Official CCS Grillmasters thread

bobferg

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

good work Brett.

I did all my grilling yesterday. Stuffed burgers for lunch and some big ass steaks for dinner. Today is my best friend's birthday, so the day is always spent being American with him. Unfortunately he is not much of a grill guy, so what we eat is usually burned hotdogs and medium to medium well store bought burger patties.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
OK, Here's my last post with pics.
I do a double glaze on my ribs. Here's what I use as my first BBQ sauce

mini-DSCI0382.jpg

One Roma tomato and four habaneros grilled in a pan

mini-DSCI0383.jpg

I get them a little brown. Now some will say you peel all that burned part off. They are DEAD WRONG! I add it to a blender and here's the results

mini-DSCI0385.jpg

As you can see, the stuffed briskets have come out nice

mini-DSCI0386.jpg

I move them to the top rack to keep them warm

mini-DSCI0387.jpg

The ribs are ready for their first glaze You can see they are so tender they are falling apart while I move them with tongs

mini-DSCI0389.jpg

After about 10 min on low heat for the first glaze, I top the ribs off with basic Open Pit and another 10 min on low.

mini-DSCI0392.jpg

Last shot of one of the finished briskets.

mini-DSCI0391.jpg

Enjoy your BBQ today everyone!

You should get the CCS Grillmaster award for this.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Man those briskets look so good. No idea what I'll be getting at my bbq today, but if it's half as good as those look (I doubt anyone I knew is a grillmaster) I'll be a happy man.

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm a grilling apprentice, I may post some pics later in the day. :)

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
OK, so here's what happened (grab a tissue if you got one).

I was done, had everything wrapped in aluminum foil and set the over to 175 to keep things warm while I took a shower, got dressed, and into the car with the family.

I hit Bake instead of On for the oven. It beeped at me and I hit the On button. Unfortunately it went back to the default temperature of 350. I didn't even notice until I took the food out. 30 min at 350. :(

The ribs weer still tender and yummy. The brisket was dry. I will try it again though.

Last edited:

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
OK, so here's what happened (grab a tissue if you got one).

I was done, had everything wrapped in aluminum foil and set the over to 175 to keep things warm while I took a shower, got dressed, and into the car with the family.

I hit Bake instead of On for the oven. It beeped at me and I hit the On button. Unfortunately it went back to the default temperature of 350. I didn't even notice until I took the food out. 30 min at 150. :(

The ribs weer still tender and yummy. The brisket was dry. I will try it again though.
Aw man that sucks. But now you will never forget to check the temperature again...

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
Any time you use a marinade (I like to use low-sodium Dale Sauce on steaks) use a fork to poke small holes all throughout the meat. That way while it marinates it seeps into the meat.

And don't be afraid to cut a piece of meat open to make sure it's cooked to desire. The only thing worse than overcooked meat is severely undercooked meat.

Poking holes in meats prior to grilling is the quickest way to dry them out. You want your natural juices contained. I'll sear my steaks for about a minute in a very hot pan, then toss them on....seals in the blood...lol,

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Speaking of hot pans...

If you ever want to make a steak that tastes just as good as off the grill, but you're out of charcoal / gas / it's raining outside / whatever...Here's what you do:

1. Take your steaks out of the fridge and allow them to come up to room temp. For this method, I like to use ribeyes...somewhere between 3/4 - 1" thick.

2. Turn your on your oven, set it at 500 degrees. Put a heavy duty cast iron skillet in there and allow it to preheat with the oven.

3. Lightly coat the steaks with oil (vegetable, canola etc). Season with kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper on both sides. The oil is there primarily to help the spices stick and get a good sear on the meat.

4. Turn your stove burner on high.

5. Take the cast iron skillet out of the oven and place on the burner. Make sure you have good oven mitts, because that fucker will be very, very hot.

6. Put the steaks into the cast iron skillet. Allow them to sear for 1 full minute. Do not move them, no matter how tempting it may be. The smoking / sizzling is normal. Flip it over, allow it to sear for 1 minute on the other side.

7. Flip it back over to the original side you seared, and put the whole cast iron skillet with the steaks into the oven (which should still be on and at 500 at this point).

8. Wait approximately 2.5 minutes, pull the cast iron skillet back out, flip the steaks, return to the oven for another 2.5 minutes. 2.5 minutes per side generally will get you to a medium-rare steak depending on the thickness of the cut. Ovens can vary too. Just experiment with it a little and you'll be able to nail it every time if you keep track of your sear and cook times.

9. Remove from the oven and immediately wrap the steaks in foil. It would be a good idea to have a plate or something underneath them because some juice will probably seep out of the foil.

10. Allow them to rest for at least 5 minutes. This is important.

11. Eat the shit out of the steak.

I can't remember where I got this from originally, I think it was a cooking show or something...but they come out great this way. I've done it at least 5 times like this and haven't been disappointed yet and I'm a total die hard grill guy.

R_Mac_1

Liked Posts:
I actually did my first smoke the other day on my offset grill/smoker.

Spare ribs, cut St Louis style with Oakridge brand rub.
IMAG0134.jpg

About 2 hrs in on the smoker, using hickory and running about 250*. The other things on there are ABTs. Stuffed jalapenos (I just used jack cheese this time) wrapped in bacon.
IMAG0135.jpg

Finished product after 5.5 hrs.
IMAG0138.jpg

IMAG0136.jpg

They were good. My next smoke is going to be a Boston Butt for some pulled pork.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Nice!

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
Speaking of hot pans...

If you ever want to make a steak that tastes just as good as off the grill, but you're out of charcoal / gas / it's raining outside / whatever...Here's what you do:

1. Take your steaks out of the fridge and allow them to come up to room temp. For this method, I like to use ribeyes...somewhere between 3/4 - 1" thick.

2. Turn your on your oven, set it at 500 degrees. Put a heavy duty cast iron skillet in there and allow it to preheat with the oven.

3. Lightly coat the steaks with oil (vegetable, canola etc). Season with kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper on both sides. The oil is there primarily to help the spices stick and get a good sear on the meat.

4. Turn your stove burner on high.

5. Take the cast iron skillet out of the oven and place on the burner. Make sure you have good oven mitts, because that fucker will be very, very hot.

6. Put the steaks into the cast iron skillet. Allow them to sear for 1 full minute. Do not move them, no matter how tempting it may be. The smoking / sizzling is normal. Flip it over, allow it to sear for 1 minute on the other side.

7. Flip it back over to the original side you seared, and put the whole cast iron skillet with the steaks into the oven (which should still be on and at 500 at this point).

8. Wait approximately 2.5 minutes, pull the cast iron skillet back out, flip the steaks, return to the oven for another 2.5 minutes. 2.5 minutes per side generally will get you to a medium-rare steak depending on the thickness of the cut. Ovens can vary too. Just experiment with it a little and you'll be able to nail it every time if you keep track of your sear and cook times.

9. Remove from the oven and immediately wrap the steaks in foil. It would be a good idea to have a plate or something underneath them because some juice will probably seep out of the foil.

10. Allow them to rest for at least 5 minutes. This is important.

11. Eat the shit out of the steak.

I can't remember where I got this from originally, I think it was a cooking show or something...but they come out great this way. I've done it at least 5 times like this and haven't been disappointed yet and I'm a total die hard grill guy.

Great recipe, number 10 ties in w/the not poking holes rule...internal juice re-distributes when it sets.

R_Mac_1

Liked Posts:
Spent about 13 hours cooking a Boston Butt last night/this morning. Gonna eat it in a little while.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
Hey all,

Have a few spare minutes to share as well, thanks to all that have contributed...awesome tips etc.

The best BBQ by far I have ever eaten was in Florida, at a customer's Christmas party. It was a freshly bow-hunted wild boar, cooked head and all on a split 40 gallon drum grill over wood charcoal. Ever since then, I have been trying to replicate it. I have a gas, but I only use it for fish or other light meats. I have a good old Weber dedicated and aged for steak, ribs, burgers, and beer can chickens. Lump wood charcoal is available at many home supply stores...Menards in particular. It has it's own unique flavor, similar to a campfire....

Barbecue Charcoal: Lumpwood Or BBQ Briquettes?

I use starter sticks(usually 3 set in a triangle pattern)as opposed to lighter fluid(f that shit)...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41MzylrAF4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Then I use either apple/cherry/or pecan wood chips to enhance smoke flavor, also available at many home supply stores...Meijer's is a good place to find these in the Chicago area.

Happy grilling!

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Hey all,

Have a few spare minutes to share as well, thanks to all that have contributed...awesome tips etc.

The best BBQ by far I have ever eaten was in Florida, at a customer's Christmas party. It was a freshly bow-hunted wild boar, cooked head and all on a split 40 gallon drum grill over wood charcoal. Ever since then, I have been trying to replicate it. I have a gas, but I only use it for fish or other light meats. I have a good old Weber dedicated and aged for steak, ribs, burgers, and beer can chickens. Lump wood charcoal is available at many home supply stores...Menards in particular. It has it's own unique flavor, similar to a campfire....

Barbecue Charcoal: Lumpwood Or BBQ Briquettes?

I use starter sticks(usually 3 set in a triangle pattern)as opposed to lighter fluid(f that shit)...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41MzylrAF4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Then I use either apple/cherry/or pecan wood chips to enhance smoke flavor, also available at many home supply stores...Meijer's is a good place to find these in the Chicago area.

Happy grilling!

Chimneys work great too for getting natural lump / briquettes going without messing w/ lighter fluid (which I despise):

How to Use a Chimney Charcoal Starter | BBQ Buff