CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Whew… not much going on in the BBQ thread these days.

Since I’m currently dating a Brazilian… I felt it was finally time I cooked Picanha. (Ok.. maybe she pressed the issue a bit, by buying a couple of them and telling me to cook them 😂)

Anyways… due to its size, I knew I wasn’t just gonna toss that bad boy on the grill so I sous vide it first. I cooked it in the water bath for 6hrs at 131°. Then I removed it and seared it on the BGE until done. Because of the sous vide method, the Picanha was extremely most and it encouraged flair ups in the grill. For the seasoning, I was restricted to salt only. (I snuck in some pepper when she wasn’t looking) I used a specific salt that tastes the same as the kind you would get at a Brazilian steakhouse. It’s like salt concentrate. lol. Anyways. The results were great! (Even though I didn’t cook it in the “traditional” Brazilian fashion of just throwing it on an open grill, standing around it with a group of friends and constantly just cutting pieces off to eat while it cooks. ) Anyone else cook one of these before? What method do you use? My girl has said that once it warms up outside, she (we) will be cooking it the “traditional” way. lol

View attachment 34885
View attachment 34886
Looks mighty tasty. I haven't tried picanha yet, but have heard good things.

Nice work.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My condo association banned the usage of charcoal because "insurance costs" and "people being stupid".

I've been robbed of my meat smoking hobby until I can sell this place and move.

When I gtfo of here I will post them first smoked meats, but it'll be a while :(

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I've made it a few times sous vide. I think around 130 for 4 hrs if I remember correctly. Cast iron sear. Definitely enjoyed it.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My condo association banned the usage of charcoal because "insurance costs" and "people being stupid".

I've been robbed of my meat smoking hobby until I can sell this place and move.

When I gtfo of here I will post them first smoked meats, but it'll be a while :(
Man… that fkn sucks.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Not too much grilling this winter, but did a NY Strip last night for Valentines. Had some Tiger Shrimp, Asparagus with fresh grated parm and sweet potatoes. Going out for Valentines is over rated.

I also have a salmon filet in the fridge that I want to salt cure and smoke. I've never cured and smoked one before so if anyone has any experience with Salmon let me in on your secrets. Costco got me with a well priced wild caught one and I am thinking about a bagel and lox sort of situation although I do not think that is typically smoked.