Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
After our first big splash in FA, I felt the need to revisit the mock draft I keep in my sig. I wanted to give out my reasoning and see what everyone else thinks. Also, I provided some game tape at the end of each player. I prefer that to highlights, a you can get the full picture of how a player can be expected to perform. Unfortunately I am only allowed to include one video per post, so I have provided the links to the game tape for most of the draftees.

1(11): Emmanuel Ogbah, OLB, Oklahoma State

This is a mix of BPA and drafting on potential. The only other prospect that I would consider at this spot that I believe would be available is AShawn Robinson. Ogbah is a high ceiling pass rush prospect with prototypical size and speed. Chicago would also be a great fit because he can start across from McPhee, and would grow under one of the best DCs in the game. This would make Willie Young expendable, sure, but I am guessing that we would save that decision for training camp.

I am tempted to post a highlight reel for Ogbah, because hell you want to be hyped for your first pick. He had his best games this past year against Texas and West Virginia, but I couldn’t find the game tape for those ones. Here he is against Kansas State

2: Jason Spriggs, LT, Indiana

I really want a CB here, but I think there will be a run on them at the end of the first and start of the second round, making Spriggs the better value. That is okay, because we are getting a talented pass blocker who can step in if Leno struggles at the start of the season. He is a real athelete - a converted tight end who has gotten better every year. He has held his own against top notch opposition. Here he is vs Ohio State

3: Jihad Ward, DE, Illinois

A raw prospect who may have what it takes to contribute early. This priority may change if we sign Hicks, but I wouldn’t mind having Ward split time with Ferguson at DE while he earns his way into the starting lineup. If Ward can reach his ceiling, he will be a dominant player for us. On that note, I didn’t see game tape for Ward on youtube for the first couple pages, and then I got lazy. If anyone finds a full game for him, let me know!

4: Christian Hackenberg, QB

Finally, a landing spot for Hackenberg. I have seen him mocked in the 2nd round, but that was to the Texans, who just landed Osweiler. Hackenberg has the physical tools and with the right scheme and coach, but has played so inconsistently that he is going to slide in the draft. Is this practically Jay Cutler Round 2? Possibly, but considering that we are drafting him in the 4th, he will at least be far less controversial, with less pressure and (hopefully) the same offensive system for a few years in a row.Here he is against Ilinois

5: Jaylon Smith, ILB, Notre Dame

We all know how good he was when healthy, and we all know how bad his injury appears to be. I do not think anyone would take Smith until the last day of the draft at this point. Take him here and give him the Kevin White treatment. 5th round picks are usually expected to only see the field on ST, and we have plenty of late round picks to stock up. I don’t even really consider drafting an injured player at this point a risk. Here he is against USC

6: AJ Stamps, S

Here is someone I think could contribute on kick and punt return teams. We all want to project players based on their ability to start and hope for a diamond in the rough, but at this point you have to look for solid players. This guy fits the bill. Not a flashy player by any means but Here he is against Louisville.

6: Chris Brown, WR, Notre Dame

Another ND player, this time on offense. He has talent and size, and you keep so many WRs on your roster that it really is a good idea to just draft a new one every year. He is a willing blocker, and as he grows as an NFL receiver that could become a real asset for him. Here he is against Texas.

6: Andy Janovich, FB, Nebraska

He can run, he can catch, he likes to hit people. What else do you want in a FB? Fox likes having a stable of running backs, and having a lead blocker who can also be a short yardage back would be an overall benefit to the team. Having a FB who also acts as the 3rd RB sounds like a good use of a roster spot. The real question is, can he also play TE? I predict that he will also be the training camp hero.

You don’t want to watch a full game of a FB, you want to see him be a badass. I am using my one video on this guy [video=youtube;p6r7VgZvF-8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6r7VgZvF-8[/video]

7: Eddie Yarbrough, White Guy with no real position, Wyoming

McClellan is gone, so we needed a new white guy from the middle of nowhere who doesn’t really have a true position. He is an OLB/DE tweener with the size of someone you’d like to put at ILB. He can play ST and spell an OLB if all he is asked to do is blitz.

But seriously, I love the mountain west, they make tough people out there This is a defender that likes to hit people. He will play his heart out to make our practice squad. He doesnt have much game tape out there, but enjoy these clips of him against Nebraska

Were we to draft like this, on day 1 I would expect Ogbah to start, Ward and Janovich would see the field regularly, and Spriggs and Hackenberg would be primary backups at key positions.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
that may be really a bit high for Ogbah

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Jaylon Smith in the fifth round? He won't make it past the third round.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Your starting DL is

Ferguson, a guy who has shown little and gets hurt
Goldman, an emerging 2nd year player
Ward, a very raw prospect

That isn't going to work.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
that may be really a bit high for Ogbah
Some may call it a reach, but I think he has the tools to justify where we'd draft him

Your starting DL is

Ferguson, a guy who has shown little and gets hurt
Goldman, an emerging 2nd year player
Ward, a very raw prospect

That isn't going to work.

I did not mock the rest of FA. I know that the Bears have been attempting to sign Hicks, and I fully expect Pace to find someone in FA to replace Jenkins. I'd have Ferguson to start the season (who is young and growing) with Ward being the primary rotation end. Either way now that we signed Trevathan and Freeman, who are both good at coverage, Fangio may elect to pull a DL instead of a LB in nickle situations more frequently.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Some may call it a reach, but I think he has the tools to justify where we'd draft him

I did not mock the rest of FA. I know that the Bears have been attempting to sign Hicks, and I fully expect Pace to find someone in FA to replace Jenkins. I'd have Ferguson to start the season (who is young and growing) with Ward being the primary rotation end. Either way now that we signed Trevathan and Freeman, who are both good at coverage, Fangio may elect to pull a DL instead of a LB in nickle situations more frequently.

He always pulls a DL in nickle.

Right now the Bears struggle to stop the run, which is pretty much the death knell for any defense.

Ferguson was a high pick; but in 2 years has done little and has been injured every year. I am not sure that constitutes growing.

CAP BOSO

Liked Posts:
To me the choice is simple. A'Shawn Robinson is a grown ass man! We are thin on the DL and just invested in two really good LB's. We need to invest in a beast like A'Shawn that will demand attention, freeing up Trevathan and Freeman to do their work. A'Shawn is the closest thing I see to a sure thing in this draft.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
The video you link shows a 3rd round draft pick. No thnaks

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
I like Emmanuel Ogbah..he is a productive player on the stat sheet, but he is also very raw and disappears at times in the game. As another poster said, he may fall to the 2nd round.

Pending the acquisition of Hicks, I think the Bears are set up to take the BPA on their board regardless of position. Yes, there may be positions of higher need, but the need isn't high enough to pass up a great talent imo.

I think the sweet spot for the Bears to draft a competent D-Lineman will be in the 2nd round. Plenty of 1st round talent, without many sticking themselves far above the rest. I know it is a longshot, but I am really hoping for Vernon Butler to make his way to the 2nd round. I think 11 is too early for him, but would be willing to trade up in the 2nd to get him if he falls. At 6'4, 323 lbs, and 10 3/4th inch hands, he is bigger than Ashawn Robinson and provides an ability to rush. He could possibly play NT and move Eddie outside as is hoped for by many.

Also, Kenny Clark would be a great consolation pick in the 2nd if he fell as well. Great knowledge of the game and racks up tackles for a DT.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Even with Hicks we are razor thin at CB and an Antrel Rolle injury away from starting a dude off the street a SS.

CAP BOSO

Liked Posts:
I hope we go:

A'Shawn Robinson in the 1st
Mckenzie Alexander 2nd
Best DT on the board 3rd
Best Qb on the board 4th

Komodo Dragon

Liked Posts:
Even with Hicks we are razor thin at CB and an Antrel Rolle injury away from starting a dude off the street a SS.

At CB I wonder if Pace is kicking the tires on Casey Hayward or Patrick Robinson? And at safety David Bruton

CAP BOSO

Liked Posts:
Yeah I stand corrected. When I first read his projection they said he was late 1st early 2nd. I see they have him in the 20's now. So I stand corrected sir.