Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
And how does it make them see things better if it's not just a side gig? Or do you think there are a bunch of eagle-eyed wanna be refs sitting on their couches at home just waiting for the NFL to Be willing to pay them enough...
Maybe if they didn't spend 40 hours a week listening to drunk and disorderly disputes or domestic violence cases they could be reviewing reels and reels of previous play calls, especifically those that were questionable, and discussing how it should have been called or maybe paying some shlub ex college QB and a few WR wannabees to run patterns and practice their positioning to see the play better.

If I am part owner of a multibillion dollar industry, I think I would spend what amounts to pennies on the lowest level employee influencing the golden egg production so as to not have him kill the fucking goose. It

Last edited:

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
"Based on the new contract between the NFL and the NFLRA signed in September 2012, NFL referees will earn an average of $173,000 in 2013, and move up to an average of $205,000 by 2019."

Wonder how many games that covers? Including preseason, regular season and playoffs maybe around 30? That's not to shabby.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
"Based on the new contract between the NFL and the NFLRA signed in September 2012, NFL referees will earn an average of $173,000 in 2013, and move up to an average of $205,000 by 2019."

Wonder how many games that covers? Including preseason, regular season and playoffs maybe around 30? That's not to shabby.

That's what I was waiting to see. How much are they currently getting paid? How much of a hit are they taking by going to "part time" status? Are they losing benefits?

I mean, we're not talking about going from full time to part time at Pizza Hut....lol

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Maybe if they didn't spend 40 hours a week listening to drunk and disorderly disputes or domestic violence cases they could be reviewing reels and reels of previous play calls, especifically those that were questionable, and discussing how it should have been called or maybe paying some shlub ex college QB and a few WR wannabees to run patterns and practice their positioning to see the play better.

If I am part owner of a multibillion dollar industry, I think I would spend what amounts to pennies on the lowest level employee influencing the golden egg production so as to not have him kill the fucking goose. It
There is the rulrs committee and a head of officiating that tell the officials how to interpret certain rules. That is where most of the complaints are.

The officials do watch film and review questionable or wrong calls. But if you think watching film is going to help them see more when out on the field live...

The NFL only has a fraction of the games the other professional leagues do, plus a LOT more action to watch for each official. It is just plain harder, and there is no real way to fully prepare for it, even if you have the full offseason to do so.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
There is the rulrs committee and a head of officiating that tell the officials how to interpret certain rules. That is where most of the complaints are.
Most of the complaints about bad calls are directed towards the rules committee? Are you serious?
The officials do watch film and review questionable or wrong calls. But if you think watching film is going to help them see more when out on the field live...
So you are saying the time they spend after a game review the bad calls they as a crew made is just as good as would be all officials gathering and refining their craft by spending all week as a group reviewing and discussing what was right and what was wrong about every game call?
The NFL only has a fraction of the games the other professional leagues do, plus a LOT more action to watch for each official. It is just plain harder, and there is no real way to fully prepare for it, even if you have the full offseason to do so.
So the answer to a more complex job is to spend less time training for it.

I must say that is some pretty sound logic you have there.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats

I believe it's for 20 games. 4 preseason + 16 regular season. And I know you get a bonus if you work the Super Bowl, not sure about the other playoffs games or the Pro Bowl.

EDIT: Actually I went back and looked and there are 17 referee crews, so at least during the regular season there's always one crew off. But then you figure bye weeks, and then they're down to 14 crews needed - so I guess figure anywhere between 14-18 games worked, excluding playoffs.

Last edited:

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Most of the complaints about bad calls are directed towards the rules committee? Are you serious?
So you are saying the time they spend after a game review the bad calls they as a crew made is just as good as would be all officials gathering and refining their craft by spending all week as a group reviewing and discussing what was right and what was wrong about every game call?
So the answer to a more complex job is to spend less time training for it.

I must say that is some pretty sound logic you have there.
Go back and read again. Try to understand this time. Thanks.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
A lot of assumptions in this thread. Unless we get info on what they actually do in offseason as full timers, not much to debate.

NFL had full time referees the last few years and some on this board have argued officiating has gotten worse not better.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I understand what you were saying in that post, but you're not accounting for how much rope the rules committee gives each crew on their own philosophies.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
What's to understand? You think spending less time trying to get better at a job is better than spending more time trying to get better at it.
That line of "logic" defines the opposite of what logic is.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
What's to understand? You think spending less time trying to get better at a job is better than spending more time trying to get better at it.
That line of "logic" defines the opposite of what logic is.
No, I think just doing something for the sake of doing something is a waste of time, and money, and doesnt address the real issues.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
No, I think just doing something for the sake of doing something is a waste of time, and money, and doesnt address the real issues.
And pray tell, what are those "real issues?"

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
What's unfortunate is that I certainly have an idea of what you're arguing, you're just doing it in a shitty way.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I'm on his ignore list, so he won't see this, but let me try to de-gimp his words:

He's arguing that because the rules committee wants referees to call things in a certain way it's unfair to criticize individual referees for making mistakes on calls. However, he's not taking into account that while the NFL wants "it called this way," that doesn't mean every official will always see the individual play the way we see it.

To give a slight example. A few years ago, every level of basketball but the NBA instituted a rule about the defender having hands on the ball handler (I think it was when it was in the paint, but I'm not too sure the specifics. Guys like @zack54attack @FirstTimer or @bamainatlanta can probably remember this better). Well all it did was cause free throw contests, because the refs were calling it the way the NCAA wanted them to call it. Coaches and commentators weren't giving shit to the individual referee crews, but to the NCAA. So much so that they scrapped the rule halfway through the season.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I'm on his ignore list, so he won't see this, but let me try to de-gimp his words:

He's arguing that because the rules committee wants referees to call things in a certain way it's unfair to criticize individual referees for making mistakes on calls. However, he's not taking into account that while the NFL wants "it called this way," that doesn't mean every official will always see the individual play the way we see it.

To give a slight example. A few years ago, every level of basketball but the NBA instituted a rule about the defender having hands on the ball handler (I think it was when it was in the paint, but I'm not too sure the specifics. Guys like @zack54attack @FirstTimer or @bamainatlanta can probably remember this better). Well all it did was cause free throw contests, because the refs were calling it the way the NCAA wanted them to call it. Coaches and commentators weren't giving shit to the individual referee crews, but to the NCAA. So much so that they scrapped the rule halfway through the season.
I get the catch rule changes have been a cluster fuck, but who among us wouldn't quit their job tomorrow to take a $175-200k/yr job to pal around NFL players and coaches, travel the country, stay in posh hotels and eat at the best restaurants? There would be no shortage of willing and able well educated individuals to put in extra work and do it year round that I believe would improve the on field calls, crew continuity, and decision making. Add an eye in the sky official with buzz down capability on all plays but with an egregious missed call threshold and I could fix the majority of reffing issues in 2-3 seasons.