My 2020 Offseason Bears Goals

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
I am not sure that defenses have all the answers to what the Bears are trying to do. I think that a majority of the offense has not idea what they are doing and it kills any chance at execution. The defense has to do very little because the Bears will screw up what they are being asked to do.

Far too much credit to Nagy albeit by happenstance here.

Opposing defenses have all too often known exactly what the Bears were doing all year long.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My fear for 2020 is becoming that we are going to dump 16-20 million into a marginal upgrade at QB and that is going to weaken the overall team.

The we just need a veteran QB with this defense argument requires us to maintain the elite defense.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
it is pretty simple on what to do now that we know what we have with Mitch. Simplify things based on his intelligence. Cater to what he does best.

so Cohen becomes a gimmick player that we use from time to time and not a focal point of the offense ever again

Patterson to st only

get rid of Gabriel

stop wasting money and high draft picks at te. The talent really isn’t there stop throwing darts at it. You just need guys with a heart beat like we witnessed Thursday

get a legit compliment to Montgomery that addresses his short comings.

we don’t need to gut the team for a foles. It won’t make any difference if we keep running this naggy offense anyways. Will this make trubisky on par with Watson and mahommes? Hell no we are passed that point and know we don’t have that here. But we can still win with the guy

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I am at the point where I would rather just build the team and live with Trubisky for 2020, then gut the team and be left with a weaker roster for a rookie/young QB in 2021.

A top end free agent OLmen and TE will still be here in 2021.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I am at the point where I would rather just build the team and live with Trubisky for 2020, then gut the team and be left with a weaker roster for a rookie/young QB in 2021.

But ...We gotta have a competent Qb who can move the chains

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Show me a clear upgrade over Mitch at a reasonable price and I am in.

Andy Dalton does not launch them into a Super Bowl, but he does cost them a chance to get Brandon Scherff or retain RRH and Trevathan and Dix.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
Dalton is a pretty big upgrade at QB imo. Pace has been decent at finding OL talent so sign a top 10-15 QB and dedicate a draft to OL including TE.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Show me a clear upgrade over Mitch at a reasonable price and I am in.

Andy Dalton does not launch them into a Super Bowl, but he does cost them a chance to get Brandon Scherff or retain RRH and Trevathan and Dix.

All I'm saying is Mitch needs to be pushed. OR pushed outta the way thru competition

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
All the mock drafts I have seen have no TE's in the first round so quit dicking around and use one of those in the second along with another Left Tackle. I like Cole Kmet from ND the guy can block and catch and I think would be a steal if he is there when we pick.

He's said he's coming back. He's also a baseball player

kg1187

Liked Posts:

You really want a repeat of this season? The past four games have been pretty easy for the most part and have people thinking Mitch is actually a decent QB.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Bears lose out for the remainder of this season.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You really want a repeat of this season? The past four games have been pretty easy for the most part and have people thinking Mitch is actually a decent QB.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Bears lose out for the remainder of this season.

I do not want a repeat of this season.

But what I really do not want is a repeat of this season with an additional 20 million spent at QB.

If you want to upgrade the QB spot than do it, but do not gut the team for the sake of Andy Dalton.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Dalton is a pretty big upgrade at QB imo. Pace has been decent at finding OL talent so sign a top 10-15 QB and dedicate a draft to OL including TE.

Andy Dalton is having a similar season in a dysfunctional offense in Cincy.

Is he 17 million better than Mitch?

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Andy Dalton is having a similar season in a dysfunctional offense in Cincy.

Is he 17 million better than Mitch?

That's the thing. Dalton, Keenum, Winston, Tannehill level guys cost 15-18 Mil/season (see Glennon, Keenum contracts). Bridgewater will cost 20+. With already 9M committed to Trubisky, who's going to get a chance to compete for the job if he's on the roster.....there's just not a lot of room for a QB of Dalton's caliber who may be marginally better than 2018 Mitch.....who wasn't good enough.

Best case scenario is Mariota taking a 1-year deal at 7-9Mil to get a chance to play for Helfrich in hopes of winning the starting job and playing well enough to earn a big pay day in 2021. But that's even a long shot.

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
My off season goal is to make it alive till the next football season

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
My no1 priority this offseason is to fix the OL. I think that starts with a coaching change but also includes drafting a tackle with one of those second rounders and making a run at an actual impact player in FA (Scherff/Thuney).

After that I change my mind almost weekly on what we should do. Not that it matters because I think there's close to zero chance that serious competition comes in for Trubisky. Of the three options, I rank them...

1) Draft a QB if one falls that you really like
2) Ride with Trubisky
3) Package up your 2nd round picks for a QB

4)Commit a huge amount of cap space on a journeyman QB, see them Foles it up, find out that Nagy still can't get out of his own way and watch the defense take another step back after Prince, Trevathan get cut.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Sign Keenum or Mariota for 5-8 million plus start bonus.

Draft someone in a legit round

Build the OL. A better OL will help whoever starts.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Windy, nice write up. I'm thinking of going through a similar exercise with my team...

Anyway, only one item I'd pick at:

Make the hard decisions on defense

It is probably time we talk about keeping Kwitkowski and letting Trevathan walk. Kwit has been very good since stepping in and seems to have taken a huge step in coverage. He is young, healthier, and cheaper than Trevathan and it seems that Roquan has come alive with a larger role.

I think Ha Ha has had a really good season, but they cannot afford to tie up that much money at S, because as bad a year as Jackson is having you are going to pay him in 2020 or 2021.

Prince is just not worth 9 million and they need to shift that money onto the offense or to Jackson.

Here's something I wrote in another thread:

LB has become a defense's version of a FB. When used right it's great, but realistically with it being a passing league and other players being able to do similar things (like hybrid safeties) having 2-3 stud LBs is a thing of the past.

What's wrong with going into the season with Roquon and add 1-2 other guys? Remember you are a 3-4, so technically you only need one more interior LB, who will be off the field a lot on long yardage situations.

Maybe here's another way of looking at this. Here's the starting LBs and there respective cap costs for 2019 for the top 5 teams in the NFL:

Patriots (10-1) - 4-3 base = Hightower ($10.9M), Collins ($3M), Roberts ($2M)
49ers (10-1) - 4-3 base = Greenlaw ($0.6M), Warner ($0.9M), Al-Shaair ($0.5M)
Ravens (9-2) - 3-4 base = Onwuasor ($3M), Bynes ($0.5M)
Saints (9-2) - 4-3 base = Davis ($8.5M), Alonso ($1.7M), Klein ($6M)
Seahawks (9-2) - 4-3 base = Kendricks ($3.6M), Wagner ($15.9M), Wright ($5.1M)

Here's some observations I can draw:

1 - Franchise tag number for the LB position is $15.4M. Only one team spent to that level (Seattle with Wagner)
2 - Of that list the two worst defensive rated teams (Seattle and NO) also spent the most on the position group.
3 - It appears rare for there to be more than one expensive LB on a team(Roquan's cap number will be ~$5M next year)

If Kwitkowski isn't cheap you gotta move on. There will be bargin LBs available. Tough to think of Chicago going cheap at the LB spot, but overall it's just the direction the NFL is headed.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Windy, nice write up. I'm thinking of going through a similar exercise with my team...

Anyway, only one item I'd pick at:

Here's something I wrote in another thread:

LB has become a defense's version of a FB. When used right it's great, but realistically with it being a passing league and other players being able to do similar things (like hybrid safeties) having 2-3 stud LBs is a thing of the past.

What's wrong with going into the season with Roquon and add 1-2 other guys? Remember you are a 3-4, so technically you only need one more interior LB, who will be off the field a lot on long yardage situations.

Maybe here's another way of looking at this. Here's the starting LBs and there respective cap costs for 2019 for the top 5 teams in the NFL:

Patriots (10-1) - 4-3 base = Hightower ($10.9M), Collins ($3M), Roberts ($2M)
49ers (10-1) - 4-3 base = Greenlaw ($0.6M), Warner ($0.9M), Al-Shaair ($0.5M)
Ravens (9-2) - 3-4 base = Onwuasor ($3M), Bynes ($0.5M)
Saints (9-2) - 4-3 base = Davis ($8.5M), Alonso ($1.7M), Klein ($6M)
Seahawks (9-2) - 4-3 base = Kendricks ($3.6M), Wagner ($15.9M), Wright ($5.1M)

Here's some observations I can draw:

1 - Franchise tag number for the LB position is $15.4M. Only one team spent to that level (Seattle with Wagner)
2 - Of that list the two worst defensive rated teams (Seattle and NO) also spent the most on the position group.
3 - It appears rare for there to be more than one expensive LB on a team(Roquan's cap number will be ~$5M next year)

If Kwitkowski isn't cheap you gotta move on. There will be bargin LBs available. Tough to think of Chicago going cheap at the LB spot, but overall it's just the direction the NFL is headed.

I agree. If Roquan is your star, I budget 4-5 million for the spot beside him. If Jackson is the star at safety, which I think he still is even with this ass season, then I budget 4-5 million beside him as well.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I agree. If Roquan is your star, I budget 4-5 million for the spot beside him. If Jackson is the star at safety, which I think he still is even with this ass season, then I budget 4-5 million beside him as well.

There are a ton of decent vet safeties who can be had for less than $4m. ILB is a bit thinner right now, but it's tough to imagine anyone is going to pay Kwiat more than $3m.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
There are a ton of decent vet safeties who can be had for less than $4m. ILB is a bit thinner right now, but it's tough to imagine anyone is going to pay Kwiat more than $3m.

I would try and keep Bush for 4 million a season ceiling. Kwit as well.

4 million seems to be the young starter floor at 2nd level positions.