Now that the season is over

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I'd be open to trading Bryant, but I'd want the return to be worth it. No real idea what that would be. In a package for Syndergaard? Go crazy for DeGrom? It's always in what's the get back. If you told me they were doing a semi-blow up and rebuild with some arm prospects coming back, I wouldn't whine.

This has been the best 5 year stretch the Cubs have had in my life. I got to see a title. Two more years before I really start bitching.
sounds like the 5 years ago plan.

Remember, the cubs had the plethora of position players and the Mets had what was thought of as too many arms?

They need to do their due diligence with Bryant. Get a real number on what he is going to want back. Realize he is probably not going to play for Maddon on his next team anyway, but the chances are pretty good that he might being the Phillies and Padres are being named and the Padres still have the best system. I guess that would tell us if KB really wants to be a little league all over the diamond guy or if he will actually demand to stay at third base. 300 million got shortstop out of Machados mind.

There is just so much that is unknown with the new manager. I think David Ross would make a bunch of guys want to stay, if Loretta is promoted, not so much. Pretty much feel its going to be an entirely new staff next year.

Guys with a 24.5 WAR over what almost 4 playing years, playing injured are not easy to replace, especially when you wont see those prospects right away.

I still think you can get Baez bought out of arby with 140 or so, dont know what Rizzo would want but probably deserves the 200 range. They gotta push back some of these free agents to the Hendricks time frame at least so this 2020 2021 is not such a mess.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
This isn't going to be popular but if we are going to trade someone it ought to be Baez. I don't think his current success is sustainable and combined with his high K rate and low walk rate, once he regresses it will be dramatic. Right now you can get a haul of young pitching for him.

If you make this move you can move Hoerner to SS.

Salary should decrease by quite a bit next year with a few moves. Don't resign Hamels, let Q walk, and Lester salary goes down quite a bit. You can bring up Alzolay and possibly Mills and sign a top tier FA pitcher. Rotation would be: Darvish, Hendricks, Lester, Mills, Alzolay, FA pitcher

Lineup wise next year:

Rizzo,
Castellanos (resigned)
Bryant
Schwarber
Contreras
Heyward
Hoerner
2b - Happ, Russell, FA (Scooter Gennett?)
Pitcher

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
This isn't going to be popular but if we are going to trade someone it ought to be Baez. I don't think his current success is sustainable and combined with his high K rate and low walk rate, once he regresses it will be dramatic. Right now you can get a haul of young pitching for him.

Salary should decrease by quite a bit next year with a few moves. Don't resign Hamels, let Q walk, and Lester salary goes down quite a bit. You can bring up Alzolay and possibly Mills and sign a top tier FA pitcher. Rotation would be: Darvish, Hendricks, Lester, Mills, Alzolay, FA pitcher

Lineup wise next year:

Rizzo,
Castellanos (resigned)
Bryant
Schwarber
Contreras
Heyward
Hoerner
Pitcher
Horner has a noodle arm and doesn’t come close to being as good at SS at Baez. Even if Baez bat regresses at the ripe age of 27, he was a top SS that could win a gold glove this year.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
No chance am I trading Baez. Hoerner doesn't have the arm for short. He's a second baseman.

greg23

Liked Posts:
boy....alot of bad scouts here.

Hoerner projects as a 2b not someone who should be replacing a gold glove/mvp caliber ss

Everyone loves Castellanos and he's been great....but i think Boros will be looking for a TON of money for him (he's already said as much) and i dont think he'll be worth the value....would rather spend more and get someone like Rendon.

Trading Bryant is a tough one and i'd only do it for another superstar and only if bryant isnt open to resigning

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Horner has a noodle arm and doesn’t come close to being as good at SS at Baez. Even if Baez bat regresses at the ripe age of 27, he was a top SS that could win a gold glove this year.

some people are saying Hoerner should be playing CF, I kinda agree with the noodle arm there, like the throw Almora tried to make yesterday.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

Lineup wise next year:

Rizzo,
Castellanos (resigned)
Bryant
Schwarber
Contreras
Heyward
Hoerner
Pitcher
Horner has a 2B arm.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
1. Trade Russell, Amaya, Alozay, Davis for Lindor.
2. Trade Bryant to reboot the farm.
3. Sign Ryu as a #2 starter.
4. Resign Castellanos.

Line up
1. Lindor SS
2. Castellanos RF
3. Rizzo 1B
4. Baez 3B
5. Schwarber LF
6. Nico 2B
7. Heyward CF
8. Contreras C

Bench
Caratini C
Short UI
Happ IF/OF
Kemp IF/OF

Rotation
Yu
Ru
Hendricks
Q
Lester

Long relief
Mills
Ryan
Chatwood

Set up
Weick
Wick
Underwood

Closer
Kimbrel

Leaves 2 spots if the 26 happens. I personally would go 2 pen arms.

So they need play makers on this team and watching Bryant be a wall flower and going to get seriously over paid is just bad baseball mentality.

Too many times he will go 1-4 with 1 HR 1 walk and 3 SO'S. Then he will have a great game then go back to his 3 SO avg.

Baez and Nick are spark plugs that are up there to get something going. You want more of it.

Lindor and his 2 years of control is a solid IF upgrade to Bryant. He is a winner and will mix in better with the dynamic on hand.

Everything else I've seen makes the team weaker.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hamels was killing it before he got injured. He is not the long term answer but I would at least make him an offer.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Legit lol'd.

You haven't been around for awhile but he's been doing this for days. Convinced that GM's are falling over themselves to get at the Cub's overstock of shit.

And of course, we got the other imbecile that thinks the Cubs would win 100 games with a new manager.

It's a mad scramble to see who can look more inane than the previous guy.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Hamels was killing it before he got injured. He is not the long term answer but I would at least make him an offer.

You are correct, sir. That injury fucked him up. You drop 5 MPH off your fastball and the change up you live off of really starts looking fat. He'll be 36 by the time ST starts, so I doubt he will be getting any huge offers. Maybe a prove yourself sort of deal laden with incentives.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Legit lol'd.

How so.

D replacement at SS
Top 100 prospect that plays good D at the hardest D position in baseball. And he frames well and has a power stick.
Alozay. We have seen his potential.
Davis. Not the catcher but the Cubs #3 prospect who might end up another Eloy.

For 2 years of Lindor.

That is accually a haul. I was thinking that it might be a over payment giving up 2 guys that have or are on the top 100 and a 3rd that is on the rise and most likely breaks the top 100.

It is for 2 years of control.

Not to mention Russell who has been a All star and might bounce back. Signs were showing a bounce back before the head shot.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
You are correct, sir. That injury fucked him up. You drop 5 MPH off your fastball and the change up you live off of really starts looking fat. He'll be 36 by the time ST starts, so I doubt he will be getting any huge offers. Maybe a prove yourself sort of deal laden with incentives.

Age is not his friend. When you have a deep market like this year you invest into the rotation vs put a band-aid on again.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
You haven't been around for awhile but he's been doing this for days. Convinced that GM's are falling over themselves to get at the Cub's overstock of shit.

And of course, we got the other imbecile that thinks the Cubs would win 100 games with a new manager.

It's a mad scramble to see who can look more inane than the previous guy.

More input from the strait man. Another fan boy that believes that prospects have no trade value unless they are on the top 50. Rest are garbage.

Here is the thing.

Cleveland has been selling off their team. Mkay.

They even took on a D hack from SD and a thug who might end up behind bars on assalt one day in return.

We are talking about a team that does questionable trades as is.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
Just an observation when it comes to Top 100 prospects. There are 30 teams in baseball with roughly 100 minor league players each. Even if you wanted to cull out 1000 of them as no longer being able to be considered a prospect for various reasons, that leaves 2000 who are. So if a player is Top 100, that's top 5%.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Just an observation when it comes to Top 100 prospects. There are 30 teams in baseball with roughly 100 minor league players each. Even if you wanted to cull out 1000 of them as no longer being able to be considered a prospect for various reasons, that leaves 2000 who are. So if a player is Top 100, that's top 5%.

I wouldn't have included Davis but South Bend just won their championship and he played a big part of it. So the scouts are onto him and his .305/.381/.525. and this kid is 6'3" and has size to gain still.

That is a big reason why teams would be looking at him. Just look at Eloy. Skinny 15 YO that put on size and went top 10 with a simmiler skill set.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
How so.

D replacement at SS
Top 100 prospect that plays good D at the hardest D position in baseball. And he frames well and has a power stick.
Alozay. We have seen his potential.
Davis. Not the catcher but the Cubs #3 prospect who might end up another Eloy.

For 2 years of Lindor.

That is accually a haul. I was thinking that it might be a over payment giving up 2 guys that have or are on the top 100 and a 3rd that is on the rise and most likely breaks the top 100.

It is for 2 years of control.

Not to mention Russell who has been a All star and might bounce back. Signs were showing a bounce back before the head shot.

That's just not how trades work in the real world. You can't replace quality with quantity, and you're arguing the Indians are going to trade two years of an MVP in his prime without getting a single top 10 prospect in return. The Cubs had to part with Jimenez and Cease for Quintana. What you're proposing is just nuts and the Indians would never do it.