Nagy on Trubisky: "I never get into mechanics."

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I get that there are position coaches, but that sounds strange coming from an offensive guru HC whose young starter struggles with accuracy: "How ever you throw, you throw."

I mean, this is probably Mitch's biggest problem...lol.
It's so great to see that the CCS Bears forum is blessed to have your expertise here to break it down for us. Thank you so much.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't get it. Had had a pretty good wonderlic. Comes from a good family background. Whats his deal?

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Mechanics are overrated. Some of the best QB's had shit mechanics and sometimes you cant be a damn robot in the pocket anyways

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I don't get it. Had had a pretty good wonderlic. Comes from a good family background. Whats his deal?

He's just not special, or extraordinary, like Watson or Mahomes. He had no real first off season, expected to ride the bench behind Glennon. Then he was put to task as a starter under Dowell Loggains/John Fox. He and Nagy had one so-so season their first year, and now teams are aware of their tendencies, and weaknesses, causing them to struggle. Expected, IMO. I also expect it to take a bit of time for them to find their counter, and hit a stride of some sort. Mitch is still learning, and so is Nagy. I understood this when Nagy was hired.

The play of other teammates this year has not helped. And the boost to the defense by Mack has ramped up the timeframe for many fans. I always felt the end of this season is when to really start thinking seriously about Mitch's future as a Bear.

To be honest, I knew the O would struggle early this year, and even felt there could be a chance of Mitch tanking. He hasn't yet ... so there's that, lol.

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
Mahomes has bad mechanics on a lot of throws (usually due to being pressured), the ball still gets there. All that matters.
Sc`rubisky aint Mahomes!!! I saw a break down video awhile back on how Sc`rubs hips and arm motion are out of sink on most of his throws hence his accuracy, distance and velocity are all effected. Sure you dont have to change a guys motions but if his fundamentals are a bit off there should absolulty be corrections made. This is very concerning and would explain a lot.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mechanics shmechanics

nAu7tx.gif

gQBoWA.gif

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Idk, I think the days of making your QB throw like a robot are long gone. QBs like Rivers, Rodgers, Mahomes, etc. have all shown that throwing the ball from different angles isn't a big deal, and sometimes can be helpful.
Ragone's job and it was obviously a thing for a while. Not really the HC's gig. I agree with you overall and wished they'd have left him alone other than telling him to stay on top of his throws.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Mahomes has bad mechanics on a lot of throws (usually due to being pressured), the ball still gets there. All that matters.
He is sooo cleaned up from what he was in college.

DeathByBears

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Idk, I think the days of making your QB throw like a robot are long gone. QBs like Rivers, Rodgers, Mahomes, etc. have all shown that throwing the ball from different angles isn't a big deal, and sometimes can be helpful.

And those are all pretty successful QBs so it’s working.

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:
In other words, fixing Mitch’s mechanics won’t fix his problem with, calmness in the pocket, reading a defense, throwing on time & throwing receivers open.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
“Run as much as you can, just don’t take extra hits,’’ Nagy said. “His legs are a huge weapon for us, so I’m an idiot if I take his legs away because there are a lot of quarterbacks that don’t have his legs. Trust me, go to the 31 other defensive coordinators and ask about how concerned they are about him running the football. It’s a weapon.’’

From this article...

The bold may be true, but ask those same 31 defensive coodinators how concerned they are about him THROWING the football and...?
Why doesnt Mitch run more then? I would argue it seems like Nagy is making him stay in the pocket(i use that term loosely with this o line) more this season.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Its the spiritual answer. You don't change somebodies mechanics especially at this level. You don't need a professional QB thinking about throwing, something they have excelled at their entire life.

nagy is a guru...he knows you leave some things alone and control what you can. I love his answer.

I agree with this.

Footwork would be the only thing we work on.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He's just not special, or extraordinary, like Watson or Mahomes. He had no real first off season, expected to ride the bench behind Glennon. Then he was put to task as a starter under Dowell Loggains/John Fox. He and Nagy had one so-so season their first year, and now teams are aware of their tendencies, and weaknesses, causing them to struggle. Expected, IMO. I also expect it to take a bit of time for them to find their counter, and hit a stride of some sort. Mitch is still learning, and so is Nagy. I understood this when Nagy was hired.

The play of other teammates this year has not helped. And the boost to the defense by Mack has ramped up the timeframe for many fans. I always felt the end of this season is when to really start thinking seriously about Mitch's future as a Bear.

To be honest, I knew the O would struggle early this year, and even felt there could be a chance of Mitch tanking. He hasn't yet ... so there's that, lol.
So this... and we're all disappointed to this point.

cubby chubby

Liked Posts:
DSM’s capacity to process quickly and instinctively is the real issue. It’s not a reflection of intelligence, wonderlic score, etc, more of a dna thing IMO. Mechanics would be easier to fix, not sure how to get Mitchell to improve on his instincts and processing. It’s almost like trying to teach someone without rhythm how to dance. I hope Nagy somehow finds a way but I wouldn’t bet my job on it.

Speed

Liked Posts:
Good QBs can make the throws period. Mahomes footworks still looks sloppy on some of his drop steps and he throws dimes. How much can he hold Mitch's hand and be obsessed with perfection? He spent an entire offseason working on footwork, if he's not getting it now, I doubt a lightbulb will just cut on just because the coach yelled at you to work on your footwork a bit more.

Last edited:

dennehy

Liked Posts:
The wonderlic just tests their ability to study and to understand concepts. There is no real way that I know of to test their spatial processing skills and their ability to make visual determinations and act on them correctly while under fire. It's why it's so difficult to predict their success - it's like an entirely different game from college for QBs.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He had a 25 which is not special. QB average is 24 so clearly not a negative either. Wonderlic is more of a precautionary test that value added one. That said, Lamar Jackson had a 13 and seems to be doing fine.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Again Mitch's problems is mental i dont know why he seems less certain this year but you can tell he is timid now. Maybe some guy with a scottish accent kept calling him telling him that he sucks everyday