More PFF rankings

BornAnAngryBearsFan

TF you lookin' at?!?!
Liked Posts:

Yeah, these rankings are major horse shit. The defending NFC champions (Panthers) are dead last. The Packers are 4th??? But, they said they have the 18-19th ranked front seven.... lol Also, the low ass grade they gave Arizona just made no fucking sense at all. If anything, Seattle should be swapped with Arizona. But, that's just my opinion

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Yeah, these rankings are major horse shit. The defending NFC champions (Panthers) are dead last. The Packers are 4th??? But, they said they have the 18-19th ranked front seven.... lol Also, the low ass grade they gave Arizona just made no fucking sense at all. If anything, Seattle should be swapped with Arizona. But, that's just my opinion

Yes because they lost their top corner in free agency one of the best in the game. Their third best CB from a year ago is now their starter/lockdown guy. Off seasons can change a lot.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If only Amos would have had a couple picks and forced fumbles he could have been a Pro Bowler.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
True, by putting the Bears and Panthers at the bottom of the rankings, PFF is basically equating the Panthers losing Josh Norman with the Bears retaining Tracy Porter.

According to Biff Carroll and the Seahawks picking up Webb makes Webb good. He's got some great logic.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
I don't think the Bears have the second-worst secondary, but it's still a problem for the team. I really hope Kyle Fuller figures it out this season, otherwise it's time to move on.

And the whole safety situation is still a problem.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
The only player in this years draft that was the closest can't miss prospect in secondary was Ramsey. Everybody else had flaws. I hated the Bears for not addressing the secondary until the 4th round, but the Bears got the best pass rusher in 1st, a 1st round talent in 2nd, and a 2nd round talent in 3rd. Also Bush can be a sleeper since Al Golden couldn't coach a wet blanket.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
I don't think the Bears have the second-worst secondary, but it's still a problem for the team. I really hope Kyle Fuller figures it out this season, otherwise it's time to move on.

And the whole safety situation is still a problem.
It's also obviously really hard to judge rookies and players with relatively low snaps (Bush, Hall, Houston-Carson, Callahan, Jones-Quartey), except to rank them low, and guess the mid-round rooks won't start. Which is a logical guess.

But Fangio will play rookies. And I expect Bush, Hall, Houston-Carson to have significant playing time right from the start.

I expect Bush to start (though they like Jones-Quartey); and Hall at NB (though they like Callahan).

I'm hoping Porter can play all year like he did in primetime against the Packers, but we might see Hall or Callahan on the outside early in the year.

Burrberry

Liked Posts:
It's also obviously really hard to judge rookies and players with relatively low snaps (Bush, Hall, Houston-Carson, Callahan, Jones-Quartey), except to rank them low, and guess the mid-round rooks won't start. Which is a logical guess.

But Fangio will play rookies. And I expect Bush, Hall, Houston-Carson to have significant playing time right from the start.

I expect Bush to start (though they like Jones-Quartey); and Hall at NB (though they like Callahan).

I'm hoping Porter can play all year like he did in primetime against the Packers, but we might see Hall or Callahan on the outside early in the year.

Callahan was decent last year at Nickel. Why not let him continue to grow there with no confusion?

Hall shouldn't come close to the field this year unless injury. He needs to fix a lot of stuff(Namely tackling, but he's also free against inside moves. He's also 'touchy' when the ball is thrown downfield which will get called more in pro's). Putting a rookie project corner on the outside at the hardest position on D is setting him up for a fall, no matter how bad Porter sucks (especially in this town).

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Fuller I think lost some confidence this past season, hope he gets it turned around.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Callahan was decent last year at Nickel. Why not let him continue to grow there with no confusion?

Hall shouldn't come close to the field this year unless injury. He needs to fix a lot of stuff(Namely tackling, but he's also free against inside moves. He's also 'touchy' when the ball is thrown downfield which will get called more in pro's). Putting a rookie project corner on the outside at the hardest position on D is setting him up for a fall, no matter how bad Porter sucks (especially in this town).

Well, how much can an NFL player learn, from an NFL coaching staff, private tutors and independent study in one offseason? He's the highest drafted CB Bears' Pace/Fox/Fangio have drafted yet. And it's not like there's stiff competition here, nor a DC who won't play rookies.

Also, Callahan was an UDFA rookie last year... If he did well, why would we assume a 4th rounder (Hall) would be worse? I mean sure, you have to learn some things on the field, but that's just another reason Fangio wants him out there (along with his 13 collegiate career interceptions). Plus, Fangio prefers taller CBs (Hall 6'2", Cal 5'10").

The actual situation doesn't seem to fit your suggestion that "Hall shouldn't come close to the field this year unless injury".

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, how much can an NFL player learn, from an NFL coaching staff, private tutors and independent study in one offseason? He's the highest drafted CB Bears' Pace/Fox/Fangio have drafted yet. And it's not like there's stiff competition here, nor a DC who won't play rookies.

Also, Callahan was an UDFA rookie last year... If he did well, why would we assume a 4th rounder (Hall) would be worse? I mean sure, you have to learn some things on the field, but that's just another reason Fangio wants him out there (along with his 13 collegiate career interceptions). Plus, Fangio prefers taller CBs (Hall 6'2", Cal 5'10").

The actual situation doesn't seem to fit your suggestion that "Hall shouldn't come close to the field this year unless injury".

I think Hall will see the field this year but I don't think it'll be at NB. He's not quick enough IMO to hang with slot guys. His length would be better served on the outside where he can use those long arms to jam receivers at the line and use his vert/length to get his mitts into passing lanes. I could see him moving in to cover TEs on occasion but we have Trevathan and Freeman for that now also.

Sent from my davenport using my teleporter

PickSix

Liked Posts:
Is anyone else discouraged that Pace chose not to do anything of substance with the back four in FA while sitting on $20 mill of cap space?

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is anyone else discouraged that Pace chose not to do anything of substance with the back four in FA while sitting on $20 mill of cap space?

Not really since they were already ranked 4th against the pass last year. With a better pass rush this year along with more experience in the scheme I expect them to play better.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
I think Hall will see the field this year but I don't think it'll be at NB. He's not quick enough IMO to hang with slot guys. His length would be better served on the outside where he can use those long arms to jam receivers at the line and use his vert/length to get his mitts into passing lanes. I could see him moving in to cover TEs on occasion but we have Trevathan and Freeman for that now also.
That's actually an interesting subject I've brought up before, but no one had any comment on it...

I agree with you, Hall is a prototypical outside CB (6'2"). It seems some coaching staffs hold these guys as pure outside CB backups -- that is, not playing them at NB, or even DB.

With other coaches, the #3 CB is getting played at NB, even if they're tall, lanky, "less twitch quick", or whatever..

I have no idea if Hall is "the #3 CB", it's still developing, but after Fuller & Porter, by far, Hall has the highest pedigree, int prowess and height.

I'm sure Fangio wants Hall next up if Fuller/Porter get injured. Will he do that by giving Hall as much pro experience as possible via NB/DB? Or hold him off-field as exclusive outside CB backup training -- so as "not to confuse him"?

I think Fangio will throw NB at Hall, and if he can handle it (& I think he will), he will play him NB, hope he ball hawks, & consider him all the better prepped for outside CB if needed.