Off season F/A

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Post here for guys that you feel would be a good fit for 2014. I'll start with 2 that I believe could be good short term assets. Nate McLouth in LF. He would platoon with Junior Lake. 2nd little controversial but bring back Byrd for CF. might catch hell but he did just hit 24 HR's last year and is a year removed from PED's. and we all know what he brings to the team as a player.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Post here for guys that you feel would be a good fit for 2014. I'll start with 2 that I believe could be good short term assets. Nate McLouth in LF. He would platoon with Junior Lake. 2nd little controversial but bring back Byrd for CF. might catch hell but he did just hit 24 HR's last year and is a year removed from PED's. and we all know what he brings to the team as a player.

It wouldn't be stellar moves, but if I had to do a short term maneuver, I would get Beltran on a 2 year deal to play CF even at his age, and Mike Morse to play LF. That would be the power around Rizzo. Then let Junior lake platoon with Schierholtz in RF. This keeps the Cubs on the cheap because those two would roughly cost 16-18 million for both annually, and they could still make a move for Tanaka.

If the Cardinals re-sign Beltran, I might look to David Murphy from Texas to play LF and Byrd (ouch) to play CF as option #2. Can't get much cheaper than that.

Hey! It isn't as if the Cubs are going anywhere next year anyways. Right? :popcorn:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I was looking at Morse yesterday. It would depend on the medicals with him. Now what you suggest it would push Lake to platoon in RF. not sure if he is ready for that challenge with the shadows. Then add in Beltrain coming over in a overhaul playing a spot where he has not played for a few years. Too boot would the Cubs make the investment needed to attain both? I do not so I posted 2 low investments. Out of your 2 Mike is doable in LF. His value is low ATM after his wrist injury and as we saw with Baker they are not afraid of the gamble.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
I was looking at Morse yesterday. It would depend on the medicals with him. Now what you suggest it would push Lake to platoon in RF. not sure if he is ready for that challenge with the shadows. Then add in Beltrain coming over in a overhaul playing a spot where he has not played for a few years. Too boot would the Cubs make the investment needed to attain both? I do not so I posted 2 low investments. Out of your 2 Mike is doable in LF. His value is low ATM after his wrist injury and as we saw with Baker they are not afraid of the gamble.

It all depends on how cheap they go in the pitching department too. If they go with Arrieta, Shark, Jackson, Wood (extension), I can truly see the Cubs making a push for Ricky Nolasco (intriguing) and re-signing Baker also to possibly flip for prospects later. Can't have too much pitching.

The Cubs are going to hammer the pitching out first, then move on to the position players.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It all depends on how cheap they go in the pitching department too. If they go with Arrieta, Shark, Jackson, Wood (extension), I can truly see the Cubs making a push for Ricky Nolasco (intriguing) and re-signing Baker also to possibly flip for prospects later. Can't have too much pitching.

The Cubs are going to hammer the pitching out first, then move on to the position players.

That is why I wanted them to go cheap so they could be a real player for Tanaka. They need an ace. They have Baez close and more talent behind him. I wouldn't invest on a bat over a #1 starter.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
And Ricky is ok if we are talking about a 3-4 on a contender. I would put him into a bad use of resources. As Jackson was.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Lake doesn't necessarily need to be a platoon player. He can play a lot of positions effectively and he could be used as a super utility player. That would get him at least 4 days worth of ABs per week.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lake doesn't necessarily need to be a platoon player. He can play a lot of positions effectively and he could be used as a super utility player. That would get him at least 4 days worth of ABs per week.

Yeah, but he said he's retiring as an infielder.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I read that also. His skill set is more suited to the OF. I was contaplating if he was ready for a full time gig and kept on thinking about Rizzo's sophomore slump. Nate and Junior in LF just makes sense to me right now hitting between Castro and Rizzo.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Yeah, but he said he's retiring as an infielder.
I bet he'll change his mind when he realizes utility would get him on the field more right now (read as not in future years). Look at a player like Zobrist. TB uses him in RF, 2B and I have seen him over at SS once in a blue moon. That's valuable. A RH platoon OF is worth much less, imho.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It was not his decision. He has been retired as an IF. His D has allways been his lacking.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
And platooning him in LF against LH pitching nets him how many AB's a week? Not enough.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It has more to do with putting him in favorable situations. That is what is happening right now in LF. What we are talking about is UPG Bog with McLouth vs depending on Lake as a full time player in LF. To be honest a year ago he was not in the plans. He played himself into this situation. Performance will dictate his playing time. But LF full time going into the season is a gamble I'll bet they pass on. Like him but be real about it. He is not at vet status and a proven product.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
It wouldn't be stellar moves, but if I had to do a short term maneuver, I would get Beltran on a 2 year deal to play CF even at his age, and Mike Morse to play LF. That would be the power around Rizzo. Then let Junior lake platoon with Schierholtz in RF. This keeps the Cubs on the cheap because those two would roughly cost 16-18 million for both annually, and they could still make a move for Tanaka.

What? Morse is probably a minimum $8 and could go as high as $12 and Beltran this past year got $13. Carlos would probably take a 1-2 year deal but at least $13 million per.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
What? Morse is probably a minimum $8 and could go as high as $12 and Beltran this past year got $13. Carlos would probably take a 1-2 year deal but at least $13 million per.

I agree. They could sign Byrd on a 2 year 15 mil deal. McLouth has been predicted at Dejesus' salory with the Cubs in a platoon. 2 year 10-12 mil. Those 2 deals would fill needs and give flexability as youth filters up. It also adds Byrd's club house leadership that he showed before that will be needed with the kids upwelling. Pretty win won and the fans know what Byrd brings to the team.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I'd probably look to sign omar infante from the tigers. He's making $4 mil this year so presumably he'll be cheaper. He's not a wow type signing but he is a plus defender and a much better hitter than Barney. I have also suggested they should sign Haren so I'm not going to get into that here. Tanaka is another more obvious option. They probably need 2 more OF's as well. Lake hits lefties well so presumably you can get him enough ABs with Schierholtz and the other 2 OFs on days off. Neither Choo nor Dejesus hit lefties particularly well. Even if they go after someone else like Crisp I would expect Lake to see more than a minimal amount of ABs.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'd probably look to sign omar infante from the tigers. He's making $4 mil this year so presumably he'll be cheaper. He's not a wow type signing but he is a plus defender and a much better hitter than Barney. I have also suggested they should sign Haren so I'm not going to get into that here. Tanaka is another more obvious option. They probably need 2 more OF's as well. Lake hits lefties well so presumably you can get him enough ABs with Schierholtz and the other 2 OFs on days off. Neither Choo nor Dejesus hit lefties particularly well. Even if they go after someone else like Crisp I would expect Lake to see more than a minimal amount of ABs.

I don't see that happening with Baez and Bryant incoming with Castro and Rizzo locked up. Barney looks like Baez's placeholder. Waste of resources

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The only corkscrew I see is if Olt can figure himself out this offseason. He will be in Az. Working with the Cubs instructors. I'd give him B. Jackson's chances at this point but talent wise he has the potential to force a job opening and hold it after the upheaval is over.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I don't see that happening with Baez and Bryant incoming with Castro and Rizzo locked up. Barney looks like Baez's placeholder. Waste of resources

Which part? I assume you mean Infante. If so, there's a possibility Bryant ends up in RF and Baez at 3B. Additionally, there's no guarantee either will be major league ready when they come up. I don't really see how $5 mill/year for say 2-3 years is that big of a deal. At the very worst you can move on from barney and have a quality back up.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
It has more to do with putting him in favorable situations. That is what is happening right now in LF. What we are talking about is UPG Bog with McLouth vs depending on Lake as a full time player in LF. To be honest a year ago he was not in the plans. He played himself into this situation. Performance will dictate his playing time. But LF full time going into the season is a gamble I'll bet they pass on. Like him but be real about it. He is not at vet status and a proven product.
What you posted makes sense. Great point.

Status
Not open for further replies.