Nerd Help!

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
So, I have Charter cable down here in dumb southerner land. I pay a ridiculous amount for phone, cable, and internet. Almost 260 a month. Im thinking of switching to AT&T bundle which would be 170 a month. I have fiber optics laid in my neighborhood so I would be getting that internet plus there big cable package. Call me old fashion plus phone.

My question, is fiber optic really all it cracked up to be? Should I look at something else? Is cable internet better? Im not a tekkie. Let a bro know.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Fiber optic and cable should perform the same. However, fiber can reach up to 10 gbps while cable is limited to 2 gbps. Do you really need that much speed? For me, I would look to be somewhere around 1 gbps, then it would be all about price.

Call both companies and tell them you are a new customer and that you are leaning in the direction of the other technology. You want them to quote their best price with any introductory offers as price is an issue for you. Then when the offer is almost over you want them to extend the original deal. Then rinse and repeat every time the original offer expires. That should save you $400 a year.. Mention that you know me and that will help.

Last edited:

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So, I have Charter cable down here in dumb southerner land. I pay a ridiculous amount for phone, cable, and internet. Almost 260 a month. Im thinking of switching to AT&T bundle which would be 170 a month. I have fiber optics laid in my neighborhood so I would be getting that internet plus there big cable package. Call me old fashion plus phone.

My question, is fiber optic really all it cracked up to be? Should I look at something else? Is cable internet better? Im not a tekkie. Let a bro know.

Unless you have fiber wired in your home, this is the same AT&T uVerse setup as they've had for a decade or more.

They run fiber to boxes in the neighborhoods and then the normal copper wire (coax) to the house and in the house.

Nothing wrong with it, but it won't be anything wildly special that cable can't do.

Comcast has Gigspeed (1 Gpbs = 1000Mbps) offerings on their copper lines as well.

Basically you're looking at switching over to same internet service, different TV service, for 90$ less a month.

I'd say it depends on if you like their TV package/service, or if it is good enough to save the 90$ a month vs w/e you have now.

And one last note for you and anyone else who it might help....

The unit of measurement for internet speed is in bits.... Megabits, Gigabits.... 1000 Mbps or 1 Gbps

You will see data generally measured in BYTES.... a MegaByte and a Megabit are two different units of measurement.

1 BYTE = 8 bits.... 1 MegaByte = 8 Megabits

They advertise in bits because the numbers are larger and it sounds better, but when you download stuff it is measured in BYTES, not bits.... in the nomenclature they sometimes signify this with lower case for bits and upper case for Bytes.

1 MBps = 8 Mbps

So if you have 1 Gbps internet and you want to download a 10 GB file = 80 gb, in theory it will take 80 seconds, not 10.

And so help me God if one of you tech elders brings up the 1024 multiples and complains it isn't multiples of 10s and confuses the plebs, I will beat you with a 1994 Gateway monitor.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Go Rogue.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Unless you have fiber wired in your home, this is the same AT&T uVerse setup as they've had for a decade or more.

They run fiber to boxes in the neighborhoods and then the normal copper wire (coax) to the house and in the house.

Nothing wrong with it, but it won't be anything wildly special that cable can't do.

Comcast has Gigspeed (1 Gpbs = 1000Mbps) offerings on their copper lines as well.

Basically you're looking at switching over to same internet service, different TV service, for 90$ less a month.

I'd say it depends on if you like their TV package/service, or if it is good enough to save the 90$ a month vs w/e you have now.

The unit of measurement for internet speed is in bits.... Megabits, Gigabits.... 1000 Mbps or 1 Gbps

You will see data generally measured in BYTES.... a MegaByte and a Megabit are two different units of measurement.

They advertise in bits because the numbers are larger and it sounds better, but when you download stuff it is measured in BYTES, not bits.... in the nomenclature they sometimes signify this with lower case for bits and upper case for Bytes.

1 MBps = 8 Mbps

So if you have 1 Gbps internet and you want to download a 10 GB file = 80 gb, in theory it will take 80 seconds, not 10.

And so help me God if one of you tech elders brings up the 1024 multiples and complains it isn't multiples of 10s and confuses the plebs, I will beat you with a 1994 Gateway monitor.
omg NERD

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Go Rogue.
I’m gonna try this out. I’m not locked into a contract. Don’t like it then I may switch to the Hulu package for like 70 a month. My friend said it was the best thing he ever did

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

1 MBps = 8 Mbps

Thanks my man

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fiber optic and cable should perform the same. However, fiber can reach up to 10 gbps while cable is limited to 2 gbps. Do you really need that much speed? For me, I would look to be somewhere around 1 gbps, then it would be all about price.

Call both companies and tell them you are a new customer and that you are leaning in the direction of the other technology. You want them to quote their best price with any introductory offers as price is an issue for you. Then when the offer is almost over you want them to extend the original deal. Then rinse and repeat every time the original offer expires. That should save you $400 a year.. Mention that you know me and that will help.
What do you go by? Three finger death grip?