Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
1. Is Mitch Trubisky good enough to win the Bears a Super Bowl?

JJ Stankevitz: I’m going to say yes, and I don’t think I’m going out on a limb here. The Bears need Mitch Trubisky to be better than he was last year, but they don’t absolutely, desperately, 100 percent need him to be a top five quarterback in the NFL to win a Super Bowl. This defense is still loaded with talent, and talent — moreso than coordinators — wins championships.
I think in the buildup to the season this fact may have been lost a bit: It’s hard to imagine Trubisky being worse in his third year in the NFL and second year in Matt Nagy’s scheme. If he somehow is, then no, Trubisky wouldn’t be good enough for the Bears to win the Super Bowl. But if 2018 is his baseline — him being a roughly average NFL quarterback — it’s difficult to see how that could be worse with another year of experience. Instead, as long as Trubisky is at the very least a slightly above average quarterback, the roster talent and coaching staff around him is good enough to win a Super Bowl.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins

Mikeropod

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. San Antonio Spurs
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Cleveland Browns
  1. San Jose Sharks
  1. Miami (Ohio) Redhawks
I don't care about the score, I don't care about how Mitch "plays," I only care if they win!

smilebit

Liked Posts:
Quite a few analysts have been saying that the Packers new offense will start fast and throw the Bears defense off because it's a new scheme. My theory is that Rodgers will audible out of most the plays and regress back to McCarthy days and he'll bail on the play and try and run around until someone gets open like he always does. I don't think Rodgers ego will let him play in a system where he has to share the spotlight with his new coach. I believe he'll try and win this game on his own and the Bears will make him pay. I think the Bears will win not only because they're the better team but because Rodgers can't get out of his own way. Rodgers could be the x-factor that helps the Bears blow the Packers out. I just hope I'm right, I would love nothing more than to see the pukers get blown out opening night of the season.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
From Adam Jahns article on the athletic talking various bets and odds:

"Trubisky was playing very well before he was injured against the Vikings in Week 11. In Weeks 4-10, Trubisky had a 114.83 passer rating, with 1,713 passing yards, 17 touchdown passes and only four interceptions."

So again, I believe there is reason for optimism and growth with Trubisky. Now, I doubt he carries a 114 passer rating for entire season, but he has shown that he can produce in this offense. He just needs to do it more consistently and eliminate more of the wtf throws. If he does, and paired with that defense, then they absolutely make the playoffs and should easily be considered legit Superbowl contenders.

We all are looking for more consistency out of Mitch but I really think his struggles versus these zone coverages they keep throwing at him account for a larger chunk of potential improvement than anything else. Including all the hand wringing over underthrown and overthrown passes. He seems to learn well from his mistakes. So as long as he keeps learning from all of these zone looks teams keep using then he should fare better.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
I mean
That would put him at 29 TDs and 10 picks. Pretty fucking solid if you ask me.
I mean, it won't appease the crowd that wanted Mahomes or Watson, but it will take this team to the SB. NO DOUBT.

bearsforever

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If the Bears can put a great defense on the field and go to the Superbowl with Sexy Rexy, then we can do it again with Mitch

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If the Bears can put a great defense on the field and go to the Superbowl with Sexy Rexy, then we can do it again with Mitch

Mitch trying to hit a full speed Bernard Berrian in stride 40 yards downfield would have been comical to watch.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Kurt Warner on the NFL Network just said he believes Mitch Trubisky is in line for a big year in his second year in Nagy’s system. He also mentioned how much Mitch improved from year 1 to 2.

Is he an expert? I wonder if he ever considers QB evaluations from Peter King?

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If you are on the outside looking in, I can see picking a team because they have Rodgers. Right or wrong, I don't think you can fault that reasoning unless you follow these teams closely.

Its basically the default stance until the Bears O gets national recognition. And Trubs doesn't have to be the one to do it. The run game can as well.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

greg23

Liked Posts:
Some incredibly insightful football knowledge from King:

“I’m picking a Chiefs-Saints Super Bowl. I’m picking the team that lost the coin toss and never touched the ball in overtime of January’s AFC Championship Game versus the team that got jobbed on the pass-interference non-call in the NFC Championship Game. Let’s call the 54th Super Bowl the Fairness Super Bowl.”

I wonder if he picks horses because they have cute names or likes their number?

The whole Saints were jobbed narrative is unbelievably weak. I seem to remember an egregious non-call on a face mask on Goff that would have set up the Rams with first and goal. It happened right in front of one of the officials.
That doesn’t count in the equation?

Maybe it's just me, but I recall the saints being blah and brees being pretty pedestrian the end of last season.

They are my pick to shock the world's "experts" with a truly mediocre season.

After Thomas, their recv corp is a rb kamara (with no crutch Ingram any more) and a te cook (who finally had a good season after 6-7 attempts?) and....who????

I can see them 8-8/9-7 and miss the playoffs as the NFC south usually turns itself over every year (sans the yucks)

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Until Trubisky shows that he can be a consistant player in this league these pundits will doubt him.

Once he does that then these same pundits will latch on to his jock strap and proclaim that they knew he could do it all along.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers