘As a receiver, you better want it,’ Drake said Saturday. ‘If you don’t want the ball, I don’t want you. If you don’t want the football, what good are you … what kind of competitor are you?’”
Having said that, I’d say maybe Hester will get the ball more when he gets open. And maybe he should catch the ball when he does get open:
“Hester was targeted in the end zone during last Sunday’s 23-6 victory over the Rams, but Hester and Cutler failed to connect.
“‘I thought it was a tough catch but one he has to make,’ Drake said.”
I agree. Thinking about all that “Who are they going to cover” and “pick you poison” talk from the wide receivers during training camp makes me sick. Like Cutler did before the Green Bay game, there are guy son this offense that seem to talk a lot but they don’t seem to be much good at backing it up. I thought that stuff about the great unit they were going to have was all just wind then and nothing that has happened since has changed my mind. Earl Bennett is always solid but other than Brandon Marshall, who is being double covered like a blanket, I don’t think there’s a single playmaker on the whole unit.

“‘Definitely, [Cowboys running back Demarco Murray is] a No. 1 running back,’ defensive end Corey Wootton said. ‘Every game we go into, especially with this team and DeMarco Murray, the way their line blocks, we definitely have to stop the run and force them to pass.’”
  • Matt Bowen at the Chicago Tribune seems to imply that the Cowboys will try to run the ball, then use play acton with max protect (as illustrated). If the Bears manage to stay in a cover two against that, (as he implies), they’ll be OK on defense.
[h=2]Dallas[/h]
“I know Murray is fighting hard for his yards, but I’m worried that he’s getting hurt every play. He’s very slow to get up after almost every carry. Is he sandbagging (Ricky Williams used to take his time getting up as well) or do you think he’s actually getting his bell rung every play?
“Gosselin: Murray is a violent runner, much like his predecessor at Oklahoma Adrian Peterson. They seek out contact and try to deliver the blow rather than absorb it. That style is what makes Murray so effective — his physicality in the ground game. He’s not going to change his style…and you’re going to continue to hold your breath. It took forever for Jim Brown to get up after he was tackled. Yet he never missed any time and was as great a runner as this league has ever seen. Like Murray, he’ll expend his energy with the ball in his arm — not the walk back to the huddle.”

• Jonathan Bales, also at the Dalas Morning News, does an extensive breakdown of what he sees as a big matchup this Monday – Brandon Carr Vs. Brandon Marshall:
“In Week 9 of the 2011 season, then-Dolphins receiver Brandon Marshall torched the Chiefs for eight receptions, 106 yards, and a touchdown. I re-watched every snap to see if Marshall was able to get the best of current Cowboys cornerback Brandon Carr. For the most part, Miami did an excellent job of keeping Marshall away from Carr, especially in passing situations. Of the Dolphins’ 47 offensive snaps, Marshall faced Carr on only 14 of them, almost always on first down.”
“Earlier this week, I showed you how Carr shut down Bucs receiver Vincent Jackson. Jackson ended up with just one reception, and none with Carr on him. This week, Marshall represents a tougher challenge for Carr. While the cornerback excels in press coverage, Marshall is so big and strong that sometimes it doesn’t even matter if you get your hands on him.”
The Cowboys have rookie first round draft pick Morris Claiborne on the other side.

“Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo has spent the past two games being used as a piñata by opposing defensive linemen and watching his favorite receiver, tight end Jason Witten, let a season’s worth of passes slip through his fingers.”
“Despite Romo’s 89.3 passer rating and 64.8 completion rate, the offense regularly plays from behind the chains because of 12 false-start penalties in three games.”
When you have Julius Peppers on the other side you get a lot of solo dance sets. Idonije has taken full advantage of that dropping 2.5 sacks on the Rams [Sam] Bradford last week. 6’6″ 275lbs with a huge wingspan the man has a bull rush and not a bad speed rush. He is good with his hands and has a good motor. Free has not recovered his old RT form at this point. One can make an argument that Free will improve as the guard play next to him gets better and this is true to a point. However he is having issues when 1 on 1 during passing downs and seems to be fighting some confidence issues. This is a solid test for him. It will be interesting to see if Dallas decides to put help on his side and leave Peppers 1 on 1 vs Tyron Smith. Think positive thoughts people. We need some good vibes here and so far this year, Free has struggled.”
Leaving Peppers one-on-one one with anyone is a major mistake. Free’s going to have to do the job for the Cowboys or there will be serious issues for them, mobile quarterback or not.

“The question Chicago is asking itself this week, do we cover Witten with a LB? PLEASE disrespect him this way. I want you to, no I double-dog-dare you to do this. Witten had a busted spleen people. He will be the Witten of old soon. Chicago needs to guess which week. Murray gets going in the running game that will free Witten up and this game is over.”
I’d be surprised if Vila doesn’t get his wish. They might get a little safety help but I’ll bet you its going to be mostly on the linebackers. I honestly can’t wait to see what happens.
[h=2]Elsewhere[/h]
  • Josh Alper at profootballtalk.com says that Jets coach Rex Ryan was asked after their embarrassing 34-0 loss to the 49ers if he’d be making a change at quarterback:
“‘I don’t think that’s the answer. I think [Mark Sanchez is] the answer at quarterback,” Ryan said in comments from his postgame press conference distributed by the Jets. ‘I think Mark is the answer. Again, time will tell.’”
“We’ll save you the trouble. If Sanchez is the answer, what question could Ryan possibly be asking?”

7644d8dde6862a65602f4113012daa4e-clevelands-guard-needs-to-see-a-proctologist-immediately.jpg
[h=2]One Final Thought[/h] Why do I not find this to be funny? Oh, yeah. Its because I’m sober (currently). And responsible (relatively). Also from The Sports Pickle.

Happy Human 1001

Liked Posts:
Around the NFL, lost causes and found objects
Among what was lost: The 0-4 Saints, Oakland's pride, Jake Locker and the Lions again. Found: Brady's helmet, regular refs' fallibility, surprising Minnesota and a way to win for Atlanta and Arizona.

Sam Farmer

October 1, 2012

Who says Tom Brady isn't a great scrambler?

The Patriots quarterback was scrambling all over the New England sideline Sunday in Buffalo, frantically searching for his missing helmet before his team's first possession of the third quarter. He couldn't just grab a teammate's helmet, because his is outfitted with a coach-to-quarterback earpiece.

Brady finally found what he was looking for, and so did his team. The Patriots erased a 14-point second-half deficit by scoring touchdowns on six consecutive second-half drives on the way to a 52-28 blowout.

All around the NFL, it was a lost-and-found Sunday.

Lost: New Orleans. The Saints put up a good fight in Green Bay before falling, 28-27, to slip to 0-4 — amazingly, the NFC's only winless team.

Found: The reminder that regular officials make mistakes too. The Packers, whose "Fail Mary" defeat in Seattle spelled the end of replacement refs, were burned for a touchdown Sunday by two non-calls: an offensive pass interference in the end zone by the Saints, and a New Orleans fumble on a kick return.

Lost: A bit of pride. Oakland Coach Dennis Allen, Denver's former defensive coordinator, returned to his old city and saw the Silver and Black crushed, 37-6.

Found: Hope. Broncos fans concerned about Peyton Manning were relieved to see the surgeon back at work — 30 of 38, 338 yards, three touchdowns.

Lost: Detroit — yet again. Counting their playoff game, the Lions are 6-10 since starting last season 5-0. What happened to the resurgence of that franchise? The K-car had a longer run.

Found: A team that was prematurely buried. Minnesota followed its victory over San Francisco with a 20-13 win at Detroit. It was the first NFC North win for Coach Leslie Frazier, and the first time in 12 tries the Vikings have won a division game.

Lost: Jake Locker. The Tennessee quarterback was knocked out of a 38-14 loss to Houston with a shoulder injury. The undefeated Texans keep rolling.

Found: A way to win. Atlanta and Arizona also kept their unbeaten status, each winning at home with field goals at the end. The Falcons squeaked past Carolina, 30-28, while Arizona needed overtime to edge Miami, 24-21.

Lost: Two Redskins. In a freak accident before Washington's game at Tampa Bay, Redskins receiver Aldrick Robinson and safety Brandon Meriweather were injured in a collision during pregame warm-ups. Meriweather, who was making his return from a knee injury, ran into Robinson. Meriweather aggravated the knee injury and Robinson was briefly knocked out. Neither was wearing a helmet or pads, and both were ruled out of the game.

Found: The space between the uprights. Washington's Billy Cundiff beat the Buccaneers with a field goal after missing his previous three attempts. The Redskins can thank rookie Robert Griffin III and his never-say-slide running for putting them in position to win.

Lost: The football, by Kansas City. The Chiefs had six turnovers against San Diego, five in the first half.

Found: San Diego's offense. A week after being held to three points at home, the Chargers hit the road and outscored the Chiefs, 37-20.

Lost: Santonio Holmes. The New York Jets lost their star receiver to an injured foot a week after losing their best defensive player, Darrelle Revis, to a knee injury.

Found: A wildcat offense in the Jets game. The problem for the Jets? The wildcat belonged to San Francisco. Backup quarterback Colin Kaepernick ran for 50 yards in five carries, with a touchdown, giving future 49ers opponents one more threat to worry about. In winning, 34-0, the 49ers posted their first road shutout in a decade.

Drew and Johnny U.

As bad as this season has been for New Orleans, the Saints have reason to cheer quarterback Drew Brees, who Sunday tied Hall of Famer Johnny Unitas' record of a passing touchdown in 47 consecutive games.

Brees' record-tying touchdown was a 20-yarder to Marques Colston in the first quarter. Officials didn't flag an apparent offensive pass interference on the play, as Colston pushed the defender. At least it was the first time this season the Packers had reason to complain about an official's decision on a ball thrown into the end zone.

No, wait …

Crystal football

The Fox color analyst for the Seahawks-Rams game was former St. Louis Coach Mike Martz, who disagreed with the Rams' decision to line up for a field goal on fourth and goal from the three-yard line.

"I thought the way this [St. Louis] team is, I'd go for it," Martz said. "That's just me. Too much momentum going with these guys."

Wise words. The field goal was a fake, with holder Johnny Hekker taking the snap, standing up and hitting a completely unguarded Danny Amendola in the corner of the end zone. That was the Rams' first offensive touchdown in 100 plays, ending the NFL's longest active streak of futility.

Fine but not good

Vikings linebacker Chad Greenway is likely to get dinged by the NFL for his hit on Detroit receiver Calvin Johnson, briefly leaving Megatron crumpled and face-down on the turf. As a pass slipped through Johnson's hands, Greenway launched himself at Johnson and slammed his shoulder pad into the receiver's head. Looked like a textbook illegal hit on a defenseless receiver.

Guest of dishonor

Watching with the crowd at the St. Louis game was Gregg Williams, the Rams' suspended defensive coordinator at the center of the New Orleans bounty scandal. His son, Blake, coaches Rams linebackers.

Although he's banned indefinitely from coaching in the league, or even attending games, Williams asked for and received permission to attend Seahawks-Rams after being invited by a friend. According to NFL spokesman Greg Aiello, Williams "will not have contact with players or staff."

Greg the leg

On a day when normally reliable kickers David Akers of San Francisco and Stephen Gostkowski of New England missed two field goals each, St. Louis rookie Greg Zuerlein boomed field goals of 58, 48, a franchise-record 60 and 24 yards. All 19 of the Rams' points in their 19-13 victory over the Seahawks came on special teams.

"Right now, our kicker is the MVP of the season," Rams running back Steven Jackson said. "Pretty much, all we've got to do is get across the 50-yard line and we're in his range."

sam.farmer@latimes.com

twitter.com/LATimesfarmer

Copyright © 2012, Los Angeles Times

Happy Human 1001

Liked Posts:
Vikings top Lions 20-13, match '11 win total

Sports Xchange

4:38 p.m. CDT, September 30, 2012
DETROIT -- Special teams delivered a streak-busting victory for the surprising Minnesota Vikings.

Percy Harvin returned the opening kickoff 105 yards for a touchdown and Marcus Sherels scored on a 77-yard punt return as the Vikings upset the Detroit Lions 20-13 Sunday at Ford Field. Minnesota snapped an 11-game losing streak against NFC North opponents.

"We wanted to win this game as much as we wanted to win the week before," Vikings coach Leslie Frazier said. "We knew the impact of it, the fact that we were playing a division game and what the outcome would mean for our football team. But we really didn't talk about the past."

Currently, Frazier is coaching a first-place team. Minnesota's defense held the vaunted Lions offense without a touchdown until the late going as the Vikings (3-1) equaled their 2011 win total. Adrian Peterson gained 102 yards on 21 carries and second-year quarterback Christian Ponder (16-of-26, 111 yards) remained interception-free this season.

Peterson had his first 100-yard game since suffering a serious knee injury late last season.

"He looks good. I don't know if he's going to say he's 100 percent but looks 100 percent to me," Ponder said. "You see the progression every week. He's just getting more comfortable with what he's doing. He was fantastic. He made my job a lot easier."

So did the explosive plays by the special teams unit.

"We always talk about starting fast. That's the fastest start you can get," Ponder said. "We immediately put up seven on the board. Percy is such an integral part of this offense and for this whole team. Special teams was huge, between him bringing back that one and Marcus Sherels having that punt return. Those points were huge for us."

Matt Stafford, who missed practice time this week with a hip injury, completed 30 of 51 passes for 319 yards and scored a rushing touchdown for Detroit (1-3). Rookie Mikel Leshoure, coming off a 100-yard rushing performance in his debut, was limited to 26 yards on 13 carries and committed a second-half fumble. Calvin Johnson was held to five receptions and 54 yards.

"We've just got to figure out how to start faster," Lions receiver Nate Burleson said. "We're a good team, we can put points on the board, the defense plays well. But playing from behind week in and week out, it's tough. It's the NFL. You get behind, the majority of the team you're not going to come back."

Special teams breakdowns plagued the Lions for the second straight week. They gave up two return touchdowns in an overtime loss to Tennessee the previous Sunday, including another 105-yard kickoff return by Darius Reynaud.

Sherels, a third-year cornerback, broke loose after Kassim Osgood missed a tackle immediately after Sherels caught Nick Harris' punt. His first NFL touchdown came less than two minutes into the second half and gave the Vikings a 20-6 advantage.

"This wasn't a special teams loss, this wasn't a defensive loss or offensive loss. It was all of us," Leshoure said. "It was a lot of things that factored in and we've just got to eliminate mistakes."

Detroit drove inside the Vikings' 10 early in the fourth but defensive end Everson Griffen sacked Stafford on fourth-and-goal. Stafford finally broke the Lions' touchdown drought with 2:56 remaining by extending the ball over the goal line on a 1-yard leap.

A pair of pass interference penalties by rookie cornerback Bill Bentley also contributed to the Lions' slow start, as Minnesota took a 13-6 halftime lead.

Bentley's first penalty against Jerome Simpson cost Detroit 31 yards and set up Blair Walsh's 49-yard, first-quarter field goal. His second, also against Simpson, gave the Vikings 26 yards and led to Walsh's 27-yard field goal with 8:14 remaining in the half.

Simpson made his season debut after serving a three-game NFL suspension for violating its substance abuse policy.

The Lions were limited to 40- and 31-yard field goals by Jason Hanson during the first half. Johnson and Brandon Pettigrew dropped potential touchdown passes prior to Hanson's second field goal.

NOTES: Harvin's return touchdown was the fifth of his career. ... Lions defensive end Cliff Avril suffered a back injury chasing Ponder with 13:26 remaining and did not return. ... Detroit swept Minnesota last season for the first time since 1997. ... After a bye week, the Lions play four of their next five on the road. ... The Vikings play three of their next four at home and don't have another division game until they host the Lions on Nov. 11. ... Minnesota played without two defensive starters, linebacker Erin Henderson (concussion) and safety Mistral Raymond (ankle). Detroit played without defensive tackle Corey Williams (knee).

Copyright © 2012, Chicago Tribune

Happy Human 1001

Liked Posts:
Ex-Bear Meriweather takes out own WR in pregame collision

Sports Xchange

10:15 p.m. CDT, September 30, 2012
Washington Redskins safety Brandon Meriweather and receiver Aldrick Robinson were both knocked out of Sunday night's game before it started as they were involved in an odd collision in pregame warm-ups.

Meriweather was preparing to play his first game of the season after battling a knee injury.

But during pregame drills, he was running a route toward the end zone, and when he attempted to catch a ball, he slammed into Robinson, who was looking at the ground in the end zone. Robinson was not wearing a helmet, and he was hit in the head by Meriweather's right knee, according to the Washington Times.

Robinson remained on the ground for about 10 minutes before walking off with assistance from trainers.

Both were made inactive for Sunday's game.

Happy Human 1001

Liked Posts:
Packers survive missed call to win 28-27

SportsDirect Inc.

7:24 p.m. CDT, September 30, 2012
Aaron Rodgers threw for 319 yards four touchdowns, including the go-ahead score to Jordy Nelson, and host Green Bay survived another missed call -- this time by the regular officials -- to win 28-27 and sent reeling New Orleans to its first 0-4 start in 16 years.

James Jones caught a pair of touchdowns and also made a sensational one-handed catch while being interferred with late to help the Packers (2-2) run out the clock.

Even with the regular officials back, the Packers were on the short end of another questionable call after being robbed of a win on a botched call by the replacement referees Monday night. It didn't cost them, however, because Garrett Hartley missed a 48-yard field goal after a holding penalty wiped out his go-ahead, 43-yarder.

The questionable call came after Rodgers' go-ahead, 11-touchdown pass to Nelson with seven minutes to play. Replays clearly showed that Darren Sproles fumbled the ensuing kickoff and Green Bay appeared to recover. The officials ruled Sproles was down by contact, but Green Bay was out of challenges.

Drew Brees, who tied Johnny Unitas' NFL record of 47 straight games with a touchdown pass, was 35-of-54 for 446 yards and three touchdowns.

GAME NOTEBOOK: Two Packers collided with each other while trying to intercept a tipped pass early in the fourth quarter. ... The Packers' converted a risky fake punt on fourth-and-inches deep in their own territory midway through the second quarter. The gameble paid off when Rodgers' capped the 13-play, 92-yard drive with his second touchdown pass to Jones - a 14-yard score that made it 21-7 with just under five minutes left in the half.

Happy Human 1001

Liked Posts:
Cutler, Romo not exactly mirror images
Cowboys QB more efficient, accomplished, while Bears' signal caller has better arm

Dan Pompei On the NFL

7:41 p.m. CDT, September 30, 2012

At this stage in their careers, Jay Cutler and Tony Romo often are portrayed as the same quarterback in a different uniform.

But if you look behind the face masks, they don't have as much in common as you might think.

Perceived similarity: They are about equally productive.

Difference: There is no question Romo has been a more efficient and dynamic quarterback.

Romo has a considerably better passer rating (96.6 to 83.6), average per attempt (8.03 to 7.23) and completion percentage (64.5 to 60.8).

What's more, Romo's passer rating is third highest all-time, behind only Aaron Rodgers' 103.2 and Steve Young's 96.8. He also has the sixth highest yards per attempt all-time, behind only Otto Graham (8.98), Sid Luckman (8.42), Norm Van Brocklin (8.16), Aaron Rodgers (8.13) and Cam Newton (8.08).

Perceived similarity: Both have been defined by postseason failures.

For Romo, it was a botched hold against the Seahawks in 2007, a fourth-down interception in the end zone as the clock was winding down against the Giants in 2008 and three fumbles and an interception against the Vikings in 2010. His record in the playoffs is 1-3.

For Cutler, it was throwing an interception and missing wide-open receivers before sitting out most of the second half with a knee injury against the Packers in the NFC championship game in 2011.

Difference: Even though Cutler actually has one more career start in the regular season than Romo, Cutler has had only one crack at the postseason; Romo has had three.

Perceived similarity: Both can take a beating.

There is little doubt these are two tough hombres.

Last Sunday, Romo was pummeled by the Bucs. You may have seen the video of him on his back with his eyes closed after one hit. A year ago, he played for six weeks with a broken rib and a punctured lung. He previously played with a broken collarbone and a broken finger.

Since 2010, Cutler has been sacked 86 times — more than any quarterback in the NFL.

Difference: Romo is better at avoiding pass rushers and buying second chances. He makes more throws on the run than Cutler and is better able to use broken plays to his advantage.

Perceived similarity: Both are gunslingers.

Since Cutler became a Bear in 2009, he has thrown more interceptions (55) than any player in the league other than Eli Manning, who has thrown three more in seven more games.

In that span, Romo has thrown 26 fewer interceptions than Cutler in three fewer games. But when Romo does throw interceptions, he sometimes throws doozies.

For instance: In the first game at Cowboys Stadium, Romo threw three picks in a two-point loss to the Giants. Last year the Cowboys jumped out to a 27-3 lead on the Lions before Romo threw two pick-sixes in a five-minute span in the third quarter, and the Lions came back to win.

Difference: Romo is a better caretaker than he's given credit for, and a better caretaker than Cutler. "Tony likes to create and make plays and he has a knack for it," said Stephen Jones, Cowboys vice president. "Every now and then you might have a turnover. But he knows how important it is to take care of the ball."

But Cutler can make an impossible throw better than Romo. No quarterback can squeeze a pass into a ridiculously tight spot better than Cutler. The fact that he knows it sometimes can work to his detriment, however.

Perceived similarity: Both are about to be paid like elite quarterbacks.

The contracts of both players expire after the 2013 season.

Difference: It is pretty much a foregone conclusion that Romo is going to get his money. Cowboys management has made that clear, and it wouldn't be surprising if Romo signed a new deal at any time.

"Tony is our quarterback for the foreseeable future," Jones said.

It appears the Bears still are trying to determine Cutler's value to the team.

Perceived similarity: Each has one of the most high-profile jobs in the NFL, given the team each plays for.

Difference: Romo may always be in the shadows of former Cowboys Troy Aikman and Roger Staubach. Cutler, meanwhile, has a chance to become the greatest Bears quarterback since Sid Luckman.

Perceived similarity: The leadership of both players has been questioned, and both have been called aloof at times.

Difference: Romo is more of a quiet, humble, leader by example. Cutler can be a very vocal, forceful leader.

Cutler is not always sensitive to people he works with. Romo is known for his collegiality and appears to be respected by all corners of the Cowboys locker room.

The world will see just how similar, and dissimilar, these quarterbacks can be Monday at Cowboys Stadium.

dpompei@tribune.com

Twitter @danpompei

Happy Human 1001

Liked Posts:
Odd similarities between QBs Cutler, Romo

By Dan Pompei, Tribune reporter

10:22 p.m. CDT, September 30, 2012
Here are some peculiar similarities between Jay Cutler and Tony Romo.

• Both were coveted by coach Mike Shanahan when he was running the Broncos.

In 2003 after Romo went undrafted, Shanahan offered him $20,000 to sign with the Broncos. Romo took $10,000 less to sign with the Cowboys because he thought he would have a better chance to play in Dallas.

Had Romo gone to Denver, it's possible Shanahan would not have used the 11th pick of the 2006 draft to take Cutler.

• Both grew up in neighboring states to Illinois, but Cutler (Indiana) was a Bears fan and Romo (Wisconsin) was a Packers fan.

• Both have had significant others who have been linked to signer Nick Lachey: Cutler's fiance Kristin Cavallari and Romo's ex Jessica Simpson.

• Both became first-time fathers this year. Hawkins Crawford Romo was born April 9; Camden Jack Cutler was born Aug. 8.

• Neither could resurrect the career of wide receiver Roy Williams.

Happy Human 1001

Liked Posts:
4 downs: Bears look to improve on first down

By Brad Biggs, Chicago Tribune reporter

9:25 p.m. CDT, September 30, 2012
1. You can't focus on everything at one time, Mike Tice said, so the Bears offense has made a concerted effort to improve on first down. They have been terrible to this point, gaining 77 yards on 40 first-and-10 runs and 152 yards on 35 first-and-10 passes. Both statistics rank 29th. The Bears have averaged only 3.05 yards on first down, putting quarterback Jay Cutler in a hole. One thing improves that: running the football better. If the Bears can find some first-down holes it should open up shots down field in play action. Tice has tried it the other way – play action first – and it hasn't worked.

2. Beware the pass rusher. Quarterbacks are going to be on the lookout, with Julius Peppers and DeMarcus Ware representing two of the best in the league at hunting down passers. Ware arguably has been the best in the NFL in a six-year stretch in which he has totaled 91½ sacks and been in double-digits each season. Ware has 103½ sacks in his career and averages 0.91 per game. Peppers has 102½ sacks but has played in 43 more games (0.65 per game). Both are perfect examples of what defenses are looking to build units around.

3. The Bears went with a basic approach against the Rams and gave regular help to the offensive line. They figure to be in position to offer the same help to combat Ware and fellow outside linebacker Anthony Spencer. The more max protect the Bears use for Jay Cutler, the more pressure there will be on wide receivers Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery to win matchups against talented corners Brandon Carr and Morris Claiborne. Lost in the protection breakdowns in Green Bay was that the wideouts failed to win against man coverage.

4. This is a big setting for quarterback Cutler, who has not been at his best with the Bears in prime time. He holds a 6-7 record in night games and is 3-6 on the road. It's a challenging spot, but these are the games the Bears need to win consistently. It's not that Cutler has been bad on the road — everyone has a tougher time away from home — but pressure games have resulted in some rough performances. The offense is supposed to come of age this season.

Happy Human 1001

Liked Posts:
Tribune writers pick 'em: Bears at Cowboys
9:32 p.m. CDT, September 30, 2012
Brad Biggs (3-0)

Bears 23, Cowboys 17: Facing plenty of questions before the season, the Bears defense has answered nearly every one. This unit can go on the road and play well enough to stifle a talented but overhyped crew.

Matt Bowen (3-0)

Bears 20 Cowboys 17: The possible return of Matt Forte could give the Bears more big-play capability, but I'm looking at defense — two of the league's top units on the prime-time stage. Julius Peppers and company hit Tony Romo early in the Monday night win.

David Haugh (3-0)

Cowboys 27, Bears 23: In a game that threatens to be dominated by both defensive lines, the Bears offense will be worse for Ware, as is Cowboys sack specialist DeMarcus. Jay Cutler won't enjoy this trip to Texas nearly as much as the one two years ago.

Vaughn McClure (3-0)

Bears 27, Cowboys 20: Both teams have quarterbacks capable of extending plays. Both teams have elite pass-rushers. And both have had offensive line issues. The difference might come down to special teams, and Devin Hester is overdue to break a long one.

Dan McNeil (3-0)

Cowboys 27, Bears 24: This could be a delight for those who despise quarterbacks. Neither has good protection; both are capable of bed-wetting on a big stage. Because he's at home, I'll take Romo over Cutler.

Fred Mitchell (2-1)

Bears 23, Cowboys 16: Two touchdowns — one by the defense or special teams — and three Robbie Gould field goals might be enough. Brian Urlacher keeps getting a little better every week and he might hit full stride.

Mike Mulligan (3-0)

Cowboys 23, Bears 21: There are plenty of reasons to pick the Bears. But how do you take that leap of faith on the road, at night and in a nationally televised game? The Bears probably are the better team — if they can get out of their own way.

Dan Pompei (3-0)

Cowboys 27, Bears 23: History says don't bet on the Bears in a night road game against a pretty good opponent. It might be difficult for the offense to get rolling in a loud stadium against the NFL's No. 1-ranked defense.

Steve Rosenbloom (2-1)

Bears 4, Cowboys 2: The Cowboys offensive line is bad. The Bears defensive line is scary. The Bears offensive line is bad. The Cowboys defensive line is scary. Running backs could retire. Quarterbacks could die. This could look worse than Jerry Jones' face work.

Happy Human 1001

Liked Posts:
Bears can take much from victory against Cowboys in 2010
BY MARK POTASH mpotash@suntimes.com September 30, 2012 9:07PM
Updated: September 30, 2012 9:34PM

ARLINGTON, Texas —
Just by not being Mike Martz, Bears offensive coordinator Mike Tice has had the wind at his back since being promoted after last season.

On Monday, though, he’ll have to measure up to arguably Martz’s greatest triumph in his two seasons as the Bears’ offensive coordinator: a 27-20 come-from-behind victory against the Cowboys in Week 2 of the 2010 season at Cowboys Stadium.

That game was a victory for Tice, as well — and quarterback Jay Cutler, too — which only increases the scrutiny of a Bears offense that has been great, bad and good enough in three games this season. How well have they learned to handle the adversity of a 3-4 pass-rushing defense in a marquee road game since Cutler was sacked seven times in a 23-10 loss Sept. 13 to the Packers?

They figured it out in a matter of minutes at Cowboys Stadium in 2010. Cutler was sacked twice and hit five times in seven pass plays on the Bears’ first three possessions. Left tackle Chris Williams sufferd a hamstring injury on the first series.

But the Bears found a way to survive. Kevin Shaffer replaced Williams. When that wasn’t working, Tice flipped Shaffer to right tackle and moved Frank Omiyale to left tackle.

And Cutler and Martz not only found a way to neutralize the Cowboys’ frothing pass rush but beat it. A quick throw to Devin Hester for 19 yards and a quick throw to Greg Olsen for a 39-yard touchdown, and the Bears were on their way.

Suddenly, Cutler had time to throw a 59-yard bomb to Johnny Knox. Hester made the best catch of his NFL career, a one-handed grab while dragging both feet to stay in bounds in the back corner of the end zone. Cutler’s passer rating (136.7) was the second-highest of his career on the road. And the Bears won with 38 rushing yards and two yards per carry, tied for their fewest rushing yards in a victory during the Super Bowl era.

Tice helped to settle down an offensive line that was in disarray in that game. Now he has an even bigger task as the coordinator.

It won’t be easy. As Tice noted last week, the Bears ‘‘have a checklist of things we have to do better.’’ And that checklist is long enough that everything won’t be done at once.

‘‘We’ve got to work at getting better at something each game without taking any steps backward,’’ Tice said.

That’s not an impossible task against a Cowboys team that creates its own problems even better than the Bears do. DeMarcus Ware is one of the best pass rushers in the NFL, but he can be contained. He had two sacks against the Giants in Week 1
and two sacks last week against the Buccaneers — both Cowboys victories. But he was shut out in a 27-7 loss to the Seahawks in
Week 2. The Seahawks’ starting left tackle that day? Omiyale.

The Bears don’t have an ‘‘anchor’’ on their offensive line, but they have a lot of guys who can get the job done with a little help, a little communication and a lot of teamwork.

Nobody expects J’Marcus Webb or Gabe Carimi to become Joe Thomas or Jake Long overnight — or ever, at this point. But Tice knows there’s still a way to get the job done. It has happened before.

Happy Human 1001

Liked Posts:
Emergence of RB DeMarco Murray has given Cowboys’ offense another weapon
BY JOE COWLEY jcowley@suntimes.com September 30, 2012 9:40PM
Updated: October 1, 2012 2:20AM

Linebacker Brian Urlacher wasn’t giving away the game plan as much as he was reiterating a philosophy.

‘‘Well, stop the run is No. 1,’’ Urlacher said of what the Bears have atop their to-do list Monday against the Dallas Cowboys. ‘‘That’s always our No. 1 goal.’’

The Cowboys are counting on that.

In watching game film — even going back to last season — the emergence of running back DeMarco Murray has given the Cowboys a new element on offense. That means an ability to sell a lot more play-action, a play they used five times in Week 3 against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. All five plays resulted in completed passes of at least 14 yards.

‘‘For us, it’s dictated off of personnel and
coverage and where guys are,’’ quarterback Tony Romo said of what the Cowboys are looking for offensively each week. ‘‘And that’s how I look at the field. You’re looking at who is lined up where and with what coverage. A lot of different factors, [such as] down-and-distance. That’ll dictate where I go with the ball. As far as forcing the ball to a guy, we don’t do that.’’

What the Cowboys do want to force is over-
commitment by an aggressive defense.

dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls

Basically, they line up in a strong I-formation, even having the receivers close to the edges to sell a power running play. On the snap, the offensive line blocks as though the play is a run, with the fullback shooting through the gap, looking for the middle linebacker. Romo sells the action to Murray, who follows the fullback in the hole. Meanwhile, the tight end (Y) holds his block on the strong-side linebacker before releasing into the right flat.

The Z is key in this because he has to read the aggressiveness of the strong safety in biting on the play-action. If the strong safety commits up, the pattern breaks deep. If he stays back, the Z breaks his pattern in front of the safety, opening up the window between the linebackers and the safety.

Because the receivers are lined up so tight to the formation, it also opens up the out pattern if the cornerback is over-committing to the inside.

If Romo sells it the right way, he has crossing
options with the receivers or underneath options with the fullback or tight end.

It starts with Murray giving the Cowboys a few solid runs early in the game, forcing the Bears to take notice of him.

Happy Human 1001

Liked Posts:
Keeping Cutler upright: Simple Bears mission statement vs. Dallas
September 30, 2012, 12:35 pm
JOHN "MOON" MULLIN csnchicago.com

Sometimes a complex situation – like an NFL offense – comes down to something pretty simple. Such is the case for the Bears dealing with the Dallas Cowboys on Monday night.

The Bears are 8-0 in their last eight games when Jay Cutler is sacked two or fewer times in a game, including two this season. Cutler was sacked just once in the September 2010 game in Dallas and the Bears won 27-20 despite needing to reset their offensive line twice in the game because of injuries.

Few plays in the game other than turnovers have the negative impact that sacks have. They cost yardage and they cost a down. At least a penalty gives the offense the down to fix the situation.

But for the Bears, who have a quarterback who is tougher physically than he is emotionally, sacks also too often cost them Cutler psyche. When he thinks he’s being pressured, he throws off his back foot, inaccurately and arguably too often for Brandon Marshall.

“We have to do a better job and I have to do a better job this week against Dallas of making sure we protect the quarterback against a couple of elite pass rushers and a very elite front,” said offensive coordinator Mike Tice. “They lead the league in defense.”

The Cowboys will be the third 3-4 defense the Bears have faced in four games. All three are different but all three – Indianapolis, Green Bay, Dallas – do one thing well: rush quarterbacks.

The Bears dodged a problem with the Colts when rush leader Dwight Freeney went out with a first-quarter injury. They dodged nothing in Green Bay, least of all Clay Matthews, and the seven Packers sacks produced a predictable outcome: four interceptions and a loss.

Against St. Louis the protection improved even if Cutler didn’t significantly (58.9 passer rating) and the question of Cutler’s head lingered after a sluggish 23-10 win.

Dallas (137.0 yards per game) is behind only the Packers against the pass and are fifth in the NFL in sacks per pass play. The Packers are No. 1, the Bears No. 2, and if there is a concern it is that the Cowboys are ranked that high without having played the Bears.

“These guys are a little bit different than some of the 3-4’s we’ve seen in the past,” Cutler said. ‘Any 3-4 is going to have great edge rushers. There’s going to be a lot of ‘Sam’ and ‘Will’ blitzing, some man.

“They’re playing a little bit more zone than I think they have in the past with coach [Rob] Ryan. They mix it up well. But first and foremost you’ve got to protect your edges with those two guys coming off the ends it makes it hard.”

Those “two guys” are linebackers Anthony Spencer, who had two sacks in the loss to the Seattle Seahawks, and DeMarcus Ware, the latest in the litany of “elite” pass rushers the Bears are confronted with in the first half of 2012.

All-Pro Ware has four sacks, behind Matthews’ six and is the second-fastest in NFL history to reach 100 career sacks, doing it in 113 games. Reggie White hit the century mark in 92.

And the Cowboys set about complementing that front with heavy investments in cover corners: first-round draft pick Morris Claiborne, for whom the Cowboys traded up eight slots in round one, and Brandon Carr, a four-year starter with the Kansas City Chiefs who was a cornerback in 2012 free agency.

“Really good defense, good defense,” Cutler said. “Front four, front seven, pass rushers; they’ve definitely upgraded their DBs in the draft and free agency. Solid team. Coach Ryan’s going to do a good job of game planning, mixing up the coverages. It’s going be a challenge.”

Particularly if the rush gets inside the quarterback’s head.

Happy Human 1001

Liked Posts:
Bears-Cowboys preview: Cowboys' ball
September 30, 2012, 6:13 pm

The Dallas Cowboys are tied for 31st in scoring this season, barely more than two touchdowns a game (15.7 ppg.), same as the Philadelphia Eagles in something of a shaky scoring year for the NFC East.

The Cowboys don’t run the ball very well (76.7 ypg) and Tony Romo, for all of the attention and hype, is a middle-of-the-pack passer with a rating of 89.3. He has won exactly one playoff game in his career – just like Jay Cutler – and time and patience are running out in Dallas.

The strength of the Bears, on any side of the ball, is the rush pressure from the mix-and-match front four that has generated 13 sacks with minimal blitzing. That is the tip of the Bears’ spear, and the single biggest problem facing the Dallas offense.

The home-field advantage works for the Cowboys, whose offensive line struggles are beyond those of the Bears. Tackles Doug Free and Tyron Smith have drawn penalties (four false starts for Free, plus two holding penalties; an NFL-leading five for Smith) and it is a unit far from effective too often.

“We have some moving parts in there, and really what you’re trying to do is you’re striving for consistent execution, and that’s what you try to do with all of your football team,” said Dallas coach Jason Garrett. “It’s particularly important up front on the offensive line because it has such an impact on how you do on offense, both in the running game and the passing game.”

DeMarco Murray is not going to make anyone forget Emmitt Smith just yet, and Murray netted only 38 yards in 18 carries in a bumbling win over Tampa Bay. That’s two clunkers since his 131 yards on 20 carries in the opener vs. the New York Giants.

But just as the Bears are tasked with using the run game to take pressure off Tony Romo and the protections, the Cowboys plan to force the Bears to play the run first and to prove that they can play it well.

The Cowboys are 20-20 in games where Romo is sacked more than once. The goal will be to shut down Murray on first downs – the Cowboys rank 26th in the NFL with an average of 4.53 yards on first-down plays – and create situations where Romo will need to use his excellent mobility because he is being chased.

“The big thing is you just have to control the pocket,” said defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli. “As much as anything, you have to keep him inside. Keep all those type of guys, make him work inside of a pocket. Because once he’s out of it, he is special.”

Happy Human 1001

Liked Posts:
Bears-Cowboys preview: Bears’ ball
September 30, 2012, 8:47 pm

The offense that was viewed weapons-heavy from the trade for Brandon Marshall and on through the drafting of Alshon Jeffery and signing of Michael Bush has been too often heavy footed through three games. That must change if the Bears are to finish the first quarter of the season where they want to be: with no less than a share of the NFC North lead and one of the leaders in the NFC.

Two straight games with just one offensive touchdown and a quarterback who went into the weekend as the next-to-worst passer in the NFL has sowed some doubt. But the offense in 2010 and 2011 began to click when Mike Tice became more involved and the expectation is that sooner or later that will be the case for 2012.

The Bears need it to be “sooner.”

As I discussed previously, the prime directive for the Bears’ offense is keeping Jay Cutler and his fragile psyche vertical. Against a Dallas defense ranked No. 2 in yardage allowed via the pass, this will require some creativity, given the evil intentions of linebackers Anthony Spencer and DeMarcus Ware.

The Bears have won eight straight games in which Cutler was sacked no more than twice. But protection issues cannot be solved solely through max-protect schemes against pass rushes like Dallas’ and Green Bay’s.

Setting aside any considerations for strength of opponents, what the Bears also are is 2-0 this season when they have run the ball 30 or more times. Indeed, the averages per carry in the wins over Indianapolis and St. Louis were sub-4 yards.

The per-carry average at Green Bay may have been 4.1 yards but the Bears only ran the ball 23 times vs. 34 pass plays despite the Chicago defense holding the Packers without an offensive touchdown until a Cutler interception gave the Packers the ball at the Chicago 26 in the fourth quarter.

“Some days, the yards per carry won’t be up there but if you stay committed to the run it can do some other things for you,” coach Lovie Smith said. “But we need to improve in our running game.”

The Bears defeated Dallas in 2010 with a play balance of 19 runs (for just 38 yards) and 30 pass plays. But seven of Cutler’s 21 completions were to running backs, contributing to an overall in which the Cowboys managed only one sack and zero takeaways while the Bears’ defense was coming up with two interceptions and a fumble recovery.

The best way to dial down the rush threats from Anthony Spencer and DeMarcus Ware will be to accomplish something – anything – on first downs. The Bears are the NFL’s worst on first downs (3.32 yards per play). They are 10-of-22 in third-down conversions of nine yards or less but 3-of-19 in third-and-10’s or longer.

“You can’t win in this league when you’re in a lot of second-and-long, third-and-longs,” said receiver Brandon Marshall. “We need to clean that up but I really like what we’re doing.”

The Bears ran the ball no fewer than 25 times in any of their eight wins last season. They did lose games in which their rush number was up but not enough to overcome mis-plays by Caleb Hanie, Marion Barber and others.

They are still a team with its identity still in a molten state. That was expected to be a non-problem under Mike Tice, first-time coordinator or not. If that identity is established in the first half and maintained throughout, the Bears will come back to Chicago with a 3-1 record for the first quarter of 2012.

Happy Human 1001

Liked Posts:
Romo's mobility presents a challenge
Posted 20 hours ago
By Larry Mayer chicagobears.com

As they prepare for Monday night's game in Dallas, the Bears know they'll need a relentless pass rush against Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo, who excels at keeping plays alive with his feet.

"It's a big challenge because he's as mobile as any, and not to run but to throw the ball," said coach Lovie Smith. "We should know what he's going to do, but it seems like he finds a way to get out of a lot of tough situations. That will be a challenge for us to keep him penned in."

Lance Briggs (55) and the Bears beat Tony Romo and the Cowboys 27-20 in 2010.
In three games this season, Romo has completed 64.8 percent of his passes for 841 yards with four touchdowns, three interceptions and an 89.3 passer rating. He has rushed for 12 yards on 11 attempts and been sacked seven times.

"He scrambles to throw," said defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli. "You've just got to control the pocket as much as anything. You've got to keep him inside. You've got to make him work inside of a pocket because once he's out of there, he special outside of it. He's really good.

"He's a playmaker. He has instincts, awareness. He's got a great feel for avoiding the rush and he moves around to create lanes down the field to throw."

The Bears will counter with an athletic defensive line that has accounted for 13 of the team's NFL-high 14 sacks this season. The line is led by Henry Melton (3 sacks), Julius Peppers (21/2), Israel Idonije (21/2), Shea McClellin (2), Corey Wootton (11/2), Amobi Okoye (1) and Stephen Paea (1/2).

"All the guys up front can run," Marinelli said. "Where football's at today, you have playmakers at quarterback. The guy from Washington (Robert Griffin III), [Michael] Vick, all those guys, they're athletic guys. So you've got to match that with athletic rushers."

Division race: The Bears (2-1) will enter Monday night's game in second place in the NFC North behind the surprising Vikings (3-1). On Sunday, Minnesota beat the Lions (1-3) in Detroit 20-13, while the Packers (2-2) defeated the New Orleans Saints 28-27 in Green Bay.

Working together: While the Bears' front four has received much of the credit for the defense's excellent performance so far this season, the linemen haven't done it by themselves.

"The coverage has been excellent," Marinelli said. "The coverage with corners and safeties and our 'backers has been very good. It all works together, rush and cover. We talk about that every day.

"There are times you don't get sacks, but you pump the ball out fast and the guys pick the ball. It all works to try to win the game. Guys working together is the biggest part."

Home cooking: The home team has won each of the Bears' first three games this season, a trend they hope to snap Monday night in Dallas. In their first road contest this season, Jay Cutler threw four interceptions and was sacked seven times in a 23-10 loss to the Packers at Lambeau Field.

"It's just tough in the NFL to win on the road," said offensive coordinator Mike Tice. "You look around the league and it's so difficult to win on the road. We have to be poised and we have to handle the crowd noise. We have a checklist of things we have to do better."

In Lovie Smith's nine seasons as coach, the Bears are 42-24 at home and 31-34 on the road.

In their last meeting with the Cowboys on Sept. 19, 2010 in Dallas, Cutler completed 21 of 29 passes for 277 yards with three touchdowns, no interceptions and a 136.7 passer rating-his second highest with the Bears-in a 27-20 victory.

"That was a good win, but that was a couple years ago," said center Roberto Garza. "They have a lot of great players on [defense], so we have to get ready for a big challenge on Monday night in a hostile environment. We took a step last week [in a 23-6 win over the Rams] and we have to continue to grow as an offensive line and grow as an offense."

Happy Human 1001

Liked Posts:
Will Cutler face off with Rob Ryan again?
By Jeff Dickerson | ESPNChicago.com

LAKE FOREST, Ill. -- Jay Cutler has admired current Dallas Cowboys defensive coordinator Rob Ryan since the time the veteran NFL coach ran the Oakland Raiders' defense when the quarterback played for AFC West rival Denver from 2006-08.

"I love Rob Ryan," Cutler once said. "I think that he has always liked and respected me. I think he's a great coach, and you can just hear the energy he brings on the sidelines for those guys. I've always enjoyed playing and competing against him. I think he's one of the best in football. I've always enjoyed going against the guy."

But that supposed mutual level of respect didn't stop Cutler and Ryan from getting into a spirited verbal sparing match with each other at Solider Field in 2009 when Ryan served as the defensive coordinator for the Cleveland Browns. On several occasions, Cutler was observed yelling at the Browns sideline while Ryan waved off the quarterback and motioned for him to go back to the huddle.

One of the players wearing a Browns jersey that day was Bears linebacker/special teams ace Blake Costanzo, who spent two years under Ryan in Cleveland. Costanzo chuckled when asked about the memorable back-and-forth between the coach and quarterback in early November 2009, a game the Bears eventually won 30-6.

"(Ryan’s) just a fiery guy," Costanzo said. "He gets into the games and gets behind his players. I think we were doing fairly well on defense that day and he was just pumped up for us. Stuff like that happens. He just wears his emotions on his sleeve when he coaches. I think that's what you got to do. He's just so into the game. That's just the way he coaches, that's his style."

So far, Ryan's style is working in Dallas as the Cowboys enter Monday night with a record of 2-1, due in large part to the play of the defense. Ryan's unit ranks No. 1 in total defense, No. 2 in passing defense, and has surrendered a league best 4.4 yards-per-play.

Through three games the Bears rank No. 27 in total offense (290.0) and No. 28 in passing offense (186.3).

"Coach Ryan was awesome," Costanzo said. "He's everything you want in a football coach. He would do anything for his players and it's just a ball playing for him. I have great memories playing for him in Cleveland, and like I said, he believes in every single one of his players no matter what position you are. When you go out on that field he's got all the confidence in you. To play for a guy like that is really fun.'

"Look who his father is (Buddy Ryan). He comes from old school. He's got the work ethic and all that stuff. Definitely an aggressive guy and a defensive guy all the way. Like I said it was a pleasure playing for him."

Happy Human 1001

Liked Posts:
Forte, Bennett may sit on Monday
By Jeff Dickerson | ESPNChicago.com

LAKE FOREST, Ill. -- Chicago Bears running back Matt Forte (ankle) and wide receiver Earl Bennett (hand) are questionable for Monday night's game against the Dallas Cowboys, according to coach Lovie Smith.
Chicago Bears
Forte

Forte participated in the Bears' workout Saturday after being limited in practice the previous three days. The Pro Bowl tailback sat out last week after he sprained his ankle in the third quarter of a Week 2 loss at Green Bay.

Bennett has been nursing a hand injury for the last two weeks. The wideout has caught a combined three passes for 32 yards in the last two games after posting three catches for 50 yards versus the Indianapolis Colts in Week 1.

"He's been playing and just has to keep playing and doing what he's doing and he'll be fine," Bears receivers coach Darryl Drake said.

Smith said rookie fullback Evan Rodriguez will not play Monday due to a knee injury. Rodriguez hurt the knee on the opening kickoff against the St. Louis Rams last weekend, returned to action for five plays, then was officially ruled out for the rest of the game.

[h=4]Week 4: Bears at Cowboys[/h] Here's the official injury report for Monday night's game in Dallas.
TeamPos.PlayerInjuryStatus
CHITEEvan RodriguezKneeOut
CHIWREarl BennettHandQuestionable
CHIRBMatt ForteAnkleQuestionable
DALLBAlex AlbrightNeckOut
DALDTKenyon ColemanKneeOut
DALCPhil CostaBackOut
DALSMatt JohnsonHamstringOut
DALNTJay RatliffAnkleOut
DALPChris JonesLeft KneeDoubtful
DALLBAnthony SpencerShoulderQuestionable
DALWRMiles AustinHamstringProbable
DALDTSean LissemoreChestProbable
DALSGerald SensabaughCalfProbable
DALDTMarcus SpearsKneeProbable
DALFBLawrence VickersIllnessProbable
DALLBDeMarcus WareHamstringProbable
DALLBKyle WilberThumbProbable

Happy Human 1001

Liked Posts:
W2W4: Bears-Cowboys
By Michael C. Wright | ESPNChicago.com

[h=3]CHICAGO BEARS (2-1) at DALLAS COWBOYS (2-1)[/h] 7:30 Monday at Cowboy Stadium on ESPN
QuarterbackAdvantage
Jay Cutler might be poised to put together a strong outing in the face of a fierce Dallas Cowboys pass rush if the team puts the offensive line in position to succeed and coordinator Mike Tice calls a smart game. But after posting a passer rating of 98.9 in the opener, Cutler has put together a couple of duds and has thrown one touchdown and five interceptions in his last two outings. Tony Romo suffers from some of the same deficiencies as Cutler, but he deserves credit for hitting 25 of 39 for 283 yards last week against Tampa Bay despite suffering four sacks.
dal.gif

Running BacksAdvantage
Matt Forte’s status remains uncertain, but in his only outing against the Cowboys, he averaged just 2.9 yards per carry. If Forte can’t go, the Bears expect plenty of production from backup Michael Bush, who has scored 18 rushing touchdowns over the past three seasons, which ranks as 10th-best in the NFL in that time span. The Cowboys haven’t gotten much lately out of their running game after DeMarco Murray rushed for 131 yards in the season opener. Backup Felix Jones has carried twice this season for no yardage.
chi.gif

Wide ReceiversAdvantage
Brandon Marshall is the only Bears receiver with double-digit catch totals (16 receptions for 214 yards and a touchdown), while the Cowboys feature three targets (Miles Austin, Kevin Ogletree, and Dez Bryant) with 13 catches or more. Add tight end Jason Witten -- who has struggled so far -- into the mix and it appears the Cowboys possess more weapons than the Bears. Cutler’s reliance on Marshall could be detrimental against Dallas’ talented secondary.
Brandon Gibson and Steve Smith are also capable targets.
dal.gif

Offensive LineAdvantage
Dallas’ offensive line has given up seven sacks, compared to 11 given up by the Bears. But that statistic probably doesn’t tell the entire story because Romo is a more mobile quarterback than Cutler, and probably has been able to avoid some of the sacks. The Cowboys gave up four sacks last week and averaged just 1.7 yards per rush with LT Tyron Smith, LG Nate Livings, C Ryan Cook, RG Mackenzy Bernadeau and RT Doug Free leading the way. Chicago OTs J’Marcus Webb and Gabe Carimi have been the Bears’ biggest liability in protection thus far.
dal.gif

Defensive LineAdvantage
The Bears lead the NFL in sacks, and 13 of the club’s 14 sacks have come from the defensive line, which features DEs Julius Peppers and Israel Idonije, and DTs Henry Melton and Stephen Paea supported by a strong rotation aided by DT Amobi Okoye, rookie DE Shea McClellin and Corey Wootton. Because the Cowboys play a 3-4 front, the majority of their pass rush comes from the outside linebackers. NT Jay Ratliff is still out while Kenyon Coleman and Jason Hatcher will man the DT spots.
chi.gif

LinebackersAdvantage
Bears MLB Brian Urlacher might be working back to form, but he flashed glimpses during an eight-tackle outing against the Rams and has made 19 stops in his last two games. WLB Lance Briggs continues to perform at a high level, and has tallied three tackles for lost yardage over his last two games. SLB Nick Roach posted his first sack of the season last week. DeMarcus Ware will likely be the most talented LB on the field Monday night, but Sean Lee and Bruce Carter add an athletic dimension.
dal.gif

SecondaryAdvantage
The Bears are allowing 203 yards per game through the air, with cornerbacks Tim Jennings (NFL-high four interceptions) and Charles Tillman leading a secondary that has benefitted from a strong pass rush from the front four. Despite their youth and inexperience, Major Wright and Chris Conte flash playmaking ability. The Cowboys feature strong play at corner, too, with Brandon Carr and rookie Morris Claiborne. But the safety position is iffy with FS Gerald Sensabaugh returning after missing last week with a strained calf.
tie_icon_80.gif

Special TeamsAdvantage
Dez Bryant scored his first NFL touchdown against Chicago in 2010 on a 62-yard punt return in the first quarter, which likely isn’t a fact lost on Bears special teams coordinator Dave Toub. So look for the Bears to try to tighten up their coverage units. On the return side, Devin Hester has come close to breaking a couple and has four kickoff returns of 30 yards or more and one punt return of 20-plus yards. If the game comes down to a field goal, Robbie Gould (6 of 6 this season) holds the advantage over Dan Bailey.
chi.gif

CoachingAdvantage
The nod goes to experience in this one and although Lovie Smith’s record against the Cowboys is just 3-3, he’s demonstrated more ability to keep a team together than Jason Garrett, who is in his second full season as Dallas’ head coach. Garrett presided over a Sept. 27 meltdown at Seattle in which the Seahawks outscored the Cowboys 14-0 in the third and fourth quarters, and his team hasn’t yet finished better than second in the NFC East. After running off a four-game winning streak in Garrett’s first year at the helm, the Cowboys dropped four of five down the stretch and missed the playoffs. The Bears did worse that season in losing five of six to end 2011, but they also lost Cutler and Forte to injuries.
chi.gif

OverallAdvantage
Two streaky quarterbacks playing behind leaky offensive lines against strong defenses make for an intriguing matchup that will likely come down to field position and special teams. The team that can run the ball likely comes out on top of this game because the rushing attack eventually could open up things in the passing game. At this point, the Bears -- even if Forte can’t play -- seem better equipped to run the ball. But Chicago’s offensive line needs to do a much better job of protecting Cutler so he can hit open receivers on the few occasions they’re likely to be open. Romo probably will stand stronger in the face of pressure than Cutler, who has demonstrated an inability to keep his composure in difficult situations. This game has the makings of a slugfest. But given the disruptive pass rushes of both teams, the game could easily become a blowout.
chi.gif

PREDICTION: Bears 19, Cowboys 17

Schmidtaki

Just your everyday fail.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nice thread... I apologize for apologizing, you dirty old post :hitler:

Nuthin but :beer: