NFL adding a 7th seed to the playoffs

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I like the idea that we can hope a little longer..... :)

But seriously, the NFL is competitive enough that it is not impossible that one of those teams wins a SB.

The article points out that only 1 team since 1990 with a losing record would have made the playoffs in a 14 team format.

I like it...

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
maybe they can go to 16, have top 2 teams in each division play eachother and give a trophy, then lowest vs highest division champ can play, then the last 2 winners play for the conference title.
I am guessing the rest of the teams can get participation ribbons for the season until they let everyone in the playoffs.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
This 7th seed isnt going to have a losing record. They will be the 3rd WC team, which means they have AT LEAST the 7th best record in the conference. Likely a better or equal record to one of the division winners.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
This 7th seed isnt going to have a losing record. They will be the 3rd WC team, which means they have AT LEAST the 7th best record in the conference. Likely a better or equal record to one of the division winners.
But there is always a possibility.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Division winners are much more likely to have a losing record than the 3rd Wild Card team. This is fine.

Anything that hopefully gets the Bears in the dance more often is O.K. in my book. I’m fine with “diluting” the postseason, to that end.

BBBF

Liked Posts:
So technically an entire division could make the playoffs, yes?
Hmm... They would have to split their division games and win non- conference as well as the rest of the conference splitting their games + losing to the other conference. Might be technically possible though

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
This is such an amazing money grab by the owners.

Fun fact: The NFL makes by far the most money off playoff games. They pay per player $28-124K game depending on if it's wild card, conference championship or Superbowl games.

Think about that for a second. The largest game day cost for any team is their players. Your franchise QB that makes $30,000,000/year or $1,870,000/game in the regular season only costs you $28,000 for a playoff game. That same playoff game has the best gate sales and exposure then any game throughout the year. With every playoff game your team wins the gate revenue and exposure grow exponentially while your costs are still way less than a typical season game.

So many fans jumped on this item of the Collective Bargaining Agreement thinking 'more football means everyone wins!!!'. The truth is that the owners disproportionately benefit from each playoff game, whereas the players do get an additional game day check, but for the top 20% of the league that check is far less than their negotiated per game rate.

mecha

Liked Posts:
maybe they can relocate more teams for no reason too while they're at it.

are we getting rid of kick returns too because Devin Hester dominated the league too hard for about 2 years?

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
This is stupid. Who wants to see some 7-9 team in the playoffs?

Actually I've seen teams with winning records not make it bcuz of tie breakers etc. Didn't Smith have a winning record and not get in.

The last two games of the season were must win to make the playoffs. The team did just that. After starting 7-1, the 2012 Bears finished 10-6. The only way they could make the playoffs was if the Packers could beat the Vikings Week 17. Everyone knows the story, the Vikings shocked the Packers in overtime to take the wildcard spot.

With the expanded playoffs......maybe this doesn't happen in the future.

Last edited:

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
This is such an amazing money grab by the owners.

Fun fact: The NFL makes by far the most money off playoff games. They pay per player $28-124K game depending on if it's wild card, conference championship or Superbowl games.

Think about that for a second. The largest game day cost for any team is their players. Your franchise QB that makes $30,000,000/year or $1,870,000/game in the regular season only costs you $28,000 for a playoff game. That same playoff game has the best gate sales and exposure then any game throughout the year. With every playoff game your team wins the gate revenue and exposure grow exponentially while your costs are still way less than a typical season game.

So many fans jumped on this item of the Collective Bargaining Agreement thinking 'more football means everyone wins!!!'. The truth is that the owners disproportionately benefit from each playoff game, whereas the players do get an additional game day check, but for the top 20% of the league that check is far less than their negotiated per game rate.
Maybe you should buy a team then. What’s wrong with a company making money? The players agree to it. Move on

Last edited:

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
2019: 9-7 Rams
2018: 8-7-1 Vikings
2017: 9-7 Lions
2016: 9-7 Bucs
2015: 8-8 Falcons
2014: 10-6 Eagles
2013: 10-6 Cardinals
2012: 10-6 Bears
2011: 8-8 Bears
2010: 10-6 Giants