Official CCS Grillmasters thread

theCHI_Life84

Liked Posts:
gonna grill ribs tomorrow. any tips on dry rubs? i usually marinate the night before with my wifes own recipe, which is great, but i want to try a dry rub.

i dont have a smoker, so just gonna have to settle for low-heat mesquite charcoal. pork spareribs is the cut.

Utahbullsfan

Liked Posts:
Defrost frozen corndogs, pizzas, burritos in the microwave and then grill em they are damn good

GaelicSoxFan

Time Lord
Donator
Liked Posts:
Last week I grilled some lamb chops at my dad's house. They were awesome.

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Last week I grilled some lamb chops at my dad's house. They were awesome.

I've never tried lamb chops. What would you say they taste like, or do they have their own unique flavor?

Utahbullsfan

Liked Posts:
My wifes family roasts full Lamb over coals on a spic-it damn good shit

GaelicSoxFan

Time Lord
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've never tried lamb chops. What would you say they taste like, or do they have their own unique flavor?

They have their own unique flavor. Lamb is pretty pricey (even more expensive than veal), but worth it. The only seasoning it really needs is garlic salt and black pepper.

GaelicSoxFan

Time Lord
Donator
Liked Posts:
My wifes family roasts full Lamb over coals on a spic-it damn good shit

th_thats_racist.gif

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
They have their own unique flavor. Lamb is pretty pricey (even more expensive than veal), but worth it. The only seasoning it really needs is garlic salt and black pepper.

Thanks. I'll definitely have to try it next time I want to grill out.

theCHI_Life84

Liked Posts:
lamb has kind of a "gamier" flavor (i think thats what its called...) but some people dont like it because of that. personally, i love it.

Jysen

I Want To Believe...
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, lamb is definitely an aqquired taste. Ive only gotten to have it twice, and that was at Outback in the form of lamb chops. OMG that shit was amazing, and the texture was like steak. Damnit, now I wanna go there again.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Just did ribs on Saturday morning. I use a dry rub to start, basically I use off the shelf mix of four or five different rubs which is whatever "attracts" me to it.

Then I laid them into my brand new rib racks for Father's Day (yes, I bought them for me). I removed one of my grill grates and used an aluminum tray and wood chunks to smoke the ribs between 225-250 for just short of 6 hours. I would have smoked it longer, but it was time to go to a party.

At the party, I brushed BBQ sauce and cooked for about 5-7 min per side on low to medium heat on the gas grill.

I'm fatter now.

derosabomb

Joecawks is a dope
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
Just did ribs on Saturday morning. I use a dry rub to start, basically I use off the shelf mix of four or five different rubs which is whatever "attracts" me to it.

Then I laid them into my brand new rib racks for Father's Day (yes, I bought them for me). I removed one of my grill grates and used an aluminum tray and wood chunks to smoke the ribs between 225-250 for just short of 6 hours. I would have smoked it longer, but it was time to go to a party.

At the party, I brushed BBQ sauce and cooked for about 5-7 min per side on low to medium heat on the gas grill.

I'm fatter now.

sounds fucking amazing... you get a thanks for making me hungry as shit for ribs at 8am

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Ok. It's 6 am. I've been out already now just sitting on my couch with three racks of baby backs and two bacon and red onion stuffed Briskets on my gas grill smoking for the next five hours (woke up late)

Hope to have some prep pics posted soon

Last edited:

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
This is going to be a LONG!! post. But I want to show you the work I am doing.
Let's get this started. Here is a picture of two briskets. Got them at Caputo's in Naperville.

mini-DSCI0368.jpg

I stood them up and with a sharp knife carved out a pocket and stuffed them with thick cut bacon (about 3/4 of a pound) and a red onion loosely chopped. They were too big to sew shut (thought about kite string, but then I thought about melted nylon - eww) Made a few cuts into the fat and put some fresh cracked black pepper and fresh sea salt onto both meats.

mini-DSCI0369.jpg

I then took out three slabs of ribs (Food4Less in Joliet) and dry rubbed them with a mixture of texas BBQ, Cajun, and BBQ dry rub. I am not particular about my dry rubs. Whatever I see on the shelf that I think will taste great I go with.

mini-DSCI0370.jpg

here is my grill. It's a five burner grill with a rotisserie (never ever will use that) as well as a side burner. I upgraded the side burner to an infrared burner. Totally recommend that for anyone that likes steakhouse beef. I can cook a burger in two minutes, or a steak in four.

mini-DSCI0371.jpg

You want your grill temperature between 225-250. I have burners 1 and 5 lit

mini-DSCI0373.jpg

I remove one of my four grates and use double up foil trays that go right onto the smoking grates. I am using a hickory wood chunk to start, but will add hickory wood chips as it progresses.

mini-DSCI0374.jpg

I place a tray under the middle two grates to help keep the meat from drying out.

mini-DSCI0376.jpg

For Father's Day, I bought myself two rib racks. They are awesome. Today they will not only hold the ribs, but the briskets as well.

mini-DSCI0377.jpg

The meat never is over the heat source. It rests over the middle three burners.

mini-DSCI0378.jpg

OK, the food has been smoking now for about 1:45. I will make a check to see if any additional wood is needed. BTW, I do not soak my wood. It really didn't add that much weight to it or keep them smoking longer or better as far as my attempts went.

Should have more pics later! Stay tuned!

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
The smoke was a bit slow, so I places a single wood chunk outside of the container. Whoops, the grill went up to 400 degrees.

mini-DSCI0379.jpg

I was able to move some to a clay fired flow pot base.

This is after 2.5 hours of smoking.

mini-DSCI0380.jpg

As you can see, the bacon is coming along perfectly in the brisket, onions probably won't caramelize since the heat never gets too bad. Ribs looking great too.

mini-DSCI0381.jpg

In the nest round of pics I'll show you my version of BBQ sauce (made from scratch) for my first glazing than a shot of what I do for the second glazing.

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Looks delicious, man. I'll be grilling up some kielbasa(Polish sausage), burgers, hot dogs and steak in a couple hours. Can't wait!

Angel

Liked Posts:
Brett, I would crash your damn cookouts man! Lol

My girl is mexican so our cookouts are usually mex style. Arrachera/skirt steak marinated with lime, adobo, maybe a bit of beer/tequila

Grilled chiles stuffed with chihuahua cheese

Grill up some corn then throw on some butter, grated parmesian cheese and chilli powder

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Brett, I would crash your damn cookouts man! Lol

My girl is mexican so our cookouts are usually mex style. Arrachera/skirt steak marinated with lime, adobo, maybe a bit of beer/tequila

Grilled chiles stuffed with chihuahua cheese

Grill up some corn then throw on some butter, grated parmesian cheese and chilli powder

My wife is Mexican too. Never had Mexican food til I met her. Heck, wouldn;t even use black pepper, too spicy. Now, I eat habaneros

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
OK, Here's my last post with pics.
I do a double glaze on my ribs. Here's what I use as my first BBQ sauce

mini-DSCI0382.jpg

One Roma tomato and four habaneros grilled in a pan

mini-DSCI0383.jpg

I get them a little brown. Now some will say you peel all that burned part off. They are DEAD WRONG! I add it to a blender and here's the results

mini-DSCI0385.jpg

As you can see, the stuffed briskets have come out nice

mini-DSCI0386.jpg

I move them to the top rack to keep them warm

mini-DSCI0387.jpg

The ribs are ready for their first glaze You can see they are so tender they are falling apart while I move them with tongs

mini-DSCI0389.jpg

After about 10 min on low heat for the first glaze, I top the ribs off with basic Open Pit and another 10 min on low.

mini-DSCI0392.jpg

Last shot of one of the finished briskets.

mini-DSCI0391.jpg

Enjoy your BBQ today everyone!