Now that the season is over

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Personally like his bat how about you?

Know nothing on him myself.

My reaction was

1. Market sucks.
2. MLB Seems kick the tires vs mad rush.
3. Someone for Darvish to hang with.

The rest of it feels safe. So why not really.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Huge implications if Bryant wins his case, though there's no reason to think he will--the Cubs followed every jot and tittle of the CBA. Service time manipulation is squarely within the rules that the union agreed to.

If by some chance he won though, Bryant would become a FA after next season, instead of after 2021. That would significantly cut down the potential return he would bring in a trade (the receiving team would only get him for one season vice two). The Cubs might then view it as a better option to sign Bryant long-term and perhaps shop Baez instead (Baez has two years of control left no matter what).

Steve_A

Liked Posts:
Huge implications if Bryant wins his case, though there's no reason to think he will--the Cubs followed every jot and tittle of the CBA. Service time manipulation is squarely within the rules that the union agreed to.

If by some chance he won though, Bryant would become a FA after next season, instead of after 2021. That would significantly cut down the potential return he would bring in a trade (the receiving team would only get him for one season vice two). The Cubs might then view it as a better option to sign Bryant long-term and perhaps shop Baez instead (Baez has two years of control left no matter what).

Wouldn't it be the reverse?
Sign Baez to an extension and trade Bryant no matter what?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
He won't win that.

Steve_A

Liked Posts:
He won't win that.
Not related to the above comment but I kinda understand your point that
not much will change in the off season now, especially with Ross being the manager.

I guess it'll be a continuation of the old plus a partial tear down because
Theo is probably thinking of handing his job over to Jed with wiggle room to do his own thing.