Now that the season is over

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Javier Baez – $9.3MM let MLB in opposite field power numbers, .360 anytime he hit a fair ball. 6/100 anyone?

He is going to make more than 16.6M AAV on the open market.

Cubs have 2 years. So 9.3 and say 15 for arguement sake.

Open market he is 25AAV. so 9.3/15/25/25/25/25=124.3M. And that is just because the Cubs have 2 years of power.

I went with 8/200 because that includes a bonus of 50M. That gets paid after the deal to knock down the AAV to 18.75.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
He is going to make more than 16.6M AAV on the open market.

Cubs have 2 years. So 9.3 and say 15 for arguement sake.

Open market he is 25AAV. so 9.3/15/25/25/25/25=124.3M. And that is just because the Cubs have 2 years of power.

I went with 8/200 because that includes a bonus of 50M. That gets paid after the deal to knock down the AAV to 18.75.

Yeah, in three years. Next years arby number would be at 13 or 14, so your 25k per comes out to 124. He can also have a fatal injury and never get to 25. He might do nothing but swing at balls in the dirt next year. People forget about that.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Yeah, in three years. Next years arby number would be at 13 or 14, so your 25k per comes out to 124. He can also have a fatal injury and never get to 25. He might do nothing but swing at balls in the dirt next year. People forget about that.

Sometimes you go with what you know.

2 years 5+ WAR over a compete season.
SS D improved to all star quality D.
Team leader.
Back to back all star.
Still young.

If teams went by what you posted no one would be tendered. Manny Machado under performed year 1 but shit happens. You judge at the end not year 1.

Even Heyward. If he rebounds back to that 5 WAR talent then all of a sudden that contract looks good at 20M per right now. And honestly if Joe would have stopped tinkering with him leading off he could have put up a nice year vs nose diving like Schwarber and Happ did

So I'm not concerned with Javy. He has more talent in his fingernail than most human ever can hope for.

Castor76

Liked Posts:

Any player at any time can have a "fatal" injury so every contract is suspect in that right. And that .360 number you keep putting out there is a Sex Panther stat.

Steve_A

Liked Posts:
Sometimes you go with what you know.

2 years 5+ WAR over a compete season.
SS D improved to all star quality D.
Team leader.
Back to back all star.
Still young.

If teams went by what you posted no one would be tendered. Manny Machado under performed year 1 but shit happens. You judge at the end not year 1.

Even Heyward. If he rebounds back to that 5 WAR talent then all of a sudden that contract looks good at 20M per right now. And honestly if Joe would have stopped tinkering with him leading off he could have put up a nice year vs nose diving like Schwarber and Happ did

So I'm not concerned with Javy. He has more talent in his fingernail than most human ever can hope for.
Heyward probably won't get back to a 5 war player though right?

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
What do the Cubs do at 2nd base? Surely Hoerner needs a veteran backup in case he struggles, right?

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:

Deja Vu. We have this conversation every offseason. "If Heyward can just get back to ..... "

Like a gambler who tells himself he just needs to get back to break even.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
What do the Cubs do at 2nd base? Surely Hoerner needs a veteran backup in case he struggles, right?
I'm a Whit Merrifield fan. Howie Kendrick is making himself some money this post season, thought i don't know how much he can play 2B anymore. Neil Walker was only 2 M last year and he's been a Cub killer for years.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Most likely not. But he had 3 months that he hit over .300. then Joe tossed him under the lead off bus.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'm a Whit Merrifield fan. Howie Kendrick is making himself some money this post season, thought i don't know how much he can play 2B anymore. Neil Walker was only 2 M last year and he's been a Cub killer for years.

Scooter G. Low value bounce back type. Shouldn't cost much and can lead off.

But honest prediction. Theo sticks with Delcaso and points to his injury as the root cause. So IMO non move.

Castor76

Liked Posts:

But honest prediction. Theo sticks with Delcaso and points to his injury as the root cause. So IMO non move.

I agree. Unless Theo gets the okay/mandate to majorly shift the paradigm, this team will have little change in the position players. I think if they found a consistent .340 OBP at lead off, they'd run with it.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I agree. Unless Theo gets the okay/mandate to majorly shift the paradigm, this team will have little change in the position players. I think if they found a consistent .340 OBP at lead off, they'd run with it.

Ya. I'm not sure what to make out of Nico and Happ yet. I would prefer 1 unknown vs 2 going into 2020. But I could see Happ in CF and Nico at 2B. Happ actually brought a plus D value. Heyward ran a dislike D value in CF. So the over all D suffered.

IMO too risky.

But if they sign Ross to manage then I expect 2020 to be a transition year. If Joe signs then they are planning on competing.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:

If they don't make some significant changes, there isn't much point in watching in 2020. Just going to see the same results.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
If they don't make some significant changes, there isn't much point in watching in 2020. Just going to see the same results.

Changes such as? Let's hear some specifics.

To be fair, I'm in the call up Boston and see if they have interest in Sale for Quintana as Boston is looking to unload payroll to help keep Betts camp. It might be a pipe dream, but it's an idea.

Then I have stated before I'd like to see them go after Merriman from KC. Not sure what it would cost in prospects. Possibly Happ and 1 or 2 more, if it's even possible.

Then it's hope that Nico could move to CF and continue to grow.

Rotation would be Darvish, Sale, Hendrix, Lester, and Chatwood.
Line up of Merriman, Bryant, Schwarber, Baez, Rizzo, Contreras, Heyward, and Hoerner.

Last edited:

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Changes such as? Let's hear some specifics.

1) A good leadoff hitter who can set the table for our 2, 3, 4 hitters.
2) A starter, doesn't have to be Cole but it needs to be a dominant SP
3) Fix bullpen

Castor76

Liked Posts:
1) A good leadoff hitter who can set the table for our 2, 3, 4 hitters.
2) A starter, doesn't have to be Cole but it needs to be a dominant SP
3) Fix bullpen

Specifics? Who would you like to see them target? Pointing out the problems the team obviously had but offering no real fix does nothing.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Specifics? Who would you like to see them target? Pointing out the problems the team obviously had but offering no real fix does nothing.

Does it matter if I give specific names? Is Theo reading the board?

We are message board posters. None of us are fixing anything.

Steve_A

Liked Posts:

Please anyone other than Descalso...
Don’t like Scooter but at least he has some upside...

Steve_A

Liked Posts:
Ya. I'm not sure what to make out of Nico and Happ yet. I would prefer 1 unknown vs 2 going into 2020. But I could see Happ in CF and Nico at 2B. Happ actually brought a plus D value. Heyward ran a dislike D value in CF. So the over all D suffered.

IMO too risky.

But if they sign Ross to manage then I expect 2020 to be a transition year. If Joe signs then they are planning on competing.
What are your thoughts on if Loretta gets the job?