Official CCS Grillmasters thread

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Any time you use a marinade (I like to use low-sodium Dale Sauce on steaks) use a fork to poke small holes all throughout the meat. That way while it marinates it seeps into the meat.

And don't be afraid to cut a piece of meat open to make sure it's cooked to desire. The only thing worse than overcooked meat is severely undercooked meat.

Southpaw24

Your worst nightmare
Liked Posts:
I never use any actual recipes always just go with what I think will taste good. And I dont have a traditional bbq either I have a traeger wood pellet bbq/smoker. it is awesome, it basically works like a convection oven/bbq/smoker

Southpaw24

Your worst nightmare
Liked Posts:
Any time you use a marinade (I like to use low-sodium Dale Sauce on steaks) use a fork to poke small holes all throughout the meat. That way while it marinates it seeps into the meat.

And don't be afraid to cut a piece of meat open to make sure it's cooked to desire. The only thing worse than overcooked meat is severely undercooked meat.

disagree with the first thought, when you poke holes in meat you release the juices from within the meat making it drier than it should be. the only reason to poke a hole in your meat is to put a thermometer in it

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
disagree with the first thought, when you poke holes in meat you release the juices from within the meat making it drier than it should be. the only reason to poke a hole in your meat is to put a thermometer in it

agree to disagree...I've had great success with it...tried it both ways...

maybe I'm doin' it wrong...or right? hah

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:

This works for me as well, X. Too many times I've been at a friend's place grilling and they didn't check to see if it's done. Just based it off of how it looked on the outside. Turned out to be raw inside. Poking holes works wonders with marinades as well. :woot:

Southpaw24

Your worst nightmare
Liked Posts:
your best bet to telling the doneness of a cut of meat is to use a thermometer though.. different cuts of meat will colour differently which can make it hard to tell if it is done

X

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
your best bet to telling the doneness of a cut of meat is to use a thermometer though.. different cuts of meat will colour differently which can make it hard to tell if it is done

this is true...but I don't have a meat thermometer...haha

HighJump31

N7
Donator
Liked Posts:
i use my meat thermometer every night in deweys wife to make sure shes still alive.

ns9zl.jpg

Gunzaan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I am by no regards a grill master, nor do I claim to be... but I definately agree with both points. For a long time, I was under the impression that poking holes in the meat would release most of it's juices... and I find that to be true if I'm using a dry rub or just some salt/pepper, but if I marinade, I always poke holes in it... it seems (to me) to work better... I mean, you are adding more liquids to the meat, no?

And if I have any questions on whether the meat is done or not, I will cut it open. I really don't cook big pieces of meat that require a meat thermometer, so I could really care less if it has a slice in the middle to see if it is medium or rare :)

Gunzaan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would also like to add that when I grill, I fully utilize the top tray of my grill with foil + butter/spices + veggies or potatoes, etc.

I love buttery, grilled side items with my grilled meat :)

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Filet skirt steak tenderized by the machine

Adobo oregano and lime both sides. Refrigerate at least 12 hours. (steak is cooked if u want seviche)

Grill over hot fire. Serve with fresh salsa or fresh poco de gallo with tortillas and chihuahua cheese

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Never ever cut for fineness on beef. If u can't do it by touch then you're a green BBQ maker

+1 to this. On top of that, don't even cut into it until it's had a chance to rest for at least 5 mins post cooking (you can wrap it in foil to retain heat). The reason being, it gives the juices a chance to settle and be retained by the meat. Don't believe me? Cut into a steak right after its done and watch how much liquid comes out. Then try my method.

A quick tip on the whole "touch" thing. Pinch your hand in the meaty part at the base of your thumb and forefinger. That's about how medium rare should feel (for most people's hands anyways).

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

Adobo oregano and lime both sides. Refrigerate at least 12 hours. (steak is cooked if u want seviche)

Grill over hot fire. Serve with fresh salsa or fresh poco de gallo with tortillas and chihuahua cheese

Damn, that sounds great. I need to get back here when I have some time to post some shit...way too busy lately!

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

sounds like a winner to me

theCHI_Life84

Liked Posts:
i can never ever cook chicken right, chicken legs in particular. i know chicken takes a bit longer because it has to be cooked all the way through. i make small cuts into the meatiest part of the the leg before i grill, but they always come out undercooked even though the outside is fully charred. i typically use a charcoal grill, and used varying heat levels but i just cant seem to find the right situation.

one thing i learned from a buddy recently when grilling chicken, instead of messing around with a brush for the marinade, just dunk the piece right back into the marinade bucket before you flip it over. worked great

GaelicSoxFan

Time Lord
Donator
Liked Posts:
For pork chops, I use either steak sauce or Italian salad dressing as a marinade. Sometimes I'll use a rub that is 1 tbsp. cinnamon, 1/2 tbsp. dried thyme, 1/4 tbsp onion salt and 1/4 tbsp. dried mustard.

Also, don't just throw a piece of meat on one side, let it cook, then turn it over. To start off, cook it on each side for about 1-2 minutes to sear it and keep the juices in.

Ever hear of the poke test? Touch each of your fingers on one hand to your thumb. Then using your free hand, poke the heel of your thumb. Then apply the principle to the meat.

Pointer finger: Rare
Bird finger: Medium rare
Ring finger: Medium
Pinky: Well done

Last edited:

Nick34

Liked Posts:
for tri-tip (briskett for you mid westerners) take about a cup of Worcestershire sauce and approx 1/3 cup soy sauce mixed together along with this Lawry's Online Store, and inject it into the meat.

let it sit about an hour or two..cook it fat side up to your likeness. what's also good with this, is injecting some garlic infused olive oil into the meat as well. but, be careful with it cause it's easy to inject too much and kill it with garlic