Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Since this board is swarming with mock drafts, I decided it was high time I threw my hat in the ring. I do not predict trades, this is only using the picks we have at this time. My overall plan is to get this team to take a step forward by bringing in young talent that will let us compete against our division opponents (Barkley almost pulled off the comeback upset against GB last year, and Cutler beat them on Thanksgiving the year before, so it isnt impossible). I also elected to not target a QB early, as I like next years fourth option more than this years first option. Similarly, when the rest of the team is talented, a young QB is more likely to succeed early (see Prescott). So without further ado:

1: Jamal Adams (S)

The only reliable way to make the playoffs is to win the division. To that end, Jamal Adams is the safety we need to beat GB. He can play in the box, cover TEs (which is doubly important now that GB has Bennett), and keep up with slot receivers on deep throws. He has the talent that could let him play single high as well, and so he has what it takes to be a combination SS-FS that will give expert QBs fits when making pre-snap reads. He is a field commander in the backfield, he is a good tackler with good fundamentals, and is a fantastic athlete. I say take him, give him #30 and let him remind us all of what a healthy Mike Brown did for us.

2: Evan Engram (TE)

We need a primary receiving threat who can command a double team, and in my mind getting a TE who can do that is doubly effective. Engram has that electric, game-changing ability that will cause DCs to focus on him. He is too fast and agile for the LBs in our division, and will force a safety to stay in the middle of the field and key on him. Our outside receivers should buy him dinner after every game, as they will face 1-on-1s on the outside constantly. And make no mistake, he can block too, so our running game doesn’t suffer from having a glorified WR at TE. With Engram, I’d honestly go to 2 TE sets as our base offense and let defenses guess if they will get destroyed by land or by air. Our play action game would be nuts.

3: Brian Hill (RB)

A RB in the third might be high for some folks, but he is a great talent here and would be a valued contributor to our team. With a strong running attack and an efficient passing game, our defense stays rested and is less likely to get beat by Aaron Rodgers. So why Hill? Because he is the same kind of player as Howard, and our offense would not skip a beat putting him in. He is a strong inside runner, agile enough to abuse a cutback lane, and swift enough to make plays on outside runs. It often takes more than one guy to bring him down Give him 15 carries to Howard’s 25 and we control the clock with 5 yards a pop all game. Given that strategy, we would only ask Glennon to drop back for the pass 20-25 times a game (we averaged 60 plays a game last year, and the average teams were in the 64 range). If the worst happens and Howard is out for several games, Hill can pick up the slack.

Had I not elected to take Hill here, this is a good spot to nab a CB. However, I am comfortable letting our current group of CBs battle it out and see who rises to the top.

4a: Brad Kaaya (QB)

This is where I see Kaaya’s draft value. The pick would be worth it just to knock the Butt Fumbler off the roster, and taking him here doesn’t preclude us from drafting a better QB next year. He will make good decisions with the ball when protected, and outside of inconsistent RT play we have a good OL. Backup QBs tend to be more popular than starting QBs here in Chicago, so I expect him to sell more jerseys than Glennon. He will have the opportunity to impress coaches to the point that they can elect to forgo drafting a QB next year.

4b: Jarron Jones (DL)

We need depth on the DL, period. Jones is going to fall in the draft because his college coaches had trouble keeping him motivated to improve in the offseason. Fangio will fix that, making this pick a steal. As we play with two down linemen for most of the game, he will mainly come off the bench and spell Hicks/Goldman while he gets stronger, and I see him being the third lineman we bring in to play 5-tech in 3-4 sets.

5: Jalen Robinette (WR)

In the 5th round you will have a hard time finding players who will contribute on more than just ST, but we will have a lot of competition for our WR corps this offseason. I can see Robinette challenging the veterans for playing time, as he is a tall outside receiver that will beat CBs on jump balls.

7: Darius English (OLB)

Like I said in the previous pick, you aren’t finding guys who will contribute on more than ST this late in the draft. English needs time to add strength before competing regularly on defense, but as this is a depth and ST pick, I like that we are finding an athlete. If he grows into his second and third year, it makes OLB less of a future need.

This does not solve every weakness on the team, as we still need to upgrade RT, in all likelihood could stand to improve at CB, and may be in position to get an even better QB at the top of the next draft. But with a strong running game, tough defense, and a QB that wont screw up, I think we can really turn the corner and be a competitive team again.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The no OT would be a bit concerning, but some are saying this is an awful OT class.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Yeah I would really love to walk away with a prospect to build up into our next RT, and originally had Erik Magnuson in the spot that I take Kaaya. But I had been internally waffling over the QB spot, as there is a lot to like out of the next group that should come out. In the end, I decided that Kaaya can beat Sanchez in camp, can come off the bench if needed and not screw up, doesnt force us to change up the game plan if Glennon goes down with an injury, and doesnt prevent us from drafting a QB next year.