NFL has suspended full time referee program

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Due to “labor negotiations”. It’s astonishing with the amount of revenue the NFL takes in they can’t pay the referees.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Never understood why people think making refs full time will make them able to see plays better...

Reactions: Myk

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
This one really boggles the mind. Multi-million dollar investments in players and billions in stadiums and they don't want competent referees??? For pennies on the dollar?

Get the fuck out.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Never understood why people think making refs full time will make them able to see plays better...

full time, as in year-round employees. as in using the offseason to improve rather than bagging groceries?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
penny wise...

Visionman

Liked Posts:
full time, as in year-round employees. as in using the offseason to improve rather than bagging groceries?
First, most of them are lawyers and the like. Second, how do they improve? By learning the rules better? They already know the rules. By watching game tape? They already do that too.

People act like this is some magic pill that will instantly make the officiating come in line with their vision of what it should be. It isn't.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Yeah, how could that be better than having some 60 yr old judge do this as his side gig?

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Yeah, how could that be better than having some 60 yr old judge do this as his side gig?
And how does it make them see things better if it's not just a side gig? Or do you think there are a bunch of eagle-eyed wanna be refs sitting on their couches at home just waiting for the NFL to Be willing to pay them enough...

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
And how does it make them see things better if it's not just a side gig? Or do you think there are a bunch of eagle-eyed wanna be refs sitting on their couches at home just waiting for the NFL to Be willing to pay them enough...

Yeah, perhaps the NFL should start culling their refs from the astronomy field and other occupations (radiology?) where "seeing things" is really important.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
First, most of them are lawyers and the like. Second, how do they improve? By learning the rules better? They already know the rules. By watching game tape? They already do that too.

People act like this is some magic pill that will instantly make the officiating come in line with their vision of what it should be. It isn't.

wut

nobody is acting like its magic. Just that it is better than the alternative. why the fuck are you all bent about this?

Visionman

Liked Posts:
wut

nobody is acting like its magic. Just that it is better than the alternative. why the fuck are you all bent about this?
I'm not. Just wanting to hear actual explanations of exactly how it would be better. Most ppl don't have valid reasons that I've heard.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
NFL always got refs from respected fields like doctors and lawyers and such....seems like they got guys that wanted to do it and it wasn't for the money.

They went to full time refs and last year they fired a guy in the middle of the season because he sucked....first time I've seen that.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
However, Seifert noted the league's decision to shelve the full-time program for now "will have minimal impact on officiating this season" as most full-time officials' responsibilities pertain to the offseason.

Guess I dont really care as above does not tell me anything about what they do in offseason that improves their ability to officiate a game. Now if you telling me they spending 40 hours a week training that is one thing. If you telling me they still work their regular job but then watch a few hours of tape a week then not sure that moves the needle in the grand scheme of things.